Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Linux Driver Hack Gives You Root Access

Phoronix: NVIDIA Linux Driver Hack Gives You Root Access

NVIDIA's had a past few weeks with Linus Torvalds having harsh words for NVIDIA the downing of their forums, and now a NVIDIA driver exploit being revealed that gives normal users the rights to super-user privileges...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

in b4 sh*t storm

Comment

Finally, full access to our local Fermi cluster!

Hehe, but kidding aside: I really don't want to be the guy running a Nvidia compute cluster at this very moment.

Comment

Michael, get the record straight on the 2006 vulnerability. The bug only existed for two releases, not years.

Comment

We all should be thankful for the security problems closed source drivers brings us it makes the world more fun by showing us the failure of humanity.
          Imagine a perfect world no one can laugh about mistakes the humanity do and all the LOLz would be lost.
          Let us praise Nvidia for this kind of failure entertainment.
          I hope the security hole will stay forever to show us the perfection of the Closed-Source-Creator God like and holy Nvidia.
          Our salvation Nvidia, our good Nvidia, our whole Nvidia, our untouched Nvidia , our entire Nvidia all our source of creative energy, our a light in the dark Nvidia.

Comment

It sounded like you where trying to say Linus was angry at Nvidia cause that forum went down.

Comment

Originally posted by maldorordiscord View Post
              [...]
              nah I think they will probably fix this severe security flaw in the next few weeks. And then they will introduce a new one. So that it's still easy for certain (cyber) security agencies to infiltrate linux computers, without the Nvidia closed-source driver linux users feeling unsafe.

We didn't hear so often about severe AMD Catalyst driver flaws. Probably they just hide their secret security holes better than Nvidia.

Comment

Originally posted by Fenrin View Post
                nah I think they will probably fix this severe security flaw in the next few weeks. And then they will introduce a new one. So that it's still easy for certain (cyber) security agencies to infiltrate linux computers, without the Nvidia closed-source driver linux users feeling unsafe.

We didn't hear so often about severe AMD Catalyst driver flaws. Probably they just hide their secret security holes better than Nvidia.
                Sure you are right I think in the same way. I also think Linus Thorvald only life in the USA because the USA do not accept a leed developers in key technologies outside of the USA .....
                A key developer in the BSD kernel team also put security holes into the source-code for the CIA and NSA in the past I'm 100% sure they do have the same people inside the Linux kernel team.
                Be sure these people do have people everywhere but with closed source there is no chance to find the security hole just in time.

Comment

RMS has a point

Originally posted by Fenrin View Post
                  We all should be thankful for the security problems closed source drivers brings us it makes the world more fun by showing us the failure of humanity.
                  Imagine a perfect world no one can laugh about mistakes the humanity do and all the LOLz would be lost.
                  Let us praise Nvidia for this kind of failure entertainment.
                  I hope the security hole will stay forever to show us the perfection of the Closed-Source-Creator God like and holy Nvidia.
                  Our salvation Nvidia, our good Nvidia, our whole Nvidia, our untouched Nvidia , our entire Nvidia all our source of creative energy, our a light in the dark Nvidia.

So the pattern keeps staying the same as always: blobbers screw up (and I don't even care if it was a deliberate act of malice or not), they get caught by the balls and yet they dare not giving a single fuck about cleaning up their own crap until they start getting slaughtered by a surge of customer outrage and most of the time not even then.

So much for the "freedom zealots" having nightmares about blobs' "maintenance" "quality" - "almost" "seems" they have every right reason to worry.

A key developer in the BSD kernel team also put security holes into the source-code for the CIA and NSA in the past I'm 100% sure they do have the same people inside the Linux kernel team.
                  Be sure these people do have people everywhere but with closed source there is no chance to find the security hole just in time.
                  And that's why I think it's absolutely insane to even think about depending upon proprietary technologies.
                  Last edited by ?John?; 01 August 2012, 07:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ?John? View Post
                    So the pattern keeps staying the same as always: blobbers screw up (and I don't even care if it was a deliberate act of malice or not), they get caught by the balls and yet they dare not giving a single fuck about cleaning up their own crap until they start getting slaughtered by a surge of customer outrage and most of the time not even then.
                    So much for the "freedom zealots" having nightmares about blobs' maintenance "quality" - "almost" "seems" they have every right reason to worry.
                    And that's why I think it's absolutely insane to even think about depending upon proprietary technologies.
                    Yes you are fully right its just "insane" I'm burned by closed source drivers so much (not by security but by instability) that I prefer to not play games which need need the performance of the catalyst. And I prefer to play games like hon on the lowest resolution and lowest settings the catalyst can handle all this at maximum all settings and all resolutions at a high fps rate but its just not worth it I need to use my PC every day and I can not break my system every week only because of the catalyst. Hell even the Mesa-GIT of the Radeon driver is more stable.

And I think security is the same problem people can not trust a closed system thats a fact.
                    Its like trust a police officer to be a good drug dealer or trust a drug dealer to be a good police officer.

Comment

Working...
                    X