Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So who are these douches that took down the nvnews site?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cutterjohn View Post
    Not really, I'm back and staying with nVidia with my new desktop unless they manage to forget how to write drivers. I've lived in catalyst hell for the last 3y with ATI and now the GPU is unsupported...

IF ATI is an example of 1st class citizen, I'll happily go with the 2nd class guys, you know the ones whose driver supports back to GF2...
    Oh, with that I completely agree! Believe me when I say I've had my fair share of driver nightmares (what an understatement) with ATI hardware - even on Window$! I would definitely NOT categorize ATI as a first class citizen on any platform, though they are improving slightly every time on Linux. As much as I don't like NVIDIA with their open source policies (not the entire company, as they make great hardware and drivers for Window$), they're the ones to go to if you need high-end GPU processing done right in severs/workstations (password cracking, anything related to CUDA, BOINC apps etc.). For simple, home/small office use, an Intel GPU will do just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by asdx
      It's not my problem if you fail to see the damages they've done to Linux and the community.
      Enlighten me then. Prove that you're capable of contributing to the forums with something that actually has some substance, prove that you're capable of more than just juvenile cursing. List the ways Nvidia has done damage to Linux and the community.

Comment

That's not damage, that's lack of support. But of course lack of support is driven by lack of customers.

I thought you would list ways in which they got in there and tried to suppress Linux adoption or some other actual hostility.

Comment

1- Nvidia has ignored Linux developers with everything they propse to make things better, Nvidia have said no to many things (Wayland, providing specifications for nouveau, etc).
          Wayland is not there yet on *anything*, so how can Nvidia not supporting it "damage" Linux?

And how does not providing specs to nouveau devs "damage" Linux? As we've seen with AMD, even specs don't mean Linux suddenly reaches new heights. The open drivers don't even have opengl 3.2, let alone opengl 4 and beyond. Specs from Nvidia won't magically change that.
          So if anything, the Nvidia blob has *helped* Linux, by providing top-notch opengl 4 support to those who need it.

2- Users still don't have support for Optimus, after how many years?
          Users don't have support for PowerXpress either, as AMD only provides a hack. It's an "official" hack, but it's still a hack. Only with xorg-server-1.13 and dma-buf prime will it be possible to properly support these technologies. So if not supporting Optimus has caused "damage", Linux caused this damage all by itself, for not providing the means to support muxless tech until now.

3- XRandR wasn't supported for years, and they added some support just recently
          There was TwinView. And the very few who need to rotate only one display in a multi-monitor setting (the only thing TwinView lacked, compared to xrandr), could use AMD or Intel graphics. So not seeing the "damage" on this point either.

4- Did I said how hostile they are with developers by refusing to provide specifications for nouveau?
          See point 1 about specs.

I could go on and on but I will stop now.
          Do go on. Because what you have now is very weak. Yes, you've pointed out shortcomings. But I don't see the big "damage" these shortcomings have done.

Originally posted by johnc View Post
          I thought you would list ways in which they got in there and tried to suppress Linux adoption or some other actual hostility.
          This.
          Last edited by Gusar; 21 July 2012, 03:11 PM.

Comment

Troll feeding time.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
              Troll feeding time.
              Yeah, but sometimes it's fun.

Notice how he says he could "keep going", but he couldn't even come up with four points (the last one is a repeat of the first one)?

Comment

[*]Lack of KMS in the blob.
                The most use Linux gets is either X (desktops and workstations), or being ssh'd into a server. Those few who actively spend time on a local console can use Intel or AMD graphics, or even Nvidia graphics with nouveau, if they want a high-res console.

So the "damage" from the blob not using KMS is... ?

[*]Reinventing components that already exist (GEM, DRI, etc).
                Intel "reinvented the wheel" when they created GEM, at a time TTM already existed. And they don't use Gallium. OMG, Intel does "damage" to Linux!!! Those bastards!

Hmm, should I mention that Nvidia had accelerated indirect rendering well before the open drivers had AIGLX? And that they had redirected direct rendering well before open drivers had DRI2? Or that they had in-kernel memory management before either TTM or GEM existed? Nah...

[*]Refusing to provide specifications for nouveau developers.
                You already said that. Twice. So this makes three now.

Want me to keep going?
                Of course. And be sure the next list will include "they don't provide specs to nouveau devs", cos you haven't mentioned that yet
                Last edited by Gusar; 21 July 2012, 05:32 PM.

Comment

He probably doesn't even drive because the cars aren't opensource.

Comment

Originally posted by boast View Post
                    He probably doesn't even drive because the cars aren't opensource.
                    He probably doesn't drive because he's not old enough.

Comment

Which is more likely to happen... the nvnews site is restored... or asdx de-douchifies himself? Hmmmmm...

Comment

Working...
                      X