NVIDIA 304.37 Linux Driver Brings 41 Official Changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
    You're making this too easy. It took you exactly two posts to turn 180 degrees. All I did was bemoan Nvidia's treatment of nouveau and here you are, still going around in circles raging about who-knows-what.

Have a herbal infusion and leave the internet for a week, kid.
    Your quotes don't even make sense. Just like anything else you wrote. And I'm probably old enough to be your father. You're like, 12, right?

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
      Your quotes don't even make sense.
      Exactly. And you wrote them.

Comment

Exactly. And you wrote them.
        Originally posted by pingufunkybeat
        All I did was bemoan Nvidia's treatment
        What do you have against that idea?
        The whole process feels antiquated and alien to the operating system.
        I can post quotes that make no sense too, boy.

Comment

I can post quotes that make no sense too, boy.
          None of these contradict each other.

Comment

None of these contradict each other.
            Nope, they're perfectly clear. Offering that option has nothing to do with releasing specs.

Again: nothing to do with specs and only related to Nouveau by checking for its existence.

It's very easy to understand.

Comment

Offering that option has nothing to do with releasing specs.
              Of course it does, they are both about the relation between Nvidia and the nouveau driver.

Comment

Of course it does, they are both about the relation between Nvidia and the nouveau driver.
                No, they are not. It's like saying that Grub offering to boot Windows is about the relation of the FSF and Microsoft.

Comment

No, they are not. It's like saying that Grub offering to boot Windows is about the relation of the FSF and Microsoft.
                  No, it's like Microsoft Office offering a command-line switch that prevents LibreOffice from running, and disables SAMBA.

That would surely be about Microsoft's relation to LibreOffice and SAMBA.

Comment

You are pushing a political stance while overlooking the practical usage.

Answer me this *IF* a machine has nouveau drivers installed and loaded by the kernel and thus grabbing the hardware, how is the nvidia driver going to aquire control?

Where is my choice in using either nvidia drivers or nouveau. IF you don't want to use the nvidia drivers you don't want to BUT if a distro enables nouveau by default I don't have a choice.

I am looking at this from a dumb windows user who wants to try linux. Sure I could go in, blacklist the nouveau or recompile the kernel if it is built-in, but is a newbie? no.

Sure it would be great if nvidia opened the spec's to allow nouveau to provide better drivers but they havn't and to be fair nvidia drivers are good.
                    Also hte open spec for ati havn't really produced what the FOSS advocates fully wanted, last time I checked they couldn't handle glsl2 ... and even then hte top of the range ati cards are not supported by the foss drivers

Comment

This is such a silly argument. Nvidia's blob and nouveau cannot coexist, so it only makes sense to offer an option for disabling nouveau. This option simply blacklists nouveau, so what's the big deal?

Comment

Working...
                      X