NVIDIA GeForce GT 610 On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JoseJX View Post
    Can you explain why? I'm currently running a fanless GT210 in my HTPC which is a much weaker card and it works great.
    I tried the 610 with linux and windows, and my experience was not good, the video playback wasn't totally fluent and the unity/gnome shell, wasn't good, ( asus gt 610 ddr3). With windows, mpc media player wans't fluent if I used madr for anime. After I buyed a gt630 and the things changed.

Comment

Originally posted by madjr View Post
      The GT 630 for like $10 or $15 more is better option IMO.
      It's probably also more power hungry and / or noisy.

Comment

I am still unconvinced about the usefulness of a low-end dedicated graphics card like the GT610 when the onboard graphics on AMD's APUs and Intel's CPUs have reached a point where they are good enough for low-end gaming and still consume lesser power.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
          It's probably also more power hungry and / or noisy.
          This is possible but on GT630 (fermi 40nm (96 shaders) based around 50w) on my case i have zotac geforce GT630 (Kepler (384 shaders) GK208 28nm) zone edition passive, this card consume 25w but GT610 (GT 520 (Fermi 40nm) Renamed) consume 30w

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
            I am still unconvinced about the usefulness of a low-end dedicated graphics card like the GT610 when the onboard graphics on AMD's APUs and Intel's CPUs have reached a point where they are good enough for low-end gaming and still consume lesser power.
            People buy these cards because most of the integrated graphics doesn?t support 2560x1600 or 2560 1440 resolution. I don?t think any intel cpu supports dual link. For amd, their apus support it, but motherboard also needs to support it to work. I would never buy this card as I can just pay little bit more to get much better card (performance wise), but some people just want their displays to show stuff. They don?t care about how much fps they can get in the game.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
              Evga version of 610 is even cheaper on Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130815
              I do not recommend that if you want to run it with nouveau: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=70566 . Altough I do have an aged mobo, I recommend you do not purchase that specific card.

Furthermore, the article states that some results will be worse with nouveau. That is true, but the nouveau driver runs UrbanTerror quite decent actually. The only thing that is not working is adjusting the brightness.

But for now, I'm stuck with the blob .

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
                Yes, I would agree. I'm looking at upgrading an old antec fusion HPTC that has an nvidia 8600gt silent and amd 6000 x 2 (125W - Yes I know, it was lying around) to an AMD A10-6700 (65w), 8gb 1866mhz mem and a FM2+ mobo with just using the on chip graphics. The Radeon HD 8670D I believe gives roughly nvidia 640 performance and the CPU is roughly I3 ivy bridge. It will be used for some moderate gaming by my daughter (eg minecraft, sims 3 etc) and I was wondering if anyone has built anything similar and what are their thoughts ?

NB my budget is about 240 euros

Thanks

Comment

Amd 5450

I was glad to see this vs. the 5450 from AMD, which I use in my downstairs "steam box." I mainly play the less demanding games on that (i.e. Super Meat Boy, etc). That 5450 was purchased 2 years ago, so this is funny to see vs. a "new" card.

Comment

Originally posted by pandev92 View Post
                    I recommend minimum, the nvidia gt620 for an htcp, the gt610 is a completely waste of money.
                    Not necessarily. If you are after just great HD playback, proper working HD audio and a passive solution the GT-520/GT-610 fits the bill perfectly.

Comment

Working...
                    X