Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So who are these douches that took down the nvnews site?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by asdx
    *yawn*

the shitty nvnews site is still down.

hahaha
    Asdx, your intentions are saint, but your religious icons perform sins on a monthly basis.

Comment

Originally posted by asdx
      I've already provided some points, but let's keep going:

1. Lack of KMS in the blob.
      2. Reinventing components that already exist (GEM, DRI, etc). Thus being hostile to developers.
      3. Refusing to provide specifications for nouveau developers. Thus, again, being hostile to developers.

Want me to keep going?
      1) Pretty sure that's a licensing issue
      2) They don't want the stability and performance of their driver subject to people out-with their control and they have the right to do so.
      3) That's their right as the owner of the hardware and IP.

ok bye.

Comment

Originally posted by boast View Post
        He probably doesn't even drive because the cars aren't opensource.
        What do you mean? AFAIK you can take a car apart, look inside, see how it works and modify it freely. You can also sell it to others in whole or in parts, and you can use its parts in other cars, so what part of a car isn't open-sourced?

Comment

Originally posted by scottishduck View Post
          Pretty sure that's a licensing issue
          Why proprietary nVidia Tegra driver support KMS then?

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post
            What do you mean? AFAIK you can take a car apart, look inside, see how it works and modify it freely. You can also sell it to others in whole or in parts, and you can use its parts in other cars, so what part of a car isn't open-sourced?
            The software written in the PCM that drives the engine, transmission and exhaust systems, for one. Most likely. I doubt you can get source for that, even if you asked nicely.

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
            The binary blob has had KMS for years; asdx doesn't know what he's talking about.

Comment

Why do you require kms - just for wayland? I really doubt that you can use wayland to play games. Also with new ssds the time you don't see X is very short, so you talk about 2-3 s without correct res, right? KMS is ok when it works, but i would not say it is a requirement for anything.

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post
                BMW has released the firmware source code for engine control unit, gearbox, drive AI and dash/HUD computer under GNU GPLv3 on all of their latest models, in an attempt to improve their softwarez by having more peoples checkz it out, recompile with -O5 -fOMG to gain more speeds, port to other arches, etc. Full hw specs are also released, so the community can make better versions or forks fast.

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
                  Tegra is a new architecture, for which a completely new driver has been written. This allows it to do things differently than it's done for Geforce. But the Geforce driver has had it's own kernel modesetting since forever, since way before there was KMS, and there's no compelling reason to change that.

@Kano: People think KMS = high-res console. And the only thing most of the people clamoring for a high-res console use it for is... a pretty boot splash. As if how the few seconds of boot-up look like is more important than actually, you know, using the machine. Which will be done in X.

Also, I wonder if these people are aware that the bootsplash of Windows is low-res. Well, I don't know about Win8. But in previous versions, including Win7, it's low-res.
                  Last edited by Gusar; 23 July 2012, 07:44 AM.

Comment

But the point is: this is not licensing issue.

Comment

Originally posted by crobe View Post
                      Ack, last time was Linus comment on NVIDIA, at first he deleted all discussion about the issue, then allowed discussion, then removed all discussions and posted the official statement from NVIDIA. Everybody asking what happened were accused of "bitching around". Nice Community.
                      This strange MikeC behaviour was because of me.

Here is what happened:
                      Someone started a new topic about Linus middle finger shown to Nvidia with link to youtube video showing this. MikeC posted below response that all discussion about bad and unacceptable Linus behaviour is forbidden on this forum and locked the topic. The problem with MikeC was that he focused on Linus finger and bashing at him but didn't say a word about why Linus had shown the finger. I understand MikeC behaviour because he is American and people there focuses on "wow Linus has shown a finger to Nvidia" where European people usually would ask why Linus has shown the finger. What was his motivation to make such unusual for him gesture? I made a new topic saying this is censorship and tried to explain what was Linus feelings about Nvidia. (I live in Eastern Europe/former soviet block so maybe I'm too sensitive when freedom of speech is limited.). I also told that there is more people who would like to show finger to Nvidia and have good reason to do that (then described usb 1.1 freezing on geforce 8200 chipset - Nvidia reproduced and confirmed this bug but never provided patch to fix it - this is fixable because Solaris/FreeBSD/Windows does not have this bug). People wrote in comments that I'm whining and Nvidia makes great GPUs completely ignoring the fact that I was talking about mainboard chipset and usb problem in it. MikeC locked the topic so I could not explain that I do not have problems with GPUs but chipset and Nvidia should be ashamed not fixing it. Try to use PC without usb these days.
                      MikeC created statement and made it sticky that:
                      - he would like to kick Linus and my (@zbiggy nvnews nick) ass because of what we have done,
                      - nobody accused him and his family so badly like me,
                      - he would close Linux forum on nvnews because of me if it wouldn't be his only way of earning money for him and his family,
                      - he asked forum ISP to close and send him Nvidia Linux forum content.
                      Nvidia Linux forum then became read only. He made my post about censorship sticky. Later Nvidia Linux forum was not available.
                      Then it was restored. I wrote pm to MikeC with apology I told him I understand that in US there is no censorship but private property and understand that forum owner has right to block posts he do not like and decide what will (not) be discussed. I asked him to make my topic about censorship not sticky to let it fall down in forum history out of users view. I removed my name and other personal details from my profile. Tried to delete all my post but could not. I visited nvnews daily since 2003 and made many posts. Now this is over. I will never go back there. nvnews will be better without me. It is sad that people focused on Linus and his finger but not the reason of showing it. It is sad that Nvidia became victim when actually was source of all this evil.
                      Last edited by zbiggy; 25 July 2012, 06:03 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X