NVIDIA 313.18 Driver Update Packs A Ton Of Changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jarrod558 View Post
    Problem with working out of the box is that the radeon drivers have ass performance.
    Someone already said that (almost word for word)and by bringing it up again, all you are going to do is get awesomeness ranting about how awesome radeon is and how much nvidia sucks... ie: either you are intentionally aiming to create some 'flamebait' or are doing so out of ignorance or innocence.

Personally, i think it may be better to avoid that subject all together, and instead focus on the latest nvidia driver

Comment

Thanks

Originally posted by ninez View Post
      lol.

In my case, i have been steadily updating on every (beta) release. In my opinion the 313.xx series is probably better, but at the same time, i haven't noticed huge performance gains either (aside from compiz - which did have a performance gain because the changes in compiz to use some newer nvidia changes). by the same token, i have not seen any regressions either.

I'd say give it a try!
      Sounds good, I will try it tomorrow. Tonight I'm playing some Rochard that I purchased from an earlier Humble Indie Bundle and forgot about until a few days ago.

Comment

[QUOTE=ninez;306682]

On my Archlinux system(s) the config you are looking for is here:

/etc/modprobe.d/nvidia.conf

..and you would enable that feature by adding this, to your configuration file;

Code:
        options nvidia NVreg_EnablePCIeGen3=1
        Thanks mate, I added that option to /etc/modprobe.d/nvidia.conf and it worked.
        Last edited by rusty; 17 January 2013, 12:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by rusty View Post
          Thanks mate, I added that option to /etc/modprobe.d/nvidia.conf and it worked.
          Great to hear

hopefully, it'll work nicely for you. (new feature, right?)

anyway, you might want to browse the readme that comes with every nvidia driver for linux - it tends to cover all of this stuff, and you may stumble onto something else useful.

Comment

Great to hear

hopefully, it'll work nicely for you. (new feature, right?)

anyway, you might want to browse the readme that comes with every nvidia driver for linux - it tends to cover all of this stuff, and you may stumble onto something else useful.
            yes it is a new feature I was waiting for it. I wonder how that "- Through NVIDIA-Settings and the NV-CONTROL extension the Double Precision performance boost mode can now be configured on supported hardware." is enabled cause I don't see it.

Comment

Originally posted by rusty View Post
              yes it is a new feature I was waiting for it. I wonder how that "- Through NVIDIA-Settings and the NV-CONTROL extension the Double Precision performance boost mode can now be configured on supported hardware." is enabled cause I don't see it.
              RTM.

..or hit their website and look for the documentation ~ it's gotta be there. I am not using that feature, so i haven't looked.

Comment

Nvidia blob not working well for you with linux-rt?
                I haven't had time to test it thoroughly, but my tests on 304.43 had great performance problems when Vsync was activated. Once Vsync is activated, performance drops below 1 fps.

Although, I did do some interesting findings. I only tested the real-time kernel on one of my rigs, but my interesting finding was the older rig(Phenom II 940, GT 640) running at ~58 fps was perceived way more fluid than the newer rig (3930K, GTX 680 4GB) at ~200 fps. I even tested the older rig with "normal" and rt kernel, and even though the average performance was roughly equal, the normal kernel was "unplayable" compared to the rt kernel. This tells me rt kernels have the potential for a whole new level of gaming.

So to clearify, rt kernel work great except for Vsync. Since I'm working a lot with balancing the workload for achieving the best experience, I would prefer to be able to run with Vsync without the computer becoming unresponsive. In a related note, I also really need to be able to disable Kepler boost, since it's hard to balance the graphics load when the performance of the GPU is slowly declining.

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
                NVidia is not the flawless Linux supporter as you people claim NVidia was. There are many problems under Linux and with a FOSS driver at least people can use their GPUs almost forever and not be subject to some exec who decides that old GPUs are no longer supported.
                I've never claimed Nvidia provides flawless Linux support. But their overall support is superior, even though they have some minor annoying issues.

Comment

Now only if the Ubuntu drivers update tool would offer anything newer than nvidia-experimental (310 series).
                  Last edited by varikonniemi; 17 January 2013, 05:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
                    I also can't adjust the screen brightness with my NVidia GPU (a well known bug with certain BIOSes but no fix because NVidia simply doesn't care!) ?
                    cat N > /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/brightness

N is a value between 0 and 10 (higher is brighter, default is 10).

(put in /etc/rc.local before the "exit" line to make this automatically happen when booting)

Also, yes, it is possible to play under Linux, that's what I do. I have no console, but I have an i7-2600K and a 570GTX. umad? :-D

Comment

Awesomeness, go start your own thread about how crappy nvidia is and why you think everyone should use Radeon, INSTEAD of polluting this *Nvidia thread* with nonsense that in reality no Nvidia (binary) user gives a crap about... Seriously.
                      Learn to read. I was replying to people claiming that Linux was a good gaming platform. And no, it's not because it simply has few games. In non-gaming use cases other features are more important.

Why should I start a new thread to answer someone? Makes no sense at all!

Comment

Working...
                      X