Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Driver Soon Likely To Support EGL, Mir

Phoronix: NVIDIA Driver Soon Likely To Support EGL, Mir

With NVIDIA entering the GPU IP licensing business, the need to support EGL by their binary display driver -- and with that the Ubuntu Mir display server and Wayland -- has become more pressing...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nothing to see here

No news here, pure speculation. Way to go...
    You could also begin to speculate that since nvidia will have more "customers", some of them will want an open driver, and thus nvidia will start supporting the nouveau driver.
    See, I can do it too!

Comment

Yea, Michael, you clearly forgot to add a question mark into the headline The Kayla is running something Ubuntu based, so it's on X. That doesn't mandate the use of EGL for quite a while to the future, not until Ubuntu makes Mir at least default.

Comment

Originally posted by Serafean View Post
        You could also begin to speculate that since nvidia will have more "customers", some of them will want an open driver, and thus nvidia will start supporting the nouveau driver.
        See, I can do it too!
        That was what I thought off at first. Then I remembered ARM doesn't support the Lima driver.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
          Yea, Michael, you clearly forgot to add a question mark into the headline The Kayla is running something Ubuntu based, so it's on X. That doesn't mandate the use of EGL for quite a while to the future, not until Ubuntu makes Mir at least default.
          Just throwing this out there but I suspect this Kayla thing's video output is coming from the Tegra. This leaves the Geforce card free to do the CUDA stuff. But I could be completely wrong here, I'm just guessing.

Comment

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
            As long as Mir works on nvidia everything is good.
            It will. So will Wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by c117152 View Post
              That was what I thought off at first. Then I remembered ARM doesn't support the Lima driver.
              or the Freedreno driver either...yet

Comment

So what about KMS? I tought that is mandatory for Mir/Wayland to work, too.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
                  So what about KMS? I tought that is mandatory for Mir/Wayland to work, too.
                  You need some sort of modesetting interface. The open drivers all support KMS so that's what wayland/mir are currently using, but in theory you could use other APIs. That said, you'd need to add support for other APIs to whatever display server you are using.

Comment

Originally posted by Serafean View Post
                    Except, there are some merits here. One, the bits about Android/SurfaceFlinger/EGL are true. Two, NVIDIA has ported their full _desktop_driver_ to ARM. You can buy an ARM mITX board and theoretically slap in a beefy Kepler GPU and that will work. That's quite the progress to be making. Three, one could eventually see the Tegra EGL driver eventually merging with the unified driver, now that the architecture bridge is crossed. The line of reasoning here isn't broken.

Comment

Working...
                    X