• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
    Are you an idiot?
    Takes one to know one. What do you say?

Comment

@pingufunkybeat

nouveau is not killed it is just blacklisted. Btw. older installers asked already if you want to blacklist nouveau, so there is just a switch to do so, thats nothing magical. I would just prefer a switch to disable all X runtime, nouveau or whatever checks, that is really annoying. Every few releases there was a new check, some i avoided using mount --bind or so, but basically all that worked later was killing X inside screen. At least that works - a bit tricky but you can switch from nouveau to nvidia binary without rebooting. When you try the same with fglrx your system will definitely crash. Unloading radeon is however possible with the same trick.

Btw. on newer distributions with multiarch i highly recommend using the official distro packages (or correct backports) instead of running the nvidia installer directly - usually now they are very tightly integrated with switching support and other things that will definitely brake when you use the installer. The same is for fglrx, but there you could try to build distro specific packages. That does not work for Debian wheezy+ however.

Comment

Kano,

yes, my post was exaggerated satire, but I'm understandably upset that the only contribution Nvidia is making to the nouveau project is blacklisting it. This attitude is nothing new, but command line switches like this one are quite cynical.

I have to run Nvidia hardware at work (Cuda/OpenCL) and I had problems with official packages (Debian). The drivers themselves work (you have to pull them from experimental), but the Cuda/CL stuff is incomplete and broken, and I had to go back to the installer. This is also annoying -- I hate running closed source binaries as root. The whole process feels antiquated and alien to the operating system.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
          yes, my post was exaggerated satire, but I'm understandably upset that the only contribution Nvidia is making to the nouveau project is blacklisting it.
          "Understandably" upset? Nope. You're just trolling about a command line option that actually helps ensure the drivers will work if you're currently running Nouveou.

Yes, making a driver more user friendly is a bad thing.

So the user should be greeted with an X11 that doesn't start and it should be impossible to disable the open driver. Yey, what a great idea. You're a genius.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
            yes, my post was exaggerated satire, but I'm understandably upset that the only contribution Nvidia is making to the nouveau project is blacklisting it. This attitude is nothing new, but command line switches like this one are quite cynical.
            Want some cynic bits? Did you write your firmware for your hardware too? Guess who is running blobby bits as root, lol. But now enough with the trolling. mmmkay? :P

now, regarding VDPAU + KDE4 + composition + SMPlayer:
            *mplayer2-windowed - some mouse slowdown for my USB mouse ( I won't notice it as I go for fullscreen anyway most of the time ) and almost none for my PS/2 one, makes me think about the powersaving options for USB, this can be debugged with PowerTop I guess
            *mplayer2-fullscreen - almost no slowdown, it's not perfect but it's almost there
            *mplayer1-full&window - almost no slowdown, it's not perfect but it's almost there
            *Flash video even 1080p, 32bit version since the 64bit does not work ok/stable in Opera 64bit, accelerated display, accelerated decoding - no slowdown

Note that I'm using http://deb-multimedia.org/ builds of sm/mplayer so your results may vary.

Regarding FXAA:
            Unigine Heaven 3.0
            Render: opengl
            Mode: 1920x1080
            Shaders: high
            Textures: high
            Filter: trilinear
            Anisotropy: 16x
            Occlusion: enabled
            Refraction: enabled
            Volumetric: enabled
            Tessellation: extreme

NoAA: FPS: 23.2 / Scores: 584 / Min FPS: 9.0 / Max FPS: 59.0
            4xAA: FPS: 20.0 / Scores: 504 / Min FPS: 9.1 / Max FPS: 47.9
            FXAA: FPS: 18.8 / Scores: 475 / Min FPS: 10.1 / Max FPS: 30.7

Strange... guess I'll retest with tess normal or something

Comment

I guess FXAA is not very optimized on Linux. In Windows, with FXAA I take something like a 2FPS hit.

Comment

yup is has some issues.
                AA (MSAA) off give 60FPS vsync which goes downto say 55 around HoN's water effect.
                x8 AA gives ~ 40FPS which goes downto say 20 in big effects
                FXAA give 20fps which goes downto like 6 when effects are going on

this is with a 9600 tho so I wonder if it isn't too good on older cards.

And as I mentioned the application override in nvidia-settings doesn't actually do that

Comment

Originally posted by asdx
                  Fuck nvidia, and all the idiots who support them.
                  Seriously? You should stop swearing in every single post. This just makes you sound like a 13 year old child, who has nothing valuable to say. It does not help you to make your point, it just makes people ignore what you have to say and weakens your point. This is not meant to offend you, it's a sincere advice for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Naib View Post
                    yup is has some issues.
                    And as I mentioned the application override in nvidia-settings doesn't actually do that
                    Yes and no. first of all, looks like neither of us bothered to read the tooltip, lol, it plainly says that (at the moment I hope):

So no Override for us, do file a bug report though, use the 'buton' reason

Then I tested with Tesselation Normal:
                    4xAA: FPS: 26.8 / Scores: 674 / Min FPS: 18.9 / Max FPS: 54.4
                    FXAA: FPS: 30.2 / Scores: 762 / Min FPS: 20.8 / Max FPS: 62.7
                    Looks like the shaders get hammered on Tess Xtreme and FXAA suffers...

That's one thing, and the other, since I can't stand tearing and since nVidia set Vsync ON by default in the newer drivers I tend to forget about it so my old tests (and this one above) where done with Vsync ON, so turning Vsync OFF with Tesselation Xtreme got me this:
                    4xAA: FPS: 19.4 / Scores: 488 / Min FPS: 10.8 / Max FPS: 46.4
                    FXAA: FPS: 21.5 / Scores: 542 / Min FPS: 11.5 / Max FPS: 54.0

Maybe this needs testing with some other programs too, Michael said he has an AA comparison in the works so he'll cover it better, also I'm pretty sick of starring at looping demos daaammmit.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                      So the user should be greeted with an X11 that doesn't start and it should be impossible to disable the open driver. Yey, what a great idea. You're a genius.
                      No, that's not my idea, although I can see how somebody of your intellectual capacity could hallucinate something that stupid.

My idea is that they should release documentation for their hardware, so the nouveau folks can improve their driver. Work with the nouveau devs instead of blacklisting their driver. What do you have against that idea?

Comment

Working...
                      X