• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• phoronix
    started a topic NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti "Maxwell"

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti "Maxwell"

Phoronix: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti "Maxwell"

This morning NVIDIA is unveiling their "Maxwell" family of graphics processors that succeed Kepler. With some past generations of NVIDIA hardware we have had to wait a while as Linux users to see how they would work and perform under non-Windows platforms, but I can tell you this morning that the brand new GeForce GTX 750 Ti is already running great on Linux and is delivering terrific results as a sub-$200 mid-range NVIDIA graphics card. Here's the first Ubuntu Linux review of the GeForce GTX 750 Ti Maxwell graphics card.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=19899

• ageha
    replied
    Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
    Bios mods are doable with Kepler at least; I'm not sure about Maxwell, though. There may be warranty issues if something goes wrong while the non-default bios is flashed (and the non-default bios remains). Some cards have a dual bios feature which may be worth the premium if you are not willing to take a risk on that front.
    Patching the bios is definitely a solution. However, since Forceware 337.12 Beta overclocking is finally possible for Maxwell, Kepler and Fermi from the NVIDIA X server settings.

Leave a comment:

• stqn
    replied
    Originally posted by Autec View Post
    What CPU would you recommend for a linux system with 750 (Ti).
    I want a silent/power efficient system for office/internet use but which should also be able to handle World of Warcraft (1920 resolution under wine).
    Would a Intel Pentium G3420 be ok to start (saving 110 Euro compared with i5) with the possibility to upgrade in the future and keep the 750?
    All I can tell you is WoW is slow and ugly under Wine with my Core i3 550 (dual core + HT @ 3.2GHz) + nvidia GTX 660. The game doesn?t see the capabilities of the GPU correctly and most semi-advanced graphical options are disabled. I can get 60 fps is a mostly empty area (a village in the woods with no other player around) if I set all the options to low. The setting just above gives me 40 fps. Anything above is catastrophic (roughly <= 30 fps, I don?t remember exactly).

Leave a comment:

• Autec
    replied
    adequate CPU

What CPU would you recommend for a linux system with 750 (Ti).
    I want a silent/power efficient system for office/internet use but which should also be able to handle World of Warcraft (1920 resolution under wine).
    Would a Intel Pentium G3420 be ok to start (saving 110 Euro compared with i5) with the possibility to upgrade in the future and keep the 750?

Leave a comment:

• zoitberg
    replied
    H.264 10bit

Does anyone know, if Hi10p (H264 10bit) is working on this card?
    Maybe someone has tested it?

Leave a comment:

• AnonymousCoward
    replied
    Originally posted by ageha View Post
    Is there any way to overclock those cards without using Windows?
    Bios mods are doable with Kepler at least; I'm not sure about Maxwell, though. There may be warranty issues if something goes wrong while the non-default bios is flashed (and the non-default bios remains). Some cards have a dual bios feature which may be worth the premium if you are not willing to take a risk on that front.

Leave a comment:

• s56vpe
    replied
    Originally posted by peterd View Post
    Is it safe to say that I must install Ubuntu 14.04 in order for the NVIDIA GTX 750 Ti to work?
    I am trying to install Ubuntu 13.10 and right where the install goes into graphics mode
    my install stops. All I have is a flashing cursor.

In the process right now of downloading Ubuntu 14.04. If that does not work not sure
    what to do next.

Thanks
    Peter
    Finally made it to work on 13.10. I installed with the integrated haswell graphics (nvidia card removed). Then, put the card back in and boot into text mode (with "text nomodeset" parsed to GRUB), download and install the NVIDIA binary driver, blacklist nouveau and reboot. This is what finally made it work for me ... I had to disable the integrated graphics in BIOS, otherwise it kept locking up the computer.

Hope this helps someone,
    Peter

Leave a comment:

• hnonmai005
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael View Post
    I don't have the GTX 660. The comparison was limited to cards I have...
    good GPU

Leave a comment:

• ageha
    replied
    Overclockig

Is there any way to overclock those cards without using Windows?

Leave a comment:

• peterd
    replied
    NVIDIA GTX 750 Ti and Ubuntu 13.10

Is it safe to say that I must install Ubuntu 14.04 in order for the NVIDIA GTX 750 Ti to work?
    I am trying to install Ubuntu 13.10 and right where the install goes into graphics mode
    my install stops. All I have is a flashing cursor.

In the process right now of downloading Ubuntu 14.04. If that does not work not sure
    what to do next.

Thanks
    Peter

Leave a comment:

Working...
X