Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As long as Nvidia at least keep legacy linux support equal to the legacy windows drivers, I really can't complain. For 7+ year old cards all I really need is 2d support for the most part for old workstations.

These new fangled 3d accelerated desktops kind throw a wrench into the equation, but at least on linux you have alot of options. On Windows it's either being stuff down your throat or being stuck on a patchy 11 year old OS.

Comment

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
      nice that you pick the one x1000 gpu that is just a relabeling of an 2004 gpu core, so yes therefore there is no support anymore lets see what did nvidia maybe relabel and you get no support anymore...

you cannot only view the year, there is a half year between this 2 chips so the radeon chip is a half year older and was only released as a kind of time-buying thing because it seems they could not produce enough new chips from their current generation to also sell them as notebook igps...

1,5 Months BEFORE your 8600m gs came out ( juli 2007) amd released the hd 2400 gpu which is supported till today with the main non-legacy driver.

Informationen und Benchmarks der ATI / AMD Mobility Radeon HD 2400 Grafikkarte

relabeling happens more with nvidia cards so you were lucky at this point but normaly it should be the other way around but ok forget about the wild unlabeling of nvidia amd does that to. So lets say here we have a draw. If you buy a relabeled chipset you should know that its a chip from 2004.

so if you bought in the early 2007 a notebook, you would also have to buy a older nvidia tech which has also bad support now. you would have to use xgl to make current (3d) desktops working. or use nouvou. in the 2nd half of the year amd and nvidia released (I mean the oems) new notebooks with dx10 support that have better support today... so I dont see why amd sucks here more that nvidia? you cannot only conzentrate on the year... you have to look on the months...

if you had bought a notebook with a nvidia chipset in the first half of the year it had to be a geforce 7xxx go or 6xxx go. so you would not have any advantage, and shurely some 7xxx go notebooks were sold in mid 2007 also...

and there is another thing this was in the time amd bought ati, so you cannot blame amd for mistakes of ati.

So dx10 notebook gpus from nvidia and ati gets nearly same love, and they were released at the same time except amd gives better free driver support. And dx9 chips gets not much love from amd or nvidia except amd gives better opensource support.

The only maybe small advantage you have today is with very new nvidia cards where the blob is maybe? a bit better. but again for the price of having no or bad opensource support.

So for older cards amd is better in general. if you compare apples with apples and not different generations of gpus... (dx9 vs dx10 + 6 month releasetime difference)

I would agree to your statement if the dx10 mobility gpus would be come out 6 months after the ones from nvidia but they got released even earlier.

The only point why this hits many is because this x1250 gpu notebooks where cheap as hell so some who wanted not to play bought them because a nvidia alternative would have cost maybe 200 bucks more... but to blindly buy a relabeled thing is stupid. and btw, the x1250 is so slow that you cant play with it anyway so wth would you not wanna use the opensource grafics driver for that??????????

so your example is stupid in several layers.
      1) DirectX is not important for Linux users.
      2) According to this wiki HD 2400 is not in mainline any more.
      3) My cheap x1250 is actually in netbook, not notebook. And yes, I knew about it perormance when I bought it.
      4) I do use open source drivers for x1250. Otherwise I can't use any modern Linux distro. On nvidia side it is still posible to use GeForce FX (aka "GeForce 5") with modern distros, thanks to 173.14.xx legacy driver. And those GPU's are ~9 years old now (released in 2003).
      5) You can find a good benchmark results for proprietary and open source drivers for x1250 (and other GPUs from both amd and nvidia). Open source is great, but I prefer performance.

Comment

GeForce 6150 SE: farewell.

I must say this. I'm (still) the owner of an infamous Pavilion tx1000, resucitated with black magic and south bridge switching, that included the also infamous GeForce 6150 SE. And I will say: thank you, NVIDIA, for all these years of tier-1 Linux support. I enjoyed almost 5 full years of support, despite the fact that I bought a DOA chipset. And there is still the legacy support, that will bring me support for 2 or 3 major X releases.

Thank you. Now I'll must go on and buy something else, but 5 years of tier-1 support is more tan reasonable. Not like AMD, who is dropping support for chipsets manufactured less than 2 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by uaaquarius View Post
          1) DirectX is not important for Linux users.
          indirectly it is, because a dx version needs a defined hardware-feature-set, so if you have a hardware that supports higher dx version it supports also higher opengl verisons (or at least it has the potential to do so, if the drivers use this hardware right).

