NVIDIA SLI: Linux vs. Windows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Thetargos View Post
    Th next update for the Fedora kernel (2.6.22.7-85.fc7) uses a tickless kernel for i686. I'm not sure how does that help the overall responsiveness of the system,. though. Will have to test drive one, I guess
    Hmm...You sure?
    Code:
    $ uname -a
    Linux sams.computer 2.6.22.7-85.fc7 #1 SMP Fri Sep 21 19:53:05 EDT 2007 i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux
    $ grep HZ /boot/config-2.6.22.7-85.fc7 
    CONFIG_NO_HZ=y
    # CONFIG_HZ_100 is not set
    # CONFIG_HZ_250 is not set
    # CONFIG_HZ_300 is not set
    CONFIG_HZ_1000=y
    CONFIG_HZ=1000
    CONFIG_MACHZ_WDT=m

Comment

I'm sure I saw the option just yesterday afternoon when I was creating a custom config (using menuconfig) using the stock configuration as a template (for precisely 2.6.22.7-85.fc7) I'm not sure, then if 2.6.22.9-91.fc7 does so.

Aaahhh... Now this is strange. The CONFIG_NO_HZ option supposedly turns the kernel into tickless (it is not present in the x86_64 kernel, there are still issues with tickless and x86_64), I don't know why is the CONFIG_HZ_1000 still set as 'y', though.
      Last edited by Thetargos; 29 September 2007, 05:19 AM.

Comment

I haven't read the article, but this sounds a bit like rubbing salt on the wounds. hehehe.

Comment

Only ONE Game?

Am I the only one to notice that they only used 1 game to compare Linux Vs Windows? Is this because someone got too lazy to test others (like the Doom3 they did the initial Linux SLI review with) or because the numbers did not promote Windows? I have just finished setting up my Linux SLI system - and will do some personal testing, and may even post some results... but this seems like very poor reporting to me.

If you are going to test and compare, Do it right. I have seen major performance differences like those just from going from XP to XP SP2! OR even from one driver to the next!

I am sorry that my first post on this forum is not a positive one, but no one else mentioned the obvious... ONE game is not PROVING anything.

Comment

Holy thread resurrection grave digging

Comment

sorry

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
              Holy thread resurrection grave digging
              Sorry bout that; was looking for info on the whole SLI in Linux bit... came across this article... despised it, and replied... didn't think to check the date on it.

Comment

So what about your tests?

Has SLI performance increased on Linux?

I am planning on going for SLI

Comment

Working...
                X