X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• uaaquarius
    replied
    Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
    That's funny. I pay them for hardware+drivers too... I also pay them for specifications, and the condition I place on the drivers is that they are OPEN SOURCE, because I cant take the crap from worthless blobs that never work.
    I'm not sure if GPU manufacturers are aware of those

Regarding the proprietary blob. I had no single issue with my geforce 8600m gs from the day I bought a laptop with it. I used at least 5 different distros (not counting their versions) since that time.

Leave a comment:

• droidhacker
    replied
    Originally posted by uaaquarius View Post
    As many people correctly pointed out earlier there is virtually no problem for nVidia owners.
    1. Those are GPUs which have ~8 years. Probably there are no many of them still working around there.
    2. Kerner and x.org compartibility will be still provided.

Now let's look at this at my personal angle.
    I have 2 old GPUs: radeon x1250 and geforce 8600m gs (both mobile).
    radeon x1250 was released in 2007. The latest propriatary legacy driver was released for it in Febrary 2010.
    geforce 8600m gs was released also in 2007. The latest proprietary driver for it is still the mainline driver.

It's obvious how each driver supports the latest Linux dictros.

And I don't care much about open source drivers (because their performance is bad). I pay money for the GPU to it's vendors and I expect them to provide me with drivers for their hardware.
    That's funny. I pay them for hardware+drivers too... I also pay them for specifications, and the condition I place on the drivers is that they are OPEN SOURCE, because I cant take the crap from worthless blobs that never work.

Leave a comment:

• droidhacker
    replied
    Well, the only two nvidia parts I have around are a laptop with a 6100 and a desktop 7800 PCI-e card. Both of these are dropped, but really no longer in service. The desktop card was much more trivial to replace than the laptop, so it went out of service first, in favor of an AMD GPU. The 6100 laptop went out of service about a month ago when I bought a new laptop with... an AMD GPU, but LONG before that, I gave up entirely on the blob driver. Nouveau is a piece of shit, but better than the blob by several orders of magnitude.

Leave a comment:

• uaaquarius
    replied
    No problem with this

As many people correctly pointed out earlier there is virtually no problem for nVidia owners.
    1. Those are GPUs which have ~8 years. Probably there are no many of them still working around there.
    2. Kerner and x.org compartibility will be still provided.

Now let's look at this at my personal angle.
    I have 2 old GPUs: radeon x1250 and geforce 8600m gs (both mobile).
    radeon x1250 was released in 2007. The latest propriatary legacy driver was released for it in Febrary 2010.
    geforce 8600m gs was released also in 2007. The latest proprietary driver for it is still the mainline driver.

It's obvious how each driver supports the latest Linux dictros.

And I don't care much about open source drivers (because their performance is bad). I pay money for the GPU to it's vendors and I expect them to provide me with drivers for their hardware.

Leave a comment:

• whitecat
    replied
    Originally posted by Naib View Post
    how? and where? my nv9600 still works just fine, I just wanted a performance boost, they are welcome to my card
    http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/HardwareDonations
    Don't know if Radeon devs need some hardware?

Leave a comment:

• Gusar
    replied
    I don't think this is about AGP, but about these old cards simply not being capable of things. I recall seeing in the changelogs of the 300 series, a few items mentioned as being only for G80 and up.

And at least for old desktops, Zotac makes PCI cards with modern Nvidia GPUs. They're low-end (the current is GT610 PCI), but hey VDPAU . Laptops are another thing, though mine has an MXM module, so the 6600 is an actual *card* that you can take out and replace.

Leave a comment:

• blackiwid
    replied
    hmm I dont think that the legacy driver is a good argument that nvidia "supports" a hardware.

http://technewspedia.com/amd-will-co...gpus-on-linux/

so if you call that support you cant say that amd dont support this old grafics drivers, too, they make something similar with this gpus.

But for most peoply legacy support sucks. So the only real alternative (in my opinion the better alternative than the blob) is free driver support, and here wins amd (or intel).

The point is nvidia has no real alternativ for their main drivers, as example when the older drivers dont work with features needed for doing something useful you have no real alternative. Ok there is nouvou, but thats there not because of nvidia but despite of nvidia.

So if you look what was till now legacy it was geforce 4 series and that was the direct concurent to radeon 8000 series. So yes TODAY thats really really old, but on the day that did go legacy it wasnt that old. So at least what a little bit of googling did say, this legacy driver for nvidia that you have to use for this series does not support till today texture_for_pixmap something you need to use a modern 3d-desktop yes there was xgl but thats a really bad hack.
    With the radeon 8000 series there is support there since then ( I dont know maybe you had to wait 6 months longer then support where there for the newer grafics drivers but I dont think so) because amd supports the free drivers.

So think of it, I dont know whats the next big feature is in Xorg, as example maybe 3d support? (I dont care about that but that was what I could think of spontanious) you will then not get this feature for you new card.

And its even worse not even if your card is supported by nvidia you get all the current X features like kms as example and its far from bugfree, yes the nvidia closed drivers are not that bad, but still the free drivers are really stable nearly un-crashable, can you say that about the nvidia blob NO.

So you can be happy with your nvidia card and you are maybe glad to buy each 3-5 years a new card. But stop saying that on amds side the support for older cards is on the same level or even worse, because thats just not true.

So if people gets frustrated about nvidia let them be frustrated its not unrational to be frustrated about the nvidia driver policys. If you dont care about freedom AND only want to use your grafics card for lets say 5 years (if you buy the last of a generation (last dx9 card as example) it can also be shorter period, nvidia is maybe ok for you. If you like some people seems to do use such hardware longer or want to, they are definatly better pleased to buy intel or amd gpus.

Leave a comment:

• Kano
    replied
    GeForce 6/7 are the last cards with native agp port. Maybe they do not want to support agp anymore. As long as there is still a legacy branch it is not that hard to use em if needed but certainly newer systems with pci-e are much easier to upgrade. Just a matter of time till agp systems are replaced - you can not get newer gpus for serveral years now when you forget about some weird newer amd cards with agp ports. I could live with a new legacy driver as no changes for vdpau or so which are more often fixed affect those cards. The older fx 5 series was most likely dropped much earlier as it seems they did not support reduced blanking compared to geforce 6/7. That means you are stuck with a max res of 1680x1050 via dvi with those cards anyway. Gf 6 cards are the first which could be used for full hd displays.

Leave a comment:

• brent
    replied
    I don't understand the outrage. These GPUs are old and Nvidia will still continue to support them for some time to spare. In the past they've done a good job of supporting legacy GPUs. Unlike, you know, AMD.

Leave a comment:

• Naib
    replied
    Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
    SEND YOUR GPUs TO NOUVEAU AND RADEON PROJECTS! DO NOT SELL THEM, UNLESS YOU DRASTICALLY NEED MONEY!

As easy as that!
    how? and where? my nv9600 still works just fine, I just wanted a performance boost, they are welcome to my card

Leave a comment:

Working...
X