NVIDIA Releases Major Linux Driver With New Features, EGL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
    I regret. I regret. I relly do regret building my system with AMD ATI.
    While I personally like AMD products just fine and use them at home, I would have to say that getting one of their GPUs specifically for linux has never been a good idea, unless all you care about is 2D performance. The open source drivers aren't too far behind but so far both open and closed source drivers are sub-par and always have been for linux. In another year or two, I'm sure going for AMD will be a perfectly fine choice for linux users.

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
      To bad it sucks ass in terms of performance and is glitchy as hell.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
        To bad it sucks ass in terms of performance and is glitchy as hell.
        Where is your bugreports?

Comment

What we all forgot is Nvidia is a little pissed off about more than one display server!!

Comment

I have wayland in mind ...

@RussianNeuroMancer: Catalyst is a closed source product made for a hardware product of the same company. It is *NOT* the job of the users to begg at hardly visited amd developer forums to fix the endless list of bugs.
            Last edited by Kemosabe; 04 October 2013, 10:01 AM.

Comment

He doesn't need to provide bug reports. Its well established that the Catalyst drivers are quite buggy.

Comment

You are implying that AMD actually fixes Catalyst bugs which is ridiculous

Comment

Anyone tryed the driver yet? if so how does it compare to the old one?
                  its a shame that only 32bits is supported for now since moust of linux uses 64bits :/

Comment

Originally posted by Ramiliez View Post
                    You are implying that AMD actually fixes Catalyst bugs which is ridiculous
                    i dont think AMD will keep theyr driver around, they will make the opensource one the official driver for linux.

Comment

Originally posted by MrTheSoulz View Post
                      Anyone tryed the driver yet? if so how does it compare to the old one?
                      its a shame that only 32bits is supported for now since moust of linux uses 64bits :/
                      It's just the EGL support that is 32bit for now, not the whole driver. Plus, the EGL support doesn't sound overly useful since you can't run Wayland on it yet.

I'll be trying out the (64bit) driver (on linux-rt) later. Hopefully, it doesn't have any regressions, 325.15 has been pretty good since it's release (well, after i figured out how to patch it for -rt kernels, since the 3.0-rt patch was deprecated / partially integrated).

Comment

Working...
                      X