• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• phoronix
    started a topic NVIDIA, Mentor Graphics May Harm GCC

NVIDIA, Mentor Graphics May Harm GCC

Phoronix: NVIDIA, Mentor Graphics May Harm GCC

Yesterday there was news that OpenACC 2.0 parallel programming support was coming to GCC complete with GPU acceleration support for NVIDIA GPUs. While it was exciting on the surface, it appears that this work may be poisonous and could have a very tough time making it upstream...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTUxNjM

• ldesnogu
    replied
    Here's the link to nvidia/PGI OpenACC compiler https://developer.nvidia.com/pgi-acc...nd-c-compilers

Leave a comment:

• ldesnogu
    replied
    Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
    Then why do they want to infect gcc with their malicious code
    Because they actually like open source?

Leave a comment:

• AnonymousCoward
    replied
    Originally posted by ldesnogu View Post
    I think nvidia already got an OpenACC compiler from buying PGI
    Then why do they want to infect gcc with their malicious code

Leave a comment:

• johnc
    replied
    I'm dismissing you as absurd johnc@nvidia.com. Why don't you guys @nvidia develop your own OpenACC compiler suite instead of leeching off open source projects?
    I do not work at or for or own stock in either nvidia, amd or intel.

Leave a comment:

• ldesnogu
    replied
    I'm dismissing you as absurd johnc@nvidia.com. Why don't you guys @nvidia develop your own OpenACC compiler suite instead of leeching off open source projects?
    I think nvidia already got an OpenACC compiler from buying PGI

Leave a comment:

• AnonymousCoward
    replied
    Originally posted by johnc View Post
    I'm not ignoring your concerns, I'm dismissing them as absurd.

Leave a comment:

• johnc
    replied
    Originally posted by Nille View Post
    Its not our problem if you ignore the point of concerns.
    I'm not ignoring your concerns, I'm dismissing them as absurd.

Leave a comment:

• ldesnogu
    replied
    Originally posted by IanS View Post
    Actually, if you had any clue you would know that OpenACC is for heterogeneous parallel computing, which means using all available processing resources, both CPUs and GPUs. The examples I posted are to prove your statement false about those companies not posting documentation and to quiet those dumb enough to use your post as their primary source on the topic of ASI documentation availability instead of taking a few minutes to check for themselves.
    So where is ARM GPU documentation? As a reminder here is my original post:

Originally posted by ldesnogu View Post
    As far as I know ARM doesn't provide documentation for their GPUs. Imagination don't either. And Qualcomm don't.

In fact, I guess only Intel and AMD have provided doc for their instruction set, so Michael's contact seems wrong about everyone publishing documentation...
    I added the highlight just in case you can't see it.

As Nille just wrote all of this discussion has been around GPU and my message explicitly stated GPU.

Leave a comment:

• Nille
    replied
    Originally posted by IanS View Post
    Actually, if you had any clue you would know that OpenACC is for heterogeneous parallel computing, which means using all available processing resources, both CPUs and GPUs. The examples I posted are to prove your statement false about those companies not posting documentation and to quiet those dumb enough to use your post as their primary source on the topic of ASI documentation availability instead of taking a few minutes to check for themselves.
    From the start we talk about GPU ISA end the Article write about GPU ISA.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X