• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ramiliez View Post
    You are implying that AMD actually fixes Catalyst bugs which is ridiculous
    They do, just really, really, slow.

Comment

Originally posted by ninez View Post
      It's just the EGL support that is 32bit for now, not the whole driver. Plus, the EGL support doesn't sound overly useful since you can't run Wayland on it yet.

I'll be trying out the (64bit) driver (on linux-rt) later. Hopefully, it doesn't have any regressions, 325.15 has been pretty good since it's release (well, after i figured out how to patch it for -rt kernels, since the 3.0-rt patch was deprecated / partially integrated).
      are u sure that is not the whole driver? i went to geforce.com looking for it and they only let me download the 32bits one.

EDIT: and correct me if im wrong but egl works alot better even in xorg dosent it?
      Last edited by MrTheSoulz; 04 October 2013, 11:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
        It is *NOT* the job of the users to begg at hardly visited amd developer forums to fix the endless list of bugs.
        What you actually talking about?
        You doesn't like support channel? There is also technical support by e-mail, bugtracker (with AMD employees answers) and even twitter.
        You implying people doesn't have to report issues? No, people have to report issues if they want to get it fixed. Mesa issues, nVidia blob issues and even fglrx issues too.
        You said "job of the users to beg". But people beg for fixes on nVidia forums too. I wonder, why would they do such a thing?

Originally posted by Tgui View Post
        He doesn't need to provide bug reports. Its well established that the Catalyst drivers are quite buggy.
        There is thread about it.
        Originally posted by Ramiliez View Post
        You are implying that AMD actually fixes Catalyst bugs which is ridiculous
        List of fixed issues is public now, you know

Comment

K, so the AMD drivers sort of work for most things without excessive issues. That's a long way from working as expected without noticeable bugs. Their public list of fixed bugs is paltry in comparison to what you should expect, and many of them look like they never should have been bugs to begin with.

AMD's drivers work, but Intel and NVIDIA's work better at the moment. Period. I've used many of their cards in the past, and you can get by, but if you want to use advanced GPU features and expect decent performance, you can run into a lot of trouble- especially on newer cards.

So the AMD drivers function, yes. But let's not blow their quality out of proportion just because they work.

Comment

Originally posted by MrTheSoulz View Post
            are u sure that is not the whole driver? i went to geforce.com looking for it and they only let me download the 32bits one.
            I'm going by the article. Michael never stated that the driver is 32bit, only that the EGL stuff only works on 32bit for now. However, i am not seeing this driver on any of nvidia's FTP servers, not for x86 or x86_64 - so i can't check that, but i can't imagine nvidia pushing an x86 only driver, when 64bit is more common these days...and like i said; the article only mentions EGL part only for 32bit, now.

Originally posted by MrTheSoulz View Post
            EDIT: and correct me if im wrong but egl works alot better even in xorg dosent it?
            lol. You are comparing apples to oranges, my friend. Comparing EGL to GLX makes sense, or comparing Wayland to Xorg makes sense, but you're not really doing that...you are comparing dissimilar things... You might want to read some basics, start with wikipedia on EGL; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EGL_%28API%29 ...look at the "See Also" section, "equivalent to" parts... EGL or GLX are backends that a display server like X.org, Wayland, etc make use of...

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
              Thanks for the heads up! Very cool

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
                Thanks for the heads up! Very cool

Comment

Driver also supports OpenGL 4.4. Nvidia is way ahead when it comes to rock solid OpenGL support.

Comment

From Aaron Plattner:

If you're interested in EGL and are wondering why there's no 64-bit libEGL, please see http://www.khronos.org/message_board...-lists?p=29720
                    That's a bit of a whoops.

Has anybody tried to use this feature for anything interesting?

Added the NVIDIA OpenGL-based Inband Frame Readback (NvIFROpenGL) library to the Linux driver package. This library provides a high performance, low latency interface to capture and optionally encode an individual OpenGL framebuffer. NvIFROpenGL captures pixels rendered by OpenGL only and is ideally suited to application capture and remoting.

Comment

Originally posted by ninez View Post
                      I'm going by the article. Michael never stated that the driver is 32bit, only that the EGL stuff only works on 32bit for now. However, i am not seeing this driver on any of nvidia's FTP servers, not for x86 or x86_64 - so i can't check that, but i can't imagine nvidia pushing an x86 only driver, when 64bit is more common these days...and like i said; the article only mentions EGL part only for 32bit, now.

lol. You are comparing apples to oranges, my friend. Comparing EGL to GLX makes sense, or comparing Wayland to Xorg makes sense, but you're not really doing that...you are comparing dissimilar things... You might want to read some basics, start with wikipedia on EGL; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EGL_%28API%29 ...look at the "See Also" section, "equivalent to" parts... EGL or GLX are backends that a display server like X.org, Wayland, etc make use of...
                      "You are comparing apples to oranges, my friend. Comparing EGL to GLX makes sense"
                      i did just that lol...
                      i asked if egl works better then glx even on xorg

Comment

Working...
                      X