SteamOS vs. Windows 8.1 NVIDIA Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

keep on the good work.

as for ppl who are nagging same thing, this might answer a little. although i trully don't see the benefit of closed source solution benchmarks. if anything, from benchmarking oss games should be easier to see where bottlenecks come from as you can check what was running under the hood
    Today there are two tests to showcase. One is showcasing Dota 2 on a GTX 680 in both Operating Systems, and the other is showcasing Dota 2 on an Intel HD 4600 iGPU in both Operating Systems.

Today I present to you another comparison video, this time around running Unigine's Heaven benchmark. The Heaven benchmark is very demanding on even the latest hardware, so I was interested to see how Ubuntu, a Linux distro, would handle the stress in comparison to Windows 8.

Today I bring you a smaller but new test I did recently with my system. I wanted to see what the actual performance difference was when running Left 4 Dead 2 natively in Ubuntu 13.04 versus running it in Windows 8.

it is only one google search away, you know.

Comment

Originally posted by SyXbiT View Post
      I know you've said that it's near impossible for you to benchmark real commercial games (like Half Life 2), but to be honest, I don't care about any of the Open Source game benchmarks you keep posting. I don't play them and never will (maybe I speak for several people.).
      The only games (and therefore, benchmarks) I care about, are real commercial games: Half Life, Portal, Left 4 Dead, Metro Last Light etc..
      I wonder here you saw that unigine is opensource.

Comment

What gets me is why he don't use the score from Unigine benchmarks, ya know, cus that's what it's there for

I did ask on another article but never got a reply.

Apart from that makes it easy to compare across Distros/Platforms/Hardware etc.

Comment

It still amazes me how people here don't understand the point of these tests. It isn't about testing how playable a game is on linux, its about how much better/worse linux is compared to windows, and these tests work just fine for that. While I'm not disagreeing that it'd be more relevant to see tests of modern AAA games, if you already own the game, why do you care? If you don't own the game, a simple google search will tell you how it plays.

The problem at hand is suppose Michael supports something like Metro LL, the requests will never end. There will NEVER be a point where someone doesn't complain about a game not on his list.

Comment

Originally posted by SyXbiT View Post
            I know you've said that it's near impossible for you to benchmark real commercial games (like Half Life 2), but to be honest, I don't care about any of the Open Source game benchmarks you keep posting. I don't play them and never will (maybe I speak for several people.).
            The only games (and therefore, benchmarks) I care about, are real commercial games: Half Life, Portal, Left 4 Dead, Metro Last Light etc..
            I know you feel bro, jaja. But a benchmark is a test to compare 2 PC, in this case to compare the performance between OS in the same PC. The performance is the same, but Windows has more games...

Comment

What will be interesting to see (some day) are the Direct3D vs. OpenGL benchmarks. Since, in practice, Windows gamers and developers are using Direct3D.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
                What will be interesting to see (some day) are the Direct3D vs. OpenGL benchmarks. Since, in practice, Windows gamers and developers are using Direct3D.
                Yes, we need comparison against Direc3D because that's the default for Windows. And I guess the actual difference in performance is even more in favor of Windows if you consider the fact that Direct3D is faster then OpenGL in most cases. Let's see how much can Valve help in improving OpenGL performance on Linux.
                Christophe Riccio OpenGL OpenCL GLSL C++ XML Graphics Rendering Photography GeForce Radeon

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
                  Yes, we need comparison against Direc3D because that's the default for Windows. And I guess the actual difference in performance is even more in favor of Windows if you consider the fact that Direct3D is faster then OpenGL in most cases. Let's see how much can Valve help in improving OpenGL performance on Linux.
                  http://www.g-truc.net/post-0547.html
                  correct me if i'm wrong, but unigine benchmarks all support directx.

Comment

Didn't expect this performance on an RT kernel, although never tested an rt kernel myself. Wil install steamos this weekend, curious how the game play 'feels'.

Since its based on debian, its save to asume they wil go for wayland when its ready *ducks and runs*

Comment

Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post
                      correct me if i'm wrong, but unigine benchmarks all support directx.
                      http://unigine.com/products/heaven/
                      Yes, Unigine supports DirectX but I don't think it was using it in the results of this article. I think this article's test was using OpenGL on both SteamOS and Windows.

Comment

Working...
                      X