NVIDIA, Mentor Graphics May Harm GCC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by johnc View Post
    GCC can be used to create non-free output... hence I'm not seeing the problem here.
    Round and round we go weeee.

The problem is obvious your mind is so closed you can not accept any of the reasoned responses myself and others have given. Licencing is not the issue here and never has been. This is a matter of principals.
    Yes you can create non-free output but this is a side effect that is allowed rather than an explicit goal. Targeting PTX in gcc would have no other use than to produce non-free output as I have explained multiple times and so have others here:

Originally posted by IanS View Post
    There is nothing about this that would violate the license of the GCC, but since GCC is managed by the very political FSF one does have to consider what sort of implications this holds for FSF and their Free software agenda. (Whether or not you agree with that agenda is not at issue here, but it must be recognized as a valid consideration in their decision on accepting this into one of their projects.)

Comment

Originally posted by Temar View Post
      but about the new backend which obviously requires a nvidia card.
      And not only a Nvidia Card it also requie the hole Nvidia BLOB.

Comment

Originally posted by IanS View Post
        ARM:

Imagination:

Qualcomm:
        You need to sign up with https://developer.qualcomm.com/ to access anything useful that is specific to Qualcomm products, but both Adreno and Snapdragon use the ARM ISA anyhow so it isn't a big deal in this case.

It took me less than 5 minutes to find all of this.
        And all are only for the CPU and not GPU

Comment

In the hole discussion it look like some people forget something. The Topic is not only the Output. We have a API in GCC, Open ACC. The Hole API is only usable if you has a Nvidia Card and use the Nvidia BLOB. So i don't care if the GCC can create a Output for the CUDA Runtime, but i have a problem with it if they don't support the FOSS Way. This means the OpenCL Runtime of a other FOSS Runtime or a documented Instruction Set.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post
            In the hole discussion it look like some people forget something. The Topic is not only the Output. We have a API in GCC, Open ACC. The Hole API is only usable if you has a Nvidia Card and use the Nvidia BLOB. So i don't care if the GCC can create a Output for the CUDA Runtime, but i have a problem with it if they don't support the FOSS Way. This means the OpenCL Runtime of a other FOSS Runtime or a documented Instruction Set.
            It's not only for nvidia hw, OpenACC has opencl support too, and it can be used with radeon gpus.

PGI Booth #2509:

PGI showing OpenACC performance portability with one binary running on both AMD and NVIDIA GPUs
            So one binary which uses nvidia/cuda and amd/opencl at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by tuke81 View Post
              It's not only for nvidia hw, OpenACC has opencl support too, and it can be used with radeon gpus.http://www.openacc.org/SC2013
              And this support is in GCC? Its not like that OpenACC is completely new. The New thing is now the support in the GCC and i see only that there is CUDA supported.

Comment

And this support is in GCC? Its not like that OpenACC is completely new. The New thing is now the support in the GCC and i see only that there is CUDA supported.
                Well I don't really know. But gcc policy is not to accept any standard only partially. OpenCL1.2 is in OpenACC2.0(which Mentor talks). So if Mentor want's openACC to gcc it have to be whole thing not only part of it. It's like a situation with openMP, which have to use it's own dev-branch gomp before getting accepted to gcc:

Comment

And not only a Nvidia Card it also requie the hole Nvidia BLOB.
                  How many Oak Ridge-like Titan supercomputers are using the nouveau driver?

Comment

Originally posted by tarceri View Post
                    Round and round we go weeee.

The problem is obvious your mind is so closed you can not accept any of the reasoned responses myself and others have given. Licencing is not the issue here and never has been. This is a matter of principals.
                    Yes you can create non-free output but this is a side effect that is allowed rather than an explicit goal. Targeting PTX in gcc would have no other use than to produce non-free output as I have explained multiple times and so have others here:
                    Clearly we're doomed then. We need another article proclaiming the death of GCC at the hands of nvidia.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
                      How many Oak Ridge-like Titan supercomputers are using the nouveau driver?
                      Where is the Point?

Comment

Working...
                      X