NVIDIA Has Major New Linux Driver: Optimus, RandR 1.4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nvidia & Resolution Switching

I've got a long running issue with the Nvidia drivers in Linux that I was hoping somebody here could help me resolve. The situation doesn't appear to have changed with the release of 319.12 despite promises of initial xrandr 1.4 support (the lack of which I believe is the root of the issue). I've got a System76 BonX6 laptop with an Nvidia GTX 670M chipset. My LCD has a native resolution of 1920x1080. However I prefer to run with 1600x900 if possible (or any lower resolution - which one doesn't really matter here). In any event when I switch the resolution using either nvidia-settings or xrandr on the command line - my desktop environment never seems to resize to match it. So even though my new resolution is something smaller, the DE panels and what not are now oversized as if I was still running with 1920x1080 and hence cut off from view in the lower resolution. It's as if the DE never receives the notification that the resolution has changed.

I have experienced this in both Gnome 3 and Cinnamon among other DEs. Is there a work around for this? I'm running Arch Linux so I'm running all of the absolute most cutting edge versions of everything for the most part. Any pointers or feedback would be most appreciated.

Comment

Most people who fawn over Linus giving the finger didn't even watch the video.

Comment

anyone got profiles working?

Comment

Originally posted by jaylittle View Post
          I've got a long running issue with the Nvidia drivers in Linux that I was hoping somebody here could help me resolve. The situation doesn't appear to have changed with the release of 319.12 despite promises of initial xrandr 1.4 support (the lack of which I believe is the root of the issue). I've got a System76 BonX6 laptop with an Nvidia GTX 670M chipset. My LCD has a native resolution of 1920x1080. However I prefer to run with 1600x900 if possible (or any lower resolution - which one doesn't really matter here). In any event when I switch the resolution using either nvidia-settings or xrandr on the command line - my desktop environment never seems to resize to match it. So even though my new resolution is something smaller, the DE panels and what not are now oversized as if I was still running with 1920x1080 and hence cut off from view in the lower resolution. It's as if the DE never receives the notification that the resolution has changed.

I have experienced this in both Gnome 3 and Cinnamon among other DEs. Is there a work around for this? I'm running Arch Linux so I'm running all of the absolute most cutting edge versions of everything for the most part. Any pointers or feedback would be most appreciated.
          In KDE this is a known bug the KDE bug tracker has an entry for this. You could avoid using fullscreen programms in lower resolutions or switch to window mode instead. If you use wine you could use virtual desktop.

Comment

It seems Ubuntu 12.04.3 LTS has added support for Optimus via nvidia-prime package and patched 3.8 kernel. I installed it on my i7 laptop with nvidia 630M. Incidentally it installs the nvidia driver by default so when you boot, you are already using nvidia 319 series driver.

I don't know if optimus is working or not as I don't play any games but laptop battery life has gone up and temps have fallen. I still need to test HDMI out. This wiki also indicates hybrid support for ATI and I have enabled that on my small ATI AMD C50 chipset netbook as well.

Comment

Anyone done any power and heat testing for nvidia 319 with optimus and optimus prime versus nvidia driver+bumblebee?

Comment

Working...
              X