Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA GeForce 337 Beta Driver Linux Overclocking Trials

Phoronix: NVIDIA GeForce 337 Beta Driver Linux Overclocking Trials

NVIDIA released their first 337 Linux driver beta earlier this week and it finally brings GPU overclocking support for the GeForce 400 "Fermi" series and newer, up through the latest-generation Maxwell graphics hardware.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I expected the results to turn out like this. GPUs don't benefit much from overclocking, because their processing power is more focused on number of threads. When it comes to GPUs, its in your best interest to pay a little extra for something with more stream processors and shaders rather than a higher core frequency, or, at least get something that you can crossfire/SLi later. I figure GPU overclocking works best when software isn't limited the total processing power. In other words, you could divide a heavy payload between several trucks, but if you're unable to divide the payload between all of the trucks, the only way to get the job done faster is to simply drive faster. But, as long as the rest of the fleet of trucks has to drive with you (rather than deliver the next payload), driving 5% faster isn't going to get the job done much faster.

Comment

hm!

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
      I expected the results to turn out like this. GPUs don't benefit much from overclocking, because their processing power is more focused on number of threads. When it comes to GPUs, its in your best interest to pay a little extra for something with more stream processors and shaders rather than a higher core frequency, or, at least get something that you can crossfire/SLi later. I figure GPU overclocking works best when software isn't limited the total processing power. In other words, you could divide a heavy payload between several trucks, but if you're unable to divide the payload between all of the trucks, the only way to get the job done faster is to simply drive faster. But, as long as the rest of the fleet of trucks has to drive with you (rather than deliver the next payload), driving 5% faster isn't going to get the job done much faster.
      depends of game and benchmark, if you have a 620m you notice a lot of difference, i can improve fps almost 25% in some games

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
        I have to give you a "thumbs up" for the comparison. Made me giggle.

Comment

Working...
        X