Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Testing NVIDIA's Linux Threaded OpenGL Optimizations

Phoronix: Testing NVIDIA's Linux Threaded OpenGL Optimizations

With the NVIDIA 310.14 Beta driver introduced at the beginning of this week there are some OpenGL performance improvements in general plus an experimental threaded OpenGL implementation that can be easily enabled. In this article are benchmarks from the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 with this new Linux driver release.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Interesting benchmarks, with my gt630 (kepler) i did only dhewm3 tests and the difference was minimal. Maybe you really need a very fast card to see em.

Comment

I wonder how threaded optimization will behave in WINE....

These tests should start to include some benchmarking using it....

Maybe using some simple games easy to install and play ...

There is also a set of Windows libraries and registry settings that is common to majority of games...

Comment

Threaded optimization is tailored for Wow

The threading optimization is simply nvidia implimenting a hack that has been floating around for World of Warcraft in wine. You find the history of it here:

From that thread it is clear that this issue is special for WoW, but may also be of interest to Guild Wars 2. I can confirm that the patch does wonders for WoW on linux with wine, just as intended.

Thanks for the thourough testing, it confirms that this really is a special issue for WoW, while earlier indications were more anecdotal in nature.

Comment

Can you confirm that WoW without that patch but with this on delivers the same performance?

Comment

Impressive decrease of performance "in applications that heavily rely on synchronous OpenGL calls such as glGet*". At least for vdrift I can tell that it is using glGet calls in the GL2-1 backends. But it is interesting to see how much difference it makes.

This is the thing I don't like about OpenGL api. It makes it very easy to write very inefficient code.

Comment

Originally posted by Vadi View Post
              Can you confirm that WoW without that patch but with this on delivers the same performance?
              Well, I never got ae's patch to work, so I can only refer to others benching of that. That said, I can confirm that the WoW without ae's patch, but with nvidias threading provides vastly better performance (when you need it, think during raid and battleground) than without threading optimization. The effect is supposedly twice what you get for ae's patch, but the big bone is that it actually works for everybody and it is stable. You definitely do not want to use ae's patch together with nivida's optimization, they both try to achieve the same.

Comment

Originally posted by asdx
                ROFL, threaded optimizations fail, can't say I'm suprised. Fuck you nvidia.
                There you go again...

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                  Interesting benchmarks, with my gt630 (kepler) i did only dhewm3 tests and the difference was minimal. Maybe you really need a very fast card to see em.
                  OEM gt630? Retail versions are renamed fermis.

Comment

Originally posted by Del_ View Post
                    The threading optimization is simply nvidia implimenting a hack that has been floating around for World of Warcraft in wine. You find the history of it here:

From that thread it is clear that this issue is special for WoW, but may also be of interest to Guild Wars 2. I can confirm that the patch does wonders for WoW on linux with wine, just as intended.

Thanks for the thourough testing, it confirms that this really is a special issue for WoW, while earlier indications were more anecdotal in nature.
                    What version of the game are you running? Are you running current or 2.4.3/3.3.5a/4.0.6a

Comment

Working...
                    X