Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So who are these douches that took down the nvnews site?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zbiggy View Post
    This strange MikeC behaviour was because of me.

Here is what happened:
    Someone started a new topic about Linus middle finger shown to Nvidia with link to youtube video showing this. MikeC posted below response that all discussion about bad and unacceptable Linus behaviour is forbidden on this forum and locked the topic. The problem with MikeC was that he focused on Linus finger and bashing at him but didn't say a word about why Linus had shown the finger. I understand MikeC behaviour because he is American and people there focuses on "wow Linus has shown a finger to Nvidia" where European people usually would ask why Linus has shown the finger. What was his motivation to make such unusual for him gesture? I made a new topic saying this is censorship and tried to explain what was Linus feelings about Nvidia. (I live in Eastern Europe/former soviet block so maybe I'm too sensitive when freedom of speech is limited.). I also told that there is more people who would like to show finger to Nvidia and have good reason to do that (then described usb 1.1 freezing on geforce 8200 chipset - Nvidia reproduced and confirmed this bug but never provided patch to fix it - this is fixable because Solaris/FreeBSD/Windows does not have this bug). People wrote in comments that I'm whining and Nvidia makes great GPUs completely ignoring the fact that I was talking about mainboard chipset and usb problem in it. MikeC locked the topic so I could not explain that I do not have problems with GPUs but chipset and Nvidia should be ashamed not fixing it. Try to use PC without usb these days.
    MikeC created statement and made it sticky that:
    - he would like to kick Linus and my (@zbiggy nvnews nick) ass because of what we have done,
    - nobody accused him and his family so badly like me,
    - he would close Linux forum on nvnews because of me if it wouldn't be his only way of earning money for him and his family,
    - he asked forum ISP to close and send him Nvidia Linux forum content.
    Nvidia Linux forum then became read only. He made my post about censorship sticky. Later Nvidia Linux forum was not available.
    Then it was restored. I wrote pm to MikeC with apology I told him I understand that in US there is no censorship but private property and understand that forum owner has right to block posts he do not like and decide what will (not) be discussed. I asked him to make my topic about censorship not sticky to let it fall down in forum history out of users view. I removed my name and other personal details from my profile. Tried to delete all my post but could not. I visited nvnews daily since 2003 and made many posts. Now this is over. I will never go back there. nvnews will be better without me. It is sad that people focused on Linus and his finger but not the reason of showing it. It is sad that Nvidia became victim when actually was source of all this evil.
    There is only one solution to this - exchange unstable MikeC.
    Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Later Nvidia Linux forum was not available.
      Then it was restored.
      I still get message "Your administrator has required a password to access this forum. Please enter this password now." on page http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14? Forum really restored?

Comment

This strange MikeC behaviour was because of me. (...)
        I will never go back there. nvnews will be better without me. It is sad that people focused on Linus and his finger but not the reason of showing it. It is sad that Nvidia became victim when actually was source of all this evil.
        So that nvnews site was just a place for blindly glorifying Nvidia and anything that didn't accomplish that was eliminated. Nice. Just proves that you can't really trust much of the information floating around.
        Well, in these forums at least you can say what you want (within civility of course). Maybe the shutting down of the linux nvnews forums will bring new users to Phoronix.

Comment

I understand MikeC behaviour because he is American and people there focuses on "wow Linus has shown a finger to Nvidia" where European people usually would ask why Linus has shown the finger.
          Interesting post, however....

To bunch all Americans into one pile of people who can't think critically and are people who don't question motivations is well, obtuse. MikeC is a duchebag that happens to be an American - but you can't then blame/associate 400 million (other) people for his behavior, that is really REALLY silly and horrendously moronic. The fact of the matter is lots of people (US/Canadian/european/etc) were more concerned with why Linus would be pissed at Nvidia, rather than just his actions.

I'm not American (I'm Canadian) but i found this bit of your post quite annoying, and slightly offensive. How would you like it if i randomly picked some asshole european and then took his/her attributes and blanketed all europeans as having those traits?? (i'm sure you wouldn't like that at all).

cheerz

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
            I still get message "Your administrator has required a password to access this forum. Please enter this password now." on page http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14? Forum really restored?
            I do not know how nvnews looks like now. As I said I stopped visiting nvnews. The whole history happened in one day after Linus action and I stopped visiting nvnews few days later.

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
              Sounds like the forum has been made private...what a shame. Will someone else step up to the plate and set up a forum for things nvidia that will be an authoritative source of unbiased information like the "old" nvnews was?

Comment

Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
                Sounds like the forum has been made private...
                That's because of a supposed DDoS attack on the site. Which, if true, is now going on for more than a week. But wouldn't a DDoS make the site completely inaccessible? At first MikeC just locked the Linux forum this way, after a few days he locked the entire forum. Except the Newegg part.

Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
                Will someone else step up to the plate and set up a forum for things nvidia that will be an authoritative source of unbiased information like the "old" nvnews was?
                I proposed Phoronix earlier in the thread. While I put a smiley next to it, why actually not? This place already reports on all Nvidia Linux stuff. The Nvidia devs could sign up here and provide the same kind of support they did at nvnews.

Comment

and meanwhile, the official website of Nvidia, the link to Nvidia's Linux support is always pointing nvnews ... not very professional ...

Last edited by legluondunet; 25 July 2012, 10:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post
                    So that nvnews site was just a place for blindly glorifying Nvidia and anything that didn't accomplish that was eliminated. Nice. Just proves that you can't really trust much of the information floating around.
                    Well, in these forums at least you can say what you want (within civility of course). Maybe the shutting down of the linux nvnews forums will bring new users to Phoronix.
                    nvnews was usually good place where people published bug reports, Nvidia engineers helped and latest Nvidia drivers were published. When in early 2003 Nvidia lagged behind kernel releases we released patches to open parts of binary nvidia nforce drivers on nvnews to make nvidia driver buildable with recent kernels. There were many good posts for Nvidia for vdpau and xrender (I wrote some of them) and many bad. No problem. Mr. Torvalds action was turning point. Later weird things happened I do not understand. People blamed Linus and was hostile to anyone blaming Nvidia or trying to explain why Linus behaved like that.

Comment

Originally posted by legluondunet View Post
                      and meanwhile, the official website of Nvidia, the link to Nvidia's Linux support is always pointing nvnews ... not very professional ...

http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html
                      Maybe there's something to do with the fact that nvidia *nix driver team was there, and while nvidia's own forums are down there really aren't any backup forum for them...

Comment

Working...
                      X