• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tomtomme
    replied
    missing game benchmarks

What the heck?
    Why aren?t all game benchmarks Michael ran shown in the article?
    There are only graphs for xonotic and openarena, but michael ran als Warsow, Nexuiz, reaction quake 3, unvanquished and counter strike source.

look here http://openbenchmarking.org/result/1...SO-GTX780TIN09

If you look at those numbers you see the nvidia gtx 770 winning clearly 5 games, 3 are almost same fps as for R9 290. For the synthetical benchmarks the 770 wins 8 times, and loses 3 times.

Leave a comment:

• bobwya
    replied
    @Michael,

You've just confirmed my next GPU purchase. I always cherry pick a high-end card and stick with it for a decade (price you pay for water-cooling )...

For also those complaining about Nvidia driver support for Linux - try running the shitty FGLRX/Catalyst drivers with a vaguely up-to-date or rolling distro... You will be weeping blood after a few days Personally not had any problems with Nvidia drivers (Arch, Gentoo, OpenSUSE, Mageia) - except for Canonicals insistence on packaging multiple version of the Nvidia driver, all with different kernel module names (perhaps they are too busy developing a phone/tablet OS that will probably never work or sell??)

Thanks
    Bob

Leave a comment:

• peppercats
    replied
    Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
    What's wrong with Debian?

Or are you one of those Ubuntards who started using Linux 3 weeks ago and haven't heard of Debian because it doesn't show up on your Software Center?
    I'm just one of the people that prefer software from this decade, I've never had a driver issue on Fedora when using nvidia proprietary even though my kernel is changing nearly daily.

Leave a comment:

• deanjo
    replied
    Originally posted by RealNC View Post
    An overpriced piece of hardware again. No, thank you.
    Looking at the cost per performance ratio, I agree, AMD cards do not offer a compelling ratio in linux.

Leave a comment:

• RealNC
    replied
    An overpriced piece of hardware again. No, thank you.

Leave a comment:

• pingufunkybeat
    replied
    Originally posted by peppercats View Post
    Consider using a modern desktop linux distro instead of gnewsense.
    What's wrong with Debian?

Or are you one of those Ubuntards who started using Linux 3 weeks ago and haven't heard of Debian because it doesn't show up on your Software Center?

Leave a comment:

• md1032
    replied
    Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
    Never had that problem in two years. :P Arch maintainers know what they are doing.
    That's because pingufunkybeat got the problem wrong. You need the same version of gcc that the distribution used to compile the kernel, not the one nvidia used to compile the driver.

Leave a comment:

• deanjo
    replied
    Originally posted by Luke View Post
    With VDPAU on either brand, the GPU plays the video and the CPU need only feed it the file, thus allowing older machines to be made capable of playing any video with just a graphics card change. Even Flash can be made to use VDPAU, though it does not be default in Linux.

For a Pentium II, however,. you will need a card which is compatable with an early version of AGP and yet has an H264 capable video decoding bloc, else a PCI card and enough CPU let over to handle the copying overhead for X with a video playing.,

What exactly did you use in your Pentium II test? With Atom I assume you mean nettop boards with a PCI-e slot, these are like Pentium 4s so far as video playback is concerned, though much slower to edit it.
    I've ran VDPAU on a 8400GS PCI card on a PII. As far as the atom goes, no I was talking about the nVidia ION based atom boards which are still popular in the XBMC crowd.

Leave a comment:

• Luke
    replied
    Which Nvidia cards are you using?

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
    An nvidia card can do it with a PII or Atom BTW ;D.
    With VDPAU on either brand, the GPU plays the video and the CPU need only feed it the file, thus allowing older machines to be made capable of playing any video with just a graphics card change. Even Flash can be made to use VDPAU, though it does not be default in Linux.

For a Pentium II, however,. you will need a card which is compatable with an early version of AGP and yet has an H264 capable video decoding bloc, else a PCI card and enough CPU let over to handle the copying overhead for X with a video playing.,

What exactly did you use in your Pentium II test? With Atom I assume you mean nettop boards with a PCI-e slot, these are like Pentium 4s so far as video playback is concerned, though much slower to edit it.

Leave a comment:

• peppercats
    replied
    Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
    Have fun upgrading the kernel and finding out that you used a different version of gcc from the one nvidia used, and getting stuck in console mode to debug it.
    Consider using a modern desktop linux distro instead of gnewsense.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X