Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kokoko3k View Post
    It is not clear to me.
    did the nouveau driver reclocked the 9800gtx to the max before running benchmark or not?
    Good question, the 9800 performance was not so far behind. AFAIK this is just a reclocking issue like the ATI drivers where it gets fixed and performance suddenly jumps.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisb View Post
      Good question, the 9800 performance was not so far behind. AFAIK this is just a reclocking issue like the ATI drivers where it gets fixed and performance suddenly jumps.
      I doubt it's 'just a reclocking issue' considering a lot of benchmarks flat out failed to perform on the opensource driver.

Comment

As someone who is more interested in stability than performance, my next hardware is not going to be nVidia.
        I prefer the open source drivers - and Intel/AMD are making a killing with this regard.

In fact, there is no need to compromise. With Intel and AMD I get good performance as well while using the open source drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by peppercats View Post
          I doubt it's 'just a reclocking issue' considering a lot of benchmarks flat out failed to perform on the opensource driver.
          Yes but aren't those just regressions that will get fixed before release? Whereas the reclocking issue is one of missing functionality.

Comment

Originally posted by amehaye View Post
            As someone who is more interested in stability than performance, my next hardware is not going to be nVidia.
            I prefer the open source drivers - and Intel/AMD are making a killing with this regard.

In fact, there is no need to compromise. With Intel and AMD I get good performance as well while using the open source drivers.
            AMD still isn't good if you need performance on Linux. Nowadays, I'd go for Intel Haswell with integrated GPU

Comment

Originally posted by plantroon View Post
              AMD still isn't good if you need performance on Linux. Nowadays, I'd go for Intel Haswell with integrated GPU
              Then he has to wait for iris pro.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
                I simply don't understand why AMD can't deliver closed drivers that are almost as good as the Windows ones. What's so hard? What does NVIDIA do differently?
                I have an amd card and have been wondering the same.
                But he latest opengl 4.3 beta driver gave me hudge performance boost in Serious Sam 3.
                ( and solved all graphical issues )

Before this drivers I had to lower the resolution, in this game.

I did not run any benchmarks, so I cant tell how close they come to directX on windows, but because the difference is so big, I do not need a benchmark to tell its a big step forward.

No performance boost on Left For Dead 2 though.

So at the moment I think nvidia still to be the better choice, but at least amd seems to catch up.

Comment

NVIDIA has the best Linux drivers, but AMD has the best gfx cards in terms of price and OpenCL performance. AMD has good drivers on Windows though.

Comment

Originally posted by wargames View Post
                    NVIDIA has the best Linux drivers, but AMD has the best gfx cards in terms of price and OpenCL performance. AMD has good drivers on Windows though.
                    I'm member of a pc gaming hardware forum and people aren't actually to exited about AMD Windows drivers either.

I did not run any benchmarks, so I cant tell how close they come to directX on windows, but because the difference is so big, I do not need a benchmark to tell its a big step forward.
                    OpenGL on Windows for SS3 will be slower than Direct3D on Windows. It just has something to do with the Engine. OpenGL performance in SS3 is the same for me with Windows and Linux and NVIDIA.
                    Last edited by blackout23; 30 July 2013, 07:16 AM.

Comment

I remember Phoronix benchmarked FreeBSD 8.2 versus Linux two years ago where the former came out on top. I wonder how it fairs in the mix today?

Comment

Working...
                      X