No announcement yet.

NVIDIA PR Responds To Torvalds' Harsh Words

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

*YAY for nVida blob* Boo to all infants having wee tanties.....

Hi yall,

Thanks nVidia, for drivers that work and have done since about 2003, on my desktops. :-)

I'm "loving" my EVGA GTX 680. :-D

The infantile name calling is really going to push the Linux cause? *Yeah Right* More like make us look like a bunch of spoiled infants having a tanty, for not getting there way.

First nVidia is welcomed to write firmware blobs. Then they are insulted for writing firmware blobs by a hero of mine, Linus. Mr L, you are not making sense to me. Still, you are human and one of our strengths, is being illogical....

Not that not that nVidia can do no wrong, eh Mr Woodscrews? ;-) The support for Optimus is rubbish. Nvidia, screwed up royally there. Guys, release an official fix or at the minimum, allow those revolting intel onboard gfx cards to be turned off.

As for ATI/AMD, there support is rubbish on Linux. But I see years of astroturfing on this site, has created a loyal zombie army. *LOL* I never recommend that rubbish to friends installing Tux and indeed, none use it. As for dropping support, for gfx you are selling into market now? Fail. It is truly a "wonder" of modern marketing/astroturfing, that you have convinced anyone this is a good thing. *waits for the next ati driver release & all the cries of pain. A comedy I have been observing for about a decade.

*BFN*

GreekGeek :-)

Comment

Originally posted by gbudny View Post
      I think you can buy laptop with Nvidia graphic card (without Optimus):

http://linuxpreloaded.com/
      My only problem with that is that Zareason, System76 and Ohara only do Intel, I want to see some AMD APU based laptops running Linux, hell theres allot of windows people that would like a decent quality AMD laptop at all, but the only ones making them are the bargain basement companies like HP, so of course the quality is craptacular.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
        I think the "free & open" fanatics
        Omg linus is maybe a troll or something, he outrages sometimes easy, but what linus is not for shure is that he is a free &open fanatic ^^.

he is one of the practicalists guy on that matter that he even is against gplv3 and stuff. he has nothing against android he not even is worried about it even it has some blobs and java in it.

the point is that such important thing like a low-level driver should be compatible with the kernel, and that he can fix it too, its no program I will not install a commercial program, so yes you can see that different and maybe when you sandbox it somehow in a home directory or you trust ^^lol the company that build it, its maybe ok, for linux that is ok shurely, but on such important driver its like intel would have not given out how x86 works, its just retarded, and nvidia wins much money with linux, I would go that far that nvidia without linux would be broke tomorow, they focus not that much anymore on grafic cards for gaming but for them to be supercomputers, what os does supercomputer run linux most of the time, maybe sometimes other unixes. So they could give something back.

And its totaly retarded, so that driver cannot in the userspace, because it would be to slow, but the kernel is gplv2 so it is incompatible with such a blob, and the kernel is the biggest software project at the moment at all I think and the changelog or diffs gets bigger and bigger, this small little company nvidia cannot keep the speed of the linux kernel in the long run, they will not be able to. linus should just to show that to nvidia and also to amd, change much abi stuff for 1-2 years so that this drivers dont work at all for this time. Because that will happen anyway in 5-10 years, this companies will not be able and they are far behind today, they deliver not all features that are there, they can also not keep up with randr versions and such stuff, they will fall further back each year. its impossible to fight as one company against 1000 companies work and keep up with that, it will not happen.

Sorry for my english, did wrote better comments, but you can understand what I mean ^^

Comment

Nice PR response. It doesn't change the fact that the AMD blob kicks the nVidia blob on Windows. It also doesn't change the fact that the open source AMD driver keeps kicking the open source nVidia driver on Linux.

Any other configuration is bullshit to me and I will happily keep on buying AMD products because nVidia is not even worth considdering on both.

Thanks for the reasured reminder not to ever considder nVidia, nVidia. Oh and last but not least: "FUCK YOU, nFailia!"

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
            I think the "free & open" fanatics sometimes confuse the difference between a project and a product. NVidia offers products, not projects. They manage to make their products work within the confinements of a kernel that basically only supports in-kernel drivers. It's quite a challenge, but they come through with a product that works.
            Linux is a product, build upon a project. You don't have any idea about what are you talking about. To build a product you need a project

Anyway, if nvidia really wants to give support to Linux, it would play under Linux rules, open sourcing their driver.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Sarmiento View Post
              Anyway, if nvidia really wants to give support to Linux, it would play under Linux rules, open sourcing their driver.
              There is a Linux rule requiring open source drivers?

Does Linus know about this?

Why doesn't he enforce this rule?

Comment

My reply is "FUCK YOU NVIDIA!"

I have never bought another Nvidia product or anything that contains an Nvidia product. I hope AMD doesn't makr the same mistake with their ARM "spy on the user" digital restrictions management crap. Don't put it in every APU!. We want a choice!.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
                  There is a Linux rule requiring open source drivers?

Does Linus know about this?

Why doesn't he enforce this rule?
                  he does inforce it, he dont allow blob modules to be included into the kernel, he stopps giving support if you load that crap, the kernel says after loading such stuff, your system is now crap (tainted).

you cant even preinstall hardware + linux + nvidia blob you can be sued for that, but here is a question to that point, isnt nvidia do exactly that with tegra? can we not sue that bas...ds

Comment

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
                    he does inforce it, he dont allow blob modules to be included into the kernel, he stopps giving support if you load that crap, the kernel says after loading such stuff, your system is now crap (tainted).

you cant even preinstall hardware + linux + nvidia blob you can be sued for that, but here is a question to that point, isnt nvidia do exactly that with tegra? can we not sue that bas...ds
                    Ahhh... is that what he meant by that. In which case we're picking at scabs here... nvidia simply can not open source their driver code. It's been rehashed a zillion times why it's not possible. Now they can do something like AMD did, but we see that open source video drivers are inferior to their proprietary counterparts. So consumers who want to use their hardware to the fullest are forced into having a tainted system anyway. In practice, this is the reality we live under.

I'm surprised that you can't pre-install hardware, linux and proprietary drivers. Every Android device is loaded up with binary drivers for all kinds of things. If it's true, it's no wonder Linux has gone nowhere on the desktop: a company can't even sell something worth using. And if enforced, Android would be dead.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
                      ... Now they can do something like AMD did, but we see that open source video drivers are inferior to their proprietary counterparts.
                      According to bridgman AMD releases all the specs needed to write open source drivers equal to their proprietary Windoze or Linux blobs. That is unless AMD didn't release all the specs they use (except the UVD hollywood crap).

Comment

Working...
                      X