Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA 337.19 Beta Linux GPU Driver Released

Phoronix: NVIDIA 337.19 Beta Linux GPU Driver Released

After NVIDIA's 337 Linux driver series has already been in beta with the major new feature being Fermi/Kepler/Maxwell overclocking support, the latest beta has now been released...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

They removed a Linux feature to have parity with Windows (four monitors support). However, Linux driver isn't equal to Windows one. To install or update the driver under Linux I have to run some shitty text installer. When will nvidia provide graphical installation method and ability to easily upgrade the driver? Third party repositories don't count, because it's not nvidia's merit. They have to provide their own repository and an easy way to use it. Otherwise, they're just bunch of stupid hypocrites.

Comment

It is the job of the distributor to properly integrate everything that is part of the distribution. Nvidia's license explicitly allows repackaging the driver to facilitate this. On Arch, installing the Nvidia driver isn't any different than installing open drivers, it's just "pacman -S nvidia" instead of "pacman -S xf86-video-nouveau". I don't see what hypocrisy has anything to do with anything here. Especially when the driver provides its own GL stack that conflicts with mesa, and distros have different ways of dealing with that.

Even if nvidia were to have their own repo, how exactly would that work? A single repo is impossible, they'd have to have repos for each supported distribution, which would be a huge effort to maintain, and you can be sure there'd always be complaints that a particular distro isn't included. The current situation makes much more sense, Nvidia writes the driver and distros distribute it. That's what they're there for.
      Last edited by Gusar; 05 May 2014, 06:21 PM.

Comment

Fairly boring update, nothing serious get fixed/updated (especially for non quadro users).

Comment

Originally posted by tpruzina View Post
          Fairly boring update, nothing serious get fixed/updated (especially for non quadro users).
          I think theyr focus should be on wayland/mir now that they have a EGL driver.

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
            They removed a Linux feature to have parity with Windows (four monitors support). However, Linux driver isn't equal to Windows one. To install or update the driver under Linux I have to run some shitty text installer. When will nvidia provide graphical installation method and ability to easily upgrade the driver? Third party repositories don't count, because it's not nvidia's merit. They have to provide their own repository and an easy way to use it. Otherwise, they're just bunch of stupid hypocrites.
            yea, and support each and every distro package management and distro quirks? no, thanks. distros probably do 10x better job than nvidia ever could even if they put all employees on linux packaging

not to mention having it as part of regular update is much better than shitty executable which would need to be downloaded and installed manually.

Comment

To install or update the driver under Linux I have to run some shitty text installer. When will nvidia provide graphical installation method and ability to easily upgrade the driver? Third party repositories don't count, because it's not nvidia's merit. They have to provide their own repository and an easy way to use it. Otherwise, they're just bunch of stupid hypocrites.
              You dont sound like a linux user at all. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a text installer. Most users should be using the package manager anyway so users like you wont see it anyway.

Comment

What is the state of their Optimus support by now ?
                Do we still have to rely on hacks like Primus or Bumblebee ?
                I whish Valves puts some pressure on them to better support those configurations as well.

Comment

When I install the Nvidia driver, I do "sudo pacman -S nvidia" and I'm done. Don't blame Nvidia, blame the distro.

Comment

You must run some shitty distro, then.

Comment

Working...
                    X