Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Ti Steams Ahead On Linux

Phoronix: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Ti Steams Ahead On Linux

As some good news for the Linux graphics community after discovering the AMD Radeon R9 290 is currently a big disappointment on Linux (likely due to the Linux Catalyst driver not being kept up as well as the Windows Catalyst version), I was testing the GeForce GTX 780 Ti along with some other new NVIDIA GPUs and it's been a breeze. The GeForce GTX 780 Ti in particular has been a beauty on Linux and is the focus of today's Linux hardware review.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Buying an AMD graphics card for Linux is throwing money away, the nvidia proprietary driver is the only thing close to a mature graphics driver.

The AMD drivers on windows are pretty crap to begin with, so it's not like... surprising.

Comment

Wake me when their open source drivers beat Intel's.
      Until then, I share Linus's sentiment with regards nvidia.

Comment

Thanks for putting the GTX 760 and HD 7950 on the same benchmark.

Comment

Originally posted by giblets View Post
          Until then, I share Linus's sentiment with regards nvidia.
          Have fun with super tux cart.

Comment

Originally posted by giblets View Post
            Wake me when Intel GPU are good for serious 3D work and gaming.

Originally posted by peppercats View Post
            Buying an AMD graphics card for Linux is throwing money away, the nvidia proprietary driver is the only thing close to a mature graphics driver.
            Indeed and I am getting tired to have no choice but to buy nvidia GPU to get high performance and reliability under Linux. SteamOS has been discussed for months with claims that AMD would improve their Linux support, and the result is still to be seen

Comment

Pricing doesn't sound right

At the time of writing, the GeForce GTX 780 Ti is retailing for just over $500 USD while the GeForce GTX TITAN is still command a one thousand dollar price tag. On the AMD Radeon side the R9 290 is going for just above $400 USD and the flagship R9 290X is selling for $550 and up.
              I think the site you checked must have listed the card wrong as everywhere I've checked it is the GTX 780 (Non Ti) which is priced just over $500 USD and the price of the Ti version is $700.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
                Have fun with super tux cart.
                Have fun upgrading the kernel and finding out that you used a different version of gcc from the one nvidia used, and getting stuck in console mode to debug it.

Comment

Originally posted by ldesnogu View Post
                  Indeed and I am getting tired to have no choice but to buy nvidia GPU to get high performance and reliability under Linux. SteamOS has been discussed for months with claims that AMD would improve their Linux support, and the result is still to be seen
                  I'll grant you performance, but what exactly is the problem with Intel and AMD free driver reliability?

More FUD.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
                    I'll grant you performance, but what exactly is the problem with Intel and AMD free driver reliability?

More FUD.
                    You're changing my wording, I specifically linked "performance and reliability". I don't want one or the other, I want both to benefit now from the hardware I bought.

Comment

Working...
                    X