2) According to this wiki HD 2400 is not in mainline any more.
          ok you are right here

3) My cheap x1250 is actually in netbook, not notebook. And yes, I knew about it perormance when I bought it.
          nice for you

4) I do use open source drivers for x1250. Otherwise I can't use any modern Linux distro. On nvidia side it is still posible to use GeForce FX (aka "GeForce 5") with modern distros, thanks to 173.14.xx legacy driver. And those GPU's are ~9 years old now (released in 2003).
          and you really think that these drivers are better than the free ones who gain new features all the time and speed improvements, like I said you cant use compiz or something like that with that drivers so here wins clearly the free driver...

5) You can find a good benchmark results for proprietary and open source drivers for x1250 (and other GPUs from both amd and nvidia). Open source is great, but I prefer performance.
          what do you mean with performance desktop performance or gaming 3d performance... the only thing I could think of where you gain maybe some fps would be google earth. Other than that, the 3d speed is not slowed down because of the opensource driver. whats your goal having 80fps in compiz instead of 50? I dont get it? you know that you will not see a difference on a normal tft if you have 30 or 5000 fps? so the free driver is fast enough to give you perfekt 3d desktop experince and additionaly is rock-solid stable, what do you want more?

If its really gaming, so you play quake3 with 20-40fps in a row resolution on your netbook? integrated grafics were not designed for gaming in this times, today they are maybe a bit better... but the x1250 is a very very weak igp...

Comment

I currently have a 7900GS, so will this get dropped too?

Comment

Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
              I currently have a 7900GS, so will this get dropped too?
              It seems like the 304 series will be the last supported series for that card. Afterwards it'll transition to legacy status... so Xorg / kernel updates and security fixes only.

Comment

Originally posted by Alejandro Nova View Post
                I must say this. I'm (still) the owner of an infamous Pavilion tx1000, resucitated with black magic and south bridge switching, that included the also infamous GeForce 6150 SE. And I will say: thank you, NVIDIA, for all these years of tier-1 Linux support. I enjoyed almost 5 full years of support, despite the fact that I bought a DOA chipset. And there is still the legacy support, that will bring me support for 2 or 3 major X releases.
                I did not know my motherboards integrated chip was supposedly dead on arrival. Still, I know for a fact that nouveau does properly support the GeForce 6150 SE as of the release of Fedora 15 last year. Before that it was bit shaky though.

Comment

I still run a 7800GTX on my spare parts rig. I bought it new and it has been a wonderful card. I remember playing HL:2 Lost Coast when it was first released and being blown away. It also has outlasted two 8800gtxs that were just as good at being space heaters as GPUs.

Comment

You don't have to exchange it now that should be clear. Even when you only get minor updates it was very unlikely that the changes besides the new xrandr support affected old cards much. Many problems like vdpau issues only existed on newer hardware, so don't cry Btw. if you dont use a screw you can exchange cards very fast, i do not need 1 min to do so Luckly i got a new gt630 (kepler variant) a few days ago, before i used a spare geforce 7 often for simple driver tests - i have got 2 systems i test with various cards, usually single slot. My only dual slot 8800 gts 512 is a pain to install/remove compared to those - but well thats not the normal use case. If nvidia would drop dx10(.1) class hardware from default driver it would be much more annoying, thats what amd just did.

I hope that nouveau gets automatic reclocking support in a timeframe where the cards are still used - then you would not need binary drivers at all. For lowend cards/igp it should not really matter what driver you use now, many are happy with nouveau alone - enough for some 3d desktop effects - gamers need of course a faster driver.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                      I hope that nouveau gets automatic reclocking support in a timeframe where the cards are still used - then you would not need binary drivers at all. For lowend cards/igp it should not really matter what driver you use now, many are happy with nouveau alone - enough for some 3d desktop effects - gamers need of course a faster driver.
                      My hope is that Nouveau supports current users well enough for them to utilize their GPUs for the remainder of their product's life time. I can only hope that current Nvidia owners reconsider making subsequent purchases of Nvidia hardware, and that they give future consideration to companies that support and contribute towards progressing the linux kernel, X11 (or Wayland), and mesa.

F

Comment

Working...
                      X