Where for art thou Nvidia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael View Post
    If you ask me, NVIDIA's Nalu is still better than ATI's Ruby. Though at least Ruby is an open-source girl
    Speaking of which, it would be nice if either or both companies released one (or all ) of their technical demos for Linux too

Comment

Originally posted by Thetargos View Post
      Speaking of which, it would be nice if either or both companies released one (or all ) of their technical demos for Linux too
      OMG, one hour ago I exactly thought about the same thing Many of these techdemos are written in OpenGL, even the newer ones, so it would be possible.

Comment

I know at least nVidia uses OpenGL on many of their tech demos (I'm not so sure about AMD-ATI). Most prominently I remember the demos for NV15-20 (the marching toys demo and the Werewolf demo, dunno if the Squid demo was in OpenGL) were in OpenGL. I believe the Nalu and Dawn/Dusk demos were Direct3D, though, showcasing Shader Model 3.0 and 2.0 technology (respectively), but then again, I could be wrong.

Edit

I don't know if the Humus Demos available for Linux could be considered official ATI tech demos for Linux, since he has been working for ATI (or at least I believe so) for some now... Hopefully AMD still employs him.

Edit 2

Seems he left AMD on 03-Sept... To develop games... How interesting.
        Last edited by Thetargos; 11 September 2007, 03:21 PM.

Comment

Hahaha!! Just tried to run the Glow demo from Humus on my nVidia setup and got this:

Code:
           ./Glow-32 
          [Missing extensions]
          The following required OpenGL extensions are supported:

GL_ARB_vertex_program
          GL_ARB_fragment_program

Too bad, these required OpenGL extensions aren't supported by the graphic card and driver you're using:

GLX_ATI_render_texture

This application will now exit.
          Gave a good laugh! Seems that after all, you can still do some "localized" demos in OpenGL for Linux for a particular hardware platform! Nice!

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post

vs.

If you ask me, I prefer the first
            If I had to pick between those two, I would have to say the first also.

But I gotta say Luna is my pick, the demo Nvidia has got of her to showcase HDR is sweet

Comment

Working...
            X