Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Officially Announces The Tegra 4 SoC

Phoronix: NVIDIA Officially Announces The Tegra 4 SoC

With the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) taking place this week in Las Vegas, NVIDIA has officially rolled out their next-generation Tegra 4 ARM platform...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This year should be huge for ARM performance and gaming with A15s taking the scene and Arm v8 adoption coming next year. The Nexus 7 2 or however you want to call the second generation Nexus with this thing in it will be awesome.

Comment

Does anyone have any info on the GPU in Tegra 4? I've read somewhere that is still not unified shader, so not kepler as previously indicated. Should we expect any form of open sorce driver released for this chip in the near future?

Comment

Originally posted by Figueiredo View Post
        Does anyone have any info on the GPU in Tegra 4? I've read somewhere that is still not unified shader, so not kepler as previously indicated. Should we expect any form of open sorce driver released for this chip in the near future?
        I'm sure Anandtech is hammering out an article on it as we speak.

Comment

I think Nvidia is already making open source drivers for Tegra 2 and Tegra 3, and we should probably see it for Tegra 4...especially since it doesn't look like they changed the architecture, and it's not unified, which I find pretty terrible, but I think they skipped it so they do it next year based directly on Maxwell, rather than Kepler.

They've also been very quite about support for OpenGL ES 3.0 and OpenCL - which again is ughh. But at least it should be 6x faster than Tegra 3 GPU-wise - so that's something, too.

Comment

10 years from now you still will not be able to use this SoC with an open source stack. Nivida spits on Linux and Free Software.

Hey Nvidia, Fuck You!

Comment

probably 2d userspace from nv, as with tegra2/3.. and I'd expect eventually a r/e'd 3d

Comment

Power efficiency?

These quad A15 SOC chips are fine and dandy, but what about their power usage? If Anand is correct, Tegra3 draws more power than x86 Atom. And Exynos draws even more, 8W peak usage... I'm no fan of Intel, but things aren't looking that good in that account.

We don't need Arm to be just faster, it must be power efficient as well...

--Coder

Comment

Working...
                X