This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by D0pamine View Post
    Seeing as nvidia do not support the nouveau project or even recognize it the 7950 i have will essentially be useless and should be discarded in favour of a newer nvidia card? (according to nvidia anyway)
    If by "essentially useless" you mean "supported by the 304 driver", then yes.

If you aren't even using it, what are you complaining about?

Comment

NVIDIA To Discontinue Linux Support For Some GPUs
      Should read

NVIDIA To Discontinue Support For Some GPUs on Linux
      Nvidia does not support Linux, and cannot "stop" supporting something they didn't support to begin with. Nvidia supports their GPUs and releases a binary driver to enable their users to utilize them under linux.

F

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
        If by "essentially useless" you mean "supported by the 304 driver", then yes.

If you aren't even using it, what are you complaining about?
        and i wont be able to use it now will i

Comment

Originally posted by beaverusiv View Post
          I would be interested to see how many people still have this (and other hardware like old CPUs) going. My 6600GT conked out 2 years ago along with my friend's one. I'm on a 4850 (grrr..) and my friend has a 9800GTX.
          We have a lot of these in active usage at university department in our workstations. Even some 5xxx are used.

Comment

Originally posted by D0pamine View Post
            and i wont be able to use it now will i
            You will still be able to use it with the 304.xx driver. It will be maintained as a legacy driver to make it work on e.g. new kernels. The change is that you will no longer see new features. Did you not read the article you're commenting on?

Comment

With this, NVIDIA certainly gained a former AMD customer...

When the news of r600-r700 drop of support came, i was really angered with AMD, especially since they seem to favour newer generations in the opensource radeon driver. To me, AMD wanted to push people to upgrade, they essentially killed the not-so-old generations on Linux.

Now NVIDIA, not only will still provide legacy drivers like they always did, so their older generations will work on Linux for many years to come, but, something that most didn't notice, they dropped support for much older gpus than AMD. Those dropped are D3D9 gpus, not 10-10.1 like AMD's... It makes sense, that after so many years, these older generations won't get any new features, it is not like that they could gain anything noticable anyway, and most are well below modern gaming requirements.

And to think that arrogant overrated prick told NVIDIA to f*** just because they won't open their expensive intellectual property to him...

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
                Now NVIDIA, not only will still provide legacy drivers like they always did, so their older generations will work on Linux for many years to come, but, something that most didn't notice, they dropped support for much older gpus than AMD. Those dropped are D3D9 gpus, not 10-10.1 like AMD's... It makes sense, that after so many years, these older generations won't get any new features, it is not like that they could gain anything noticable anyway, and most are well below modern gaming requirements.
                Actually, both companies made the cut at the same generation. AMD cut support at the X1x00 series, which was the last DX9 cards before the DX10 based HD2000 series. Nvidia cuts at the 7xxx series which was their last DX9 cards. The difference is that AMD made the cut in 2009 - just 4 years after the 2005 launch of the X1x00 series, while Nvidia waited until 2012.. and continues legacy support.

Comment

Ha, told you they'd be dropping support for something soon! Though I thought they'd also drop series 8 and 9.

Comment

When the news of r600-r700 drop of support came, i was really angered with AMD, especially since they seem to favour newer generations in the opensource radeon driver. To me, AMD wanted to push people to upgrade, they essentially killed the not-so-old generations on Linux.
                    Between the release of a new HW by AMD and the release of the ISA docs, there is a gap in which only the AMD teams can implement the driver. Red Hat teams and the community developers cannot do anything. This is why AMD primarily work on new hardware enablement.

Those dropped are D3D9 gpus, not 10-10.1 like AMD's...
                    Dx10 is very useful on Linux

Comment

With this, NVIDIA certainly gained a former AMD customer...

And to think that arrogant overrated prick told NVIDIA to f*** just because they won't open their expensive intellectual property to him...
                      I know - what an arrogant prick he is i'm going to stop using the linux kernel and use hurd instead.... hum that won't help much will it ( i'm being sarcastic by the way )

edit - i'd much rather use an open driver than a blob legacy or not so yeh fuck nvidia
                      Last edited by D0pamine; 28 August 2012, 03:47 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X