Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So who are these douches that took down the nvnews site?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jmcharron
    replied
    Originally posted by asdx
    Fuck you nvidia & nvnews.
    Get off the bridge troll!!! Go ride a bike or hike a wooded trail, all that pent up anger is good for no one . If you truly care about using a system that isn't "tainted" with blob drivers use GNU/Hurd I hear its all the rage Now that project is going places!!!!

Leave a comment:

• Licaon
    replied
    I encourage you to:
    http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/ask -> Register -> Geforce/Other/Linux/Linux Driver/--/ ->
    Hello,
    I'm trying to access the official Linux support forum linked in http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answe...id/44/kw/linux yet I'm told that it's a private forum.

Is nVidia going to provide a public forum too?

Thank You!
    with honey...

Anyway MikeCs' posts are straaaaange:
    A Message From Obama - 7/18/12 @ 2:27 am - By: MikeC - Source: Me
    Hello, nV News remains under a brute-force Distributed Denial of Service Attack.
    More importantly I wanted to let all of our visitors know that President Obama is so in love with you.
    Let's rebuild America together.
    Vote for Obama.
    Thanks for the support.
    This message has been approved by MikeC.
    Regards, MikeC

About Situational Awareness - 7/19/12 @ 3:15 am - By: MikeC - Source: Me
    This country would be much "safer" if our children were taught about situational awareness.
    Situational awareness can be applied to numerous events that affect our daily lives.

It's also an excellent tool to weed out spammers that plague the Internet.

President Obama makes sure that his best combat soldiers are experts in situational awareness.

Your local police force are also experts in situational awareness.

Please click the headline to become aware of situations that affect your daily life.

Leave a comment:

• johnc
    replied
    Originally posted by zbiggy View Post
    I do not know how nvnews looks like now. As I said I stopped visiting nvnews. The whole history happened in one day after Linus action and I stopped visiting nvnews few days later.
    I think your tiff was something different and eventually got papered over because things were back to normal shortly after that.

This supposed DDoS seemed to follow on the heels of the much-publicized nvidia.com forums breach.

Leave a comment:

• tuke81
    replied
    Originally posted by legluondunet View Post
    and meanwhile, the official website of Nvidia, the link to Nvidia's Linux support is always pointing nvnews ... not very professional ...

http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html
    Maybe there's something to do with the fact that nvidia *nix driver team was there, and while nvidia's own forums are down there really aren't any backup forum for them...

Leave a comment:

• zbiggy
    replied
    Originally posted by devius View Post
    So that nvnews site was just a place for blindly glorifying Nvidia and anything that didn't accomplish that was eliminated. Nice. Just proves that you can't really trust much of the information floating around.
    Well, in these forums at least you can say what you want (within civility of course). Maybe the shutting down of the linux nvnews forums will bring new users to Phoronix.
    nvnews was usually good place where people published bug reports, Nvidia engineers helped and latest Nvidia drivers were published. When in early 2003 Nvidia lagged behind kernel releases we released patches to open parts of binary nvidia nforce drivers on nvnews to make nvidia driver buildable with recent kernels. There were many good posts for Nvidia for vdpau and xrender (I wrote some of them) and many bad. No problem. Mr. Torvalds action was turning point. Later weird things happened I do not understand. People blamed Linus and was hostile to anyone blaming Nvidia or trying to explain why Linus behaved like that.

Leave a comment:

• legluondunet
    replied
    and meanwhile, the official website of Nvidia, the link to Nvidia's Linux support is always pointing nvnews ... not very professional ...

Last edited by legluondunet; 25 July 2012, 10:27 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Gusar
    replied
    Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
    Sounds like the forum has been made private...
    That's because of a supposed DDoS attack on the site. Which, if true, is now going on for more than a week. But wouldn't a DDoS make the site completely inaccessible? At first MikeC just locked the Linux forum this way, after a few days he locked the entire forum. Except the Newegg part.

Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
    Will someone else step up to the plate and set up a forum for things nvidia that will be an authoritative source of unbiased information like the "old" nvnews was?
    I proposed Phoronix earlier in the thread. While I put a smiley next to it, why actually not? This place already reports on all Nvidia Linux stuff. The Nvidia devs could sign up here and provide the same kind of support they did at nvnews.

Leave a comment:

• DeepDayze
    replied
    Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
    I still get message "Your administrator has required a password to access this forum. Please enter this password now." on page http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14? Forum really restored?
    Sounds like the forum has been made private...what a shame. Will someone else step up to the plate and set up a forum for things nvidia that will be an authoritative source of unbiased information like the "old" nvnews was?

Leave a comment:

• zbiggy
    replied
    Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
    I still get message "Your administrator has required a password to access this forum. Please enter this password now." on page http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14? Forum really restored?
    I do not know how nvnews looks like now. As I said I stopped visiting nvnews. The whole history happened in one day after Linus action and I stopped visiting nvnews few days later.

Leave a comment:

• ninez
    replied
    Originally posted by zbiggy View Post
    I understand MikeC behaviour because he is American and people there focuses on "wow Linus has shown a finger to Nvidia" where European people usually would ask why Linus has shown the finger.
    Interesting post, however....

To bunch all Americans into one pile of people who can't think critically and are people who don't question motivations is well, obtuse. MikeC is a duchebag that happens to be an American - but you can't then blame/associate 400 million (other) people for his behavior, that is really REALLY silly and horrendously moronic. The fact of the matter is lots of people (US/Canadian/european/etc) were more concerned with why Linus would be pissed at Nvidia, rather than just his actions.

I'm not American (I'm Canadian) but i found this bit of your post quite annoying, and slightly offensive. How would you like it if i randomly picked some asshole european and then took his/her attributes and blanketed all europeans as having those traits?? (i'm sure you wouldn't like that at all).

cheerz

Leave a comment:

Working...
X