No announcement yet.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Ti Steams Ahead On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't wait to get an nVidia based Steam Machine to replace my PS3.

Comment

Nothing wrong with open source games, try 0ad

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
      Have fun with super tux cart.
      I've enjoyed 0ad, another open source game for about a year now. Yes, I could pay for similar pay games if I wanted to deal with DRM, make a steam account, and run closed binaries. The only advantage would be (maybe) a multithreaded game engine on the CPU side, which is a big deal in RTS games. I would rather let the game slow down when there are 600+ fighters on screen than pay for closed development.

What do you have against Super Tux Cart anyway? Not all games were written for people with expensive systems and long hours to kill.

Comment

Open games and open drivers do go great together

Originally posted by Luke View Post
        What do you have against Super Tux Cart anyway? Not all games were written for people with expensive systems and long hours to kill.
        One more point: I've had GREAT results with the open Radeon driver on an HD 6750. It can play 1080p video in VDPAU, even if I pull it out of Bulldozer and drop it in a Pentium 4. Power management as same as AMD's blob, recently opened and working fine. Will display anything the CPU can send to it in 0ad, pull up to 90fps in Scorched3d's lightest maps, down to about 30 on the heaviest with many trees. Was able to play those games even back in Summer 2012. As of now, even Nouveau on a GTS450, running without the newly-released power management, has risen from 11 fps to about 30 on Scorched 3d. Parity with Radeon expected as PM code matures.

Comment

Wake me when Intel GPU are good for serious 3D work and gaming.
          I've been playing WoW, Rogue Legacy, Crusder Kings, TF2, and Dota2 just fine at 1080p with an hd4600 between 40 and 60 fps. Just can't turn on shadows or AA.

Comment

It can play 1080p video in VDPAU, even if I pull it out of Bulldozer and drop it in a Pentium 4.
            An nvidia card can do it with a PII or Atom BTW ;D.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
              Have fun upgrading the kernel and finding out that you used a different version of gcc from the one nvidia used, and getting stuck in console mode to debug it.
              Consider using a modern desktop linux distro instead of gnewsense.

Comment

Which Nvidia cards are you using?

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                An nvidia card can do it with a PII or Atom BTW ;D.
                With VDPAU on either brand, the GPU plays the video and the CPU need only feed it the file, thus allowing older machines to be made capable of playing any video with just a graphics card change. Even Flash can be made to use VDPAU, though it does not be default in Linux.

For a Pentium II, however,. you will need a card which is compatable with an early version of AGP and yet has an H264 capable video decoding bloc, else a PCI card and enough CPU let over to handle the copying overhead for X with a video playing.,

What exactly did you use in your Pentium II test? With Atom I assume you mean nettop boards with a PCI-e slot, these are like Pentium 4s so far as video playback is concerned, though much slower to edit it.

Comment

With VDPAU on either brand, the GPU plays the video and the CPU need only feed it the file, thus allowing older machines to be made capable of playing any video with just a graphics card change. Even Flash can be made to use VDPAU, though it does not be default in Linux.

For a Pentium II, however,. you will need a card which is compatable with an early version of AGP and yet has an H264 capable video decoding bloc, else a PCI card and enough CPU let over to handle the copying overhead for X with a video playing.,

What exactly did you use in your Pentium II test? With Atom I assume you mean nettop boards with a PCI-e slot, these are like Pentium 4s so far as video playback is concerned, though much slower to edit it.
                  I've ran VDPAU on a 8400GS PCI card on a PII. As far as the atom goes, no I was talking about the nVidia ION based atom boards which are still popular in the XBMC crowd.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
                    Never had that problem in two years. :P Arch maintainers know what they are doing.
                    That's because pingufunkybeat got the problem wrong. You need the same version of gcc that the distribution used to compile the kernel, not the one nvidia used to compile the driver.

Comment

Originally posted by peppercats View Post
                      Consider using a modern desktop linux distro instead of gnewsense.
                      What's wrong with Debian?

Or are you one of those Ubuntards who started using Linux 3 weeks ago and haven't heard of Debian because it doesn't show up on your Software Center?

Comment

Working...
                      X