NVIDIA 304.37 Linux Driver Brings 41 Official Changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by asdx
    Fuck this. Fuck nvidia. I hope the Linux kernel devs implement a "--disable-nvidia" feature at the kernel level also in order to kill all the crappy blobs like the nvidia one.

Fuck you nvidia.
    This makes sense. IF oss nv drivers are installed its a pita to actually use nvidia drivers (you have to remove the module and all which is a pain for newbies), its easier from the foss driver point of view

Comment

Originally posted by asdx
      Fuck this. Fuck nvidia. I hope the Linux kernel devs implement a "--disable-nvidia" feature at the kernel level also in order to kill all the crappy blobs like the nvidia one.

Fuck you nvidia.
      oh come on, it's common knowlege why the drivers need that, stop trolling for the wrong reasons

Originally posted by Naib View Post
      because fxaa is a different approach to aa which is fast, why use MSAA when FXAA looks suitable when/if you can reclaim some fps...
      Also there instances where fxaa actually provides better visual results as well as being faster. check out the white papers and results.
      Oh, geez, you missunderstood me, I know all about FXAA/SRAA/MLAA/TXAA/*AA, as a user, I ONLY said that it's not needed to APPLY FXAA OVER MSAA, use MSAA or FXAA, but not both... that's all :P

BTW, in my test, Unigine Heaven 3.1, 1920x1080/16x AF, all HIGH, Tess Extreme, with in-engine 4xAA is (surprise) faster than with driver applied FXAA, I'll post the numbers once I get home later.
      Last edited by Licaon; 14 August 2012, 06:21 AM.

Comment

but thats my point... I went into nv-settings and it has an option "override application" but it turned out it didn't actually override the application.
        ingame I had AA at x8

in the nv control panel I can "force application" to x4 but it doesn't actually override it just adds aa, so app does x8 then nv does x4.
        So when I did FXAA it didn't override the program doing AA (as the nvidia-settings is implying) it does it on top of what the application is doing HENCE the x8 MSAA and then FXAA being applied by nv thus resulting in the fps drop.

once ingame was disable reasonable fps was recieved (lower than MSAA to be fair but I am playing)

you seem to be misunderstanding me, the issue here is with nvidia-settings not actually doing what it say. in windows force override does exactly that, in linux is does it in addition to

Comment

I did understand, I repeat, given the nature of the FXAA (and of the other shader based AA things) I found it rather ugly when combined (blurred text and al).
          Also, since this sounds like a bug somehow, do report it too via http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/utils...m/redirect/ask (not via nvnews since no nVidia dev posted there afaik since the June/July incidents)

Comment

Originally posted by gedgon View Post
            I'm not doubting you that some people are experiencing it. I'm just saying that I am unable to reproduce it here.

Comment

Originally posted by Licaon View Post
              oh, that one, yeah I get that too with mplayer2 but not mplayer1 so you can guess where to point the finger :P ( KDE 4.8.x 64bit w/ OpenGL composition + SMPlayer )
              I just removed mplayer2 and libav and replaced them with mplayer and ffpeg.

The slowdown isn't there. But it's just as useless, because when I minimize the video or make it fullscreen, the whole desktop freezes and mplayer crashes after 6 seconds or so (at which point the desktop becomes responsive again.)

Comment

Interesting to see the improved EDID support. Had to export the EDID.bin and fix it with some script on my monitor because otherwise the
                screen would be cropped. Maybe I can remove my Option "CustomEDID" from xorg.conf now.

Comment

Originally posted by Licaon View Post
                  [...]with mplayer2 but not mplayer1 so you can guess where to point the finger :P[...]
                  This is mplayer (not mplayer2) http://youtu.be/7VtHz4RNfac
                  It's not "5 fps cursor" but video shuttering is unacceptable, same as desktop experience at framerate < ~60 FPS

Comment

- A --disable-nouveau switch for the NVIDIA binary blob installer that will attempt to automatically kill the open-source Nouveau DRM driver to prevent it from being loaded and conflicting with NVIDIA's official driver.
                    This is wonderful news!

Now I'm hoping for a "--delete-Mesa" switch, followed by "--kill-GCC", and finally "--replace-everything-with-Win8", so people have no problems anymore and nothing conflicts with the official driver.

That's exactly what we want a hardware vendor to do -- not opening specification so we can use their shit, but deleting open source software from your computer if it doesn't fit in with their secretive master plan.

Kudos!

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
                      This is wonderful news!

Now I'm hoping for a "--delete-Mesa" switch, followed by "--kill-GCC", and finally "--replace-everything-with-Win8", so people have no problems anymore and nothing conflicts with the official driver.

That's exactly what we want a hardware vendor to do -- not opening specification so we can use their shit, but deleting open source software from your computer if it doesn't fit in with their secretive master plan.

Kudos!
                      Are you an idiot?

Comment

Working...
                      X