Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA 331.38 Linux Driver Brings Many Changes

Phoronix: NVIDIA 331.38 Linux Driver Brings Many Changes

It's been a while since the last official mainline NVIDIA Linux graphics update, but that changed this morning with the debut of the exciting NVIDIA 331.38 Linux GPU driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hopefully this release fixes the problem that has been crashing Firefox that many are reporting from recent past versions.

Error to fix;
    Code:
    GLib-CRITICAL **: g_slice_set_config: assertion `sys_page_size == 0' failed
    Happens when Firefox opens up dialogue boxes and other window gnome containers.

Comment

Xorg ABI 15? Or need I still stay with the legacy driver 319?

Comment

Originally posted by dragonn View Post
        YES!! Exactly what dragonn said. This has been a real headache that is holding me back from doing lots of upgrades due to the X.org incompatibility and the fact that a whole bunch of dependent packages can't be upgraded until the driver works with the new ABI.

Comment

"Added NV-CONTROL attributes to control the brightness of the illuminated logos on certain graphics boards."

^^ Holy shiznit, that's like the most important thing evaa!!

Originally posted by e8hffff View Post
          Hopefully this release fixes the problem that has been crashing Firefox that many are reporting from recent past versions.

Error to fix;
          Code:
          GLib-CRITICAL **: g_slice_set_config: assertion `sys_page_size == 0' failed
          Happens when Firefox opens up dialogue boxes and other window gnome containers.
          I get that message all the time, and yet no crashes. The message is unrelated to the crash you're experiencing. And I don't think it actually has anything to do with graphics.

Originally posted by chuckula View Post
          YES!! Exactly what dragonn said. This has been a real headache that is holding me back from doing lots of upgrades due to the X.org incompatibility and the fact that a whole bunch of dependent packages can't be upgraded until the driver works with the new ABI.
          Just install 319.82? Also, the only packages that depend on Xorg ABI are video and input drivers. So I'd be interested which packages beyond xf86-input-evdev and xf86-input-synaptics you're unable to upgrade.

Anyway, has someone actually tried this with xorg-server 1.15 to make sure it really doesn't work? The changelog doesn't mention anything regarding it, but I'd find it extremely weird for Nvidia to release a new driver without support for it.
          Last edited by Gusar; 13 January 2014, 10:41 AM.

Comment

I bought a GTX 660 card two days ago and indeed Firefox crashed twice in a row the first time I booted after installing the card and the nvidia blob (331.20), for no apparent reason. It hasn?t crashed since?

Also concerned about the lack of Xorg 1.15 support in the announcement; I know it?s currently waiting in the Arch Linux [testing] repository, so it shouldn?t be long until it appears for all users.

(Apart from that I?ve had no problem with the card, works great .)

Comment

Hmm, yea, I had a lot of Firefox crashes on FF 26. I ended up downgrading to FF 25 to avoid them. If this update fixes it, it would be nice to know so I could upgrade back.

Comment

Originally posted by dragonn View Post

X.Org** 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, 1.5, 1.6, 1.7, 1.8, 1.9, 1.10, 1.11, 1.12, 1.13, 1.14, 1.15 Xorg -version
                Unless it's not lazy copy-paste from 319.82 readme, it should support xorg 1.15.

Comment

Originally posted by Gusar View Post
                  Just install 319.82? Also, the only packages that depend on Xorg ABI are video and input drivers. So I'd be interested which packages beyond xf86-input-evdev and xf86-input-synaptics you're unable to upgrade.
                  Oh, it's more complicated than that. I'm on Arch linux where the maintainers recently decided to upgrade libgcrypt to a new version that is incompatible with older versions of libgcrypt. Libgcrypt is a dependency for x.org but also for a crapton of other packages including systemd and the gpgme package that is used by pacman (the package manager) to verify the authenticity of downloaded packages.

Package dependencies get a LOT more complicated than they appear on the surface. Basically I can't upgrade anything until Nvidia gets the 331 drivers sorted out, and it appears that they have done so.

Comment

Just recompile whatever xorg-server you're using against the new libgcrypt. Or compile it against openssl, that's possible too. Then everything tied to the new libgcrypt can be updated.

No complications whatsoever.

Comment

Working...
                    X