• Show
Clear All

• Gusar
    replied
    Originally posted by asdx
    Nvidia: please discontinue yourself.

Fuck off and fuck you.
    asdx: Please, you fuck off!!

You don't contribute anything except posts like these. It's fucking annoying.

Leave a comment:

• crazycheese
    replied
    Originally posted by Naib View Post
    how? and where? my nv9600 still works just fine, I just wanted a performance boost, they are welcome to my card
    Go to project IRC, ask if someone needs a card, send it.

Leave a comment:

• Kano
    replied
    Yes Intel onboard can be really annoying when you compare the Win vs Linux speed/features. Like you can not play Rage via wine with HD 4000 on Linux - but even a relatively simple GT 630 (oem) is enough. The nvidia card is only a tiny bit faster.

Leave a comment:

• Gusar
    replied
    Originally posted by russofris View Post
    I can only hope that current Nvidia owners reconsider making subsequent purchases of Nvidia hardware
    I would not reconsider if they *completely* dropped 6/7 support right now, instead of just relegating it to a legacy branch. I've gotten a good run out of that laptop, the bad state it's in, it won't last long anyway. Though if I'll buy a new laptop anytime soon (not likely), it'll be pure Intel. But for desktops, I will definitely look at Nvidia should the integrated Intel GPU turn out to not be enough. It's what already happened with me - I started with just the iGPU, but there were a few things I wanted to play that the iGPU couldn't handle, so I also have a Geforce GTS450.

Leave a comment:

• russofris
    replied
    Originally posted by Kano View Post
    I hope that nouveau gets automatic reclocking support in a timeframe where the cards are still used - then you would not need binary drivers at all. For lowend cards/igp it should not really matter what driver you use now, many are happy with nouveau alone - enough for some 3d desktop effects - gamers need of course a faster driver.
    My hope is that Nouveau supports current users well enough for them to utilize their GPUs for the remainder of their product's life time. I can only hope that current Nvidia owners reconsider making subsequent purchases of Nvidia hardware, and that they give future consideration to companies that support and contribute towards progressing the linux kernel, X11 (or Wayland), and mesa.

F

Leave a comment:

• Kano
    replied
    You don't have to exchange it now that should be clear. Even when you only get minor updates it was very unlikely that the changes besides the new xrandr support affected old cards much. Many problems like vdpau issues only existed on newer hardware, so don't cry Btw. if you dont use a screw you can exchange cards very fast, i do not need 1 min to do so Luckly i got a new gt630 (kepler variant) a few days ago, before i used a spare geforce 7 often for simple driver tests - i have got 2 systems i test with various cards, usually single slot. My only dual slot 8800 gts 512 is a pain to install/remove compared to those - but well thats not the normal use case. If nvidia would drop dx10(.1) class hardware from default driver it would be much more annoying, thats what amd just did.

I hope that nouveau gets automatic reclocking support in a timeframe where the cards are still used - then you would not need binary drivers at all. For lowend cards/igp it should not really matter what driver you use now, many are happy with nouveau alone - enough for some 3d desktop effects - gamers need of course a faster driver.

Leave a comment:

• jmcharron
    replied
    I still run a 7800GTX on my spare parts rig. I bought it new and it has been a wonderful card. I remember playing HL:2 Lost Coast when it was first released and being blown away. It also has outlasted two 8800gtxs that were just as good at being space heaters as GPUs.

Leave a comment:

• Hamish Wilson
    replied
    Originally posted by Alejandro Nova View Post
    I must say this. I'm (still) the owner of an infamous Pavilion tx1000, resucitated with black magic and south bridge switching, that included the also infamous GeForce 6150 SE. And I will say: thank you, NVIDIA, for all these years of tier-1 Linux support. I enjoyed almost 5 full years of support, despite the fact that I bought a DOA chipset. And there is still the legacy support, that will bring me support for 2 or 3 major X releases.
    I did not know my motherboards integrated chip was supposedly dead on arrival. Still, I know for a fact that nouveau does properly support the GeForce 6150 SE as of the release of Fedora 15 last year. Before that it was bit shaky though.

Leave a comment:

• johnc
    replied
    Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
    I currently have a 7900GS, so will this get dropped too?
    It seems like the 304 series will be the last supported series for that card. Afterwards it'll transition to legacy status... so Xorg / kernel updates and security fixes only.

Leave a comment:

• DeepDayze
    replied
    I currently have a 7900GS, so will this get dropped too?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X