NVIDIA 334.16 Beta Supports 64-bit EGL / OpenGL ES

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by computerquip View Post
    Its my understanding that the proprietary drivers implement their own KMS. What is required exactly from in-kernel KMS that the binary blob doesn't do?
    haven't really gone that deep
    it's a different API afaik from the kernels KMS

Comment

Originally posted by gens View Post
      Wayland doesn't depend on KMS. That's a popular myth.

I wondered in the past few days when they'd release a new beta driver. It's clear that they are working to get their drivers ready for Wayland and Mir with EGL. What will be interesting is if they implement XWayland support. From what I know the xf86-video-* DDXs all have their own XWayland patches so the closed drivers would need them aswell I guess. It would probably not be that hard for NVIDIA but, when there isn't even a version of Xwayland that is shipping with X.Org. I think they will only start working towards that once X11 1.16 ships with XWayland hopefully.

There seems to be a patch for 3.13 support.

Arch Linux has it built into the driver packages in [testing] which holds the 3.13 kernel.
      Last edited by blackout23; 07 February 2014, 06:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
        Wayland doesn't depend on KMS. That's a popular myth.

I wondered in the past few days when they'd release a new beta driver. It's clear that they are working to get their drivers ready for Wayland and Mir with EGL. What will be interesting is if they implement XWayland support. From what I know the xf86-video-* DDXs all have their own XWayland patches so the closed drivers would need them aswell I guess. It would probably not be that hard for NVIDIA but, when there isn't even a version of Xwayland that is shipping with X.Org. I think they will only start working towards that once X11 1.16 ships with XWayland hopefully.

There seems to be a patch for 3.13 support.
        mmm
        good to know

if that patch breaks with multiple graphics card people can try
        Hello, I have an issue with my laptop, an Asus UX32VD, which contains an Intel and an NVIDIA card. I cannot start X with the nvidia driver. I just get this dmesg output: [ 394.257053] vgaarb: this pci device is not a vga device [ 394.258602] nvidia 0000:01:00.0: irq 48 for MSI/MSI-X [ 394.279766] NVRM: failed to copy vbios to system memory. [ 394.285849] NVRM: RmInitAdapter failed! (0x30:0xffffffff:720) [ 394.285872] NVRM: rm_init_adapter failed for device bearing minor number 0 [ 394.28...

Comment

Added 64-bit EGL and OpenGL ES libraries to 64-bit driver prackages
          What is a prackage? A prank package?

Comment

Originally posted by gens View Post
            And KMS isn't needed for anything as long as the driver provides its own mechanism. As has been said mainy times before, the lack of KMS is a moot point in the NVidia driver.

Comment

Originally posted by bakgwailo View Post
              And KMS isn't needed for anything as long as the driver provides its own mechanism. As has been said mainy times before, the lack of KMS is a moot point in the NVidia driver.
              also a couple posts up

Comment

Originally posted by bakgwailo View Post
                It's needed for a KMS console framebuffer. Also, the kernel can display error messages when it panics even if you're in X11. Without KMS, all you see is a frozen X11 screen. You'll never see the kernel error message.

Windows has the BSOD for this purpose. Linux has KMS for this.
                Last edited by RealNC; 08 February 2014, 05:19 AM.

Comment

KMS is also needed for a clean, graphical, flicker-free boot. NVIDIA still has large smudgy VESA characters.

Comment

Originally posted by Tobu View Post
                    KMS is also needed for a clean, graphical, flicker-free boot. NVIDIA still has large smudgy VESA characters.
                    Nope that's another popular myth. It's because of fbcon.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                      Also, the kernel can display error messages when it panics even if you're in X11. Without KMS, all you see is a frozen X11 screen. You'll never see the kernel error message.

Windows has the BSOD for this purpose. Linux has KMS for this.
                      No, Linux has the drm panic notifier for this. There's no reason why Nvidia couldn't have their own panic notifier in their driver that simply switches away from X, as the drm panic notifier does. So again, KMS is not a requirement, it's just one possible way to implement something.

Comment

Working...
                      X