No announcement yet.

NVIDIA Updates Legacy Driver For Decade-Old GPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

and to think that you can't even use radeon igp 350/345/340 anymore in linux (ok you can as vesa but its just shit)

fuck you amd and fuck you xorg

that retarded finn flipped off the wrong cmpany, between NO drivers and bin divers guess what I would prefer????

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
      Huh 6 and 7 are legacy? Okay, but what is NV11 and NV20 (Geforce 2 MX and Geforce 3) then?
      Archaic.

Being the owner of a 7900, I'm happy to know I'm still being supported, on the other hand, I don't even use that GPU in linux at the moment.

As for people bashing AMD - their open source drivers support pretty old devices, and their open source drivers on legacy devices are pretty much on-par with catalyst. I personally consider anything older than the HD series to be legacy.

Comment

That's why I have been a Nvidia customer for years now. I do not even own such old cards anymore, switched to newer models a long time ago. However, this kind of support confirms me in every purchase I make. Well done Nvidia. I don't need open drivers, I want a working system which gives me access to all of the hardware's capabilities.

Tried some AMD cards from time to time, but they were all replaced pretty quickly by Nvidia cards. I either sent them back or just bought a new Nvidia card out of frustration. AMD might be an option in a few years when their Open Source driver is finally ready and supports all hardware features with decent performance. For now, I'll stick with Nvidia.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          Archaic.
          ... their open source drivers on legacy devices are pretty much on-par with catalyst.
          Hmm, as per this phoronix article http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...310r600g&num=1, also from today, Michael's findings seem to reach a different conclusion.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
            As for people bashing AMD - their open source drivers support pretty old devices, and their open source drivers on legacy devices are pretty much on-par with catalyst.
            lololol a wild amd troll appears...

really?? which ones? I have here lots of old laptops with shit like rs200 r3 sum shit and they don't even load the driver... hey it's ok coz when they did the performance was even worse than vesa or fb ololol

Comment

Originally posted by Temar View Post
              That's why I have been a Nvidia customer for years now. I do not even own such old cards anymore, switched to newer models a long time ago. However, this kind of support confirms me in every purchase I make. Well done Nvidia. I don't need open drivers, I want a working system which gives me access to all of the hardware's capabilities.

Tried some AMD cards from time to time, but they were all replaced pretty quickly by Nvidia cards. I either sent them back or just bought a new Nvidia card out of frustration. AMD might be an option in a few years when their Open Source driver is finally ready and supports all hardware features with decent performance. For now, I'll stick with Nvidia.
              The way I see it, AMD is just throwing bones from time to time to the open-source devs to support the older hardware. They're not rushing anywhere submitting documentation for the newer stuff. RadeonSI is shit and the hardware for it has been around for two years now. The fact that AMD is supporting open-source drivers and is OSS friendly is a "two birds with one stone" move.

1. They gain a bit of respect, compared to nvidia, about their commitment to FOSS.
              2. It's a way to focus on the latest stuff in fglrx without having to worry about legacy stuff because the legacy stuff is handled by the Gallium drivers.

Many complain that even fglrx drivers are doing a bad job. I have no experience in the matter, never owned an AMD card, but from the experience of a buddy of mine I have to say that statement holds true.

Comment

Originally posted by BSDude View Post
                The way I see it, AMD is just throwing bones from time to time to the open-source devs to support the older hardware. They're not rushing anywhere submitting documentation for the newer stuff.
                ???

?AMD Southern Islands 3D Register Reference
                ?AMD Sea Islands 3D Register Reference
                ?AMD Southern Islands/Sea Islands Acceleration

?AMD Southern Islands Series ISA
                ?AMD Sea Islands Series ISA
                Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                  ???

?AMD Southern Islands 3D Register Reference
                  ?AMD Sea Islands 3D Register Reference
                  ?AMD Southern Islands/Sea Islands Acceleration

?AMD Southern Islands Series ISA
                  ?AMD Sea Islands Series ISA
                  Ok, you've got a point. I'll take my words back. What I don't understand is, if they submitted all of the documentation for the chipset, why are they still keeping fglrx around? Why not commit the resources for fgrlx into Mesa/Gallium3d and have one solid driver?! Is KMS the problem why they keep it separate?!

Comment

Originally posted by Pallidus View Post
                    lololol a wild amd troll appears...

really?? which ones? I have here lots of old laptops with shit like rs200 r3 sum shit and they don't even load the driver... hey it's ok coz when they did the performance was even worse than vesa or fb ololol
                    saying "lolol", pointing fingers, asking obnoxious questions, and playing devil's advocate makes you more of a troll. You pointed out a device that, as far as I'm aware, hasn't been actively supported by ANYONE for years due to how old it is. The R100 series and older is beyond legacy. To be fair, I guess I should have been a little more explicit (on the other hand, mr_marmalade somehow missed the fact that I said "older than the HD series", so it wouldn't surprise me if you'd miss such a detail too.) The R300 series to RS740 seem to be the sweet spot for the radeon drivers. While I'm not sure if the performance is fully there, many of those GPUs actually have more features than the catalyst driver offered at their time. Anything older than R200 is just simply not worth mentioning (just like anything older than the nvidia geforce 6 series).

Comment

BTW, for anyone who decides to continue arguing with me:

If the R100 (or R200 series for that matter) really aren't actively supported anymore (if, at all), that means my definition of legacy was correct. Therefore, pallidus, you just brought up a GPU that isn't even considered legacy.

Comment

Working...
                      X