NVIDIA Will Support Newly-Dropped GPUs On Linux Through 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    Left to "just" the open source drivers ? I can't believe you typed that with a straight face.

Everyone wanted open source drivers instead of Catalyst and now we're complaining that we have to use the open source drivers ?

"Just" the open source drivers ? Sorry, I still can't believe you said that.

*bridgman bangs head on desk
    Yeah, I'm going to have to join you in the head+desk department. The r600g driver for the radeon 4xxx series is plenty sufficient, and I can't see many reasons why you'd want to use Catalyst over that unless you need one of the few OpenGL features/extensions that aren't implemented in r600g for those cards (or the minor performance difference actually matters for your use case). The only downside to radeon OSS drivers that could affect me is that UVD 1.x isn't supported for the 780/785/880g IGPs, and all of my systems that have those chips either are servers or also have a discrete radeon (well, the 880g laptop died a while ago, which is the only one that wouldn't have taken a discrete card).

Comment

I doubt their claims. It is unlikely that X server would survive till 2019. I don't think they will port legacy driver to Wayland. So they "might" support new X releases till 2019 but with the last X server version from e.g. 2017...

Comment

Originally posted by stikonas View Post
        I doubt their claims. It is unlikely that X server would survive till 2019. I don't think they will port legacy driver to Wayland. So they "might" support new X releases till 2019 but with the last X server version from e.g. 2017...
        Good point. X will probably survive even longer, and pre-fermi users will just have X11 and no proper 3D driver for Wayland or Mir. But the poor radeon users which just have the OSS driver have the liberty to choose. Cruel world, what irony

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
          Left to "just" the open source drivers ? I can't believe you typed that with a straight face.

Everyone wanted open source drivers instead of Catalyst and now we're complaining that we have to use the open source drivers ?

"Just" the open source drivers ? Sorry, I still can't believe you said that.

*bridgman bangs head on desk
          *Gives Bridgman a cookie* You know how Michael is, he's never 100% happy. Once upon a time, yes, he could say "Just the open source driver" but these days? Its in great shape.
          All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Just open source catalyst and deprecate the blob. No one is buying the "OpenGL secret scauce" argument against open sourcing anyway. It's cool that they want to reduce duplicate work by having just one kernel driver, but why stop there? That would make NVIDIA look like the only major GPU vendor that doesn't do things the Linux-way. Still the Linux support NVIDIA offers is outstanding, which kind of makes you forgive them not having open drivers.
            Last edited by blackout23; 28 March 2014, 01:02 PM.

Comment

I must admit that now I was forced to use just the opensource radeon drivers for my HD4890 (I actually had 2 cards, but there was no game that could max out a single card, and the airflow was terrible), I actually begin to like it.
              There are more games on steam that work properly on the opensource drivers while not working with the catalyst driver, than there are games that work better with the closed source drivers than with the open source drivers on this card.

Comment

Originally posted by Nuc!eoN View Post
                Finally some stuff for me:

I am not a fanboy.

The article is distorting the reality, meaning it suggests a suggests a critical way of thinking towards AMDs Linux support. Since leaving some facts out, I don't consider it being 100% accurate. Btw the author even suggests that it's just a Linux problem:

I have marked the striking words in bold red for you're convenience. (bold didn't seem to be enough)

My basic argument is said AMD sucks. In terms of long term support.
                (On a side note: I was raging when AMD annouced to drop my beloved HD 4770 and I was mainly bothered about Windows, since it's my OS of choice for playing games. Also there an outstanding bug on Windows, that those faggots are unwilling to fix. On Linux I use the Open Source driver.)

I am not saying the Author has done this out of purpose, but it maybe a simple lack of knowledge.

I am sorry to disappoint you, but this is a general Linux problem. AMD is not to blame here.

EDIT: Ah thanks @Ericg, I see you were faster than me
                Nope, is amd problem, because nvidia continue to support the latest kernel and xorgs with their blob driver. FANBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOY SONIC BOOOOOOOOM

Comment

My basic argument is said AMD sucks. In terms of long term support.
                  It is obvious how AMD support for graphics chips on linux look like for many years now: every 3 years approximately ATi and then AMD dropped support from fglrx. That was the same politics as of years 2006., 2009., 2012. and one can expect next year some cards will loose support (lets guess all non GCN cards will loose support in fglrx next year ) . And that is expected (otherwise i will be surprised )... in the meantime radeon driver for dropped and other chips evolving and they support ALL these cards... blah, blah. blah .

So that is understandible and it is good support model to me .

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
                    Just open source catalyst and deprecate the blob. No one is buying the "OpenGL secret scauce" argument against open sourcing anyway. It's cool that they want to reduce duplicate work by having just one kernel driver, but why stop there? That would make NVIDIA look like the only major GPU vendor that doesn't do things the Linux-way. Still the Linux support NVIDIA offers is outstanding, which kind of makes you forgive them not having open drivers.
                    They can't do it, for various reasons, like the authors not wanting to free their code, or not wanting to reveal "secret sauce". This is a for-profit company, you can't change their brains.

No, we shouldn't forgive people or companies for supplying proprietary code and technologies, even if they are amazing.
                    Last edited by Calinou; 28 March 2014, 03:08 PM.

Comment

This information distorts the reality. AMD didn't drop Legacy support for Linux alone, but also for Windows at the same time. I consider it misleading the way you posted it, inclining that AMD neglects Linux suport, while it's being the same for Windows. This is not the first that time that you ignored this fact in your articles.

Yes, but there is one thing that stands out. While the Windows driver recieved an update for it to work on Windows 8 you don't see them do the same to support newer kernels or newer X servers.

Comment

Working...
                      X