Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kano
    replied
    And you own an Optimus based laptop like the woman does who asked the question before?

Leave a comment:

• squirrl
    replied
    Linus Torvaulds, the single most detrimental factor to GNU/Linux acceptance.

Linus can just go fuck himself. As soon as somebody gets the balls to fork the kernel he can then just go fucking fork off in a new direction like the tree he is.

Time to step down old man. Too old and stagnant. I really hope you read this shet. Here's what I think of your ever-changing API's and ABI (_|_) <-- that's an ASsCI ASS.

NVidia is the best thing that ever became of Unix Graphics. They made graphics programming and gaming a breeze.

sigh

Leave a comment:

• 0xBADCODE
    replied
    Originally posted by Alex Sarmiento View Post
    A pattent should avoid that kind of things. Copying without innovation is not fair. Just ask apple and its tablet competitors
    The problem is that it could come as far as "Hey! Your thing is rectangular and uses screen! We've patented all kinds of tablets. As well as wheel, spoon and bicycle". You see, there should be something to avoid patents on trivial/well known things but it does not looks like it works. So unless innovators and inventors have many k$ or even M$ to defend from patent troll attacks they would be far better not inventing and manufacturing anything. Which is wrong.

As for nVIDIA, they told many useless words. What a worthless company.

Leave a comment:

• crazycheese
    replied
    Originally posted by macemoneta View Post
    I just removed the last Nvidia card from my systems; now running ATI and Intel with Fedora 17 out-of-the-box drivers. I get flawless 1080p video, 3D desktop and adequate light gaming. When Nvidia considers updating their attitude, I'll reconsider my opinion and recommendations.
    What AMD card specifically do you use, that you find more compelling than existing Intel-based acceleration?

Leave a comment:

• Alex Sarmiento
    replied
    Originally posted by johnc View Post
    We're talking about people who live in theory and ideology and have very little understanding of the harsh realities businesses face.
    Well, you tell me.

http://the-scientist.com/2012/06/19/...back-in-court/

Those harsh reallities are for end consumers, not big bussines.

Leave a comment:

• Alex Sarmiento
    replied
    Originally posted by locovaca View Post
    What incentive do I have to pour millions of dollars into researching and implementing new technologies if company x will wait 2 months, spend $50k on some overseas developers, and put together a lookalike in a few months?

That is the opposite of sane competition.
    A pattent should avoid that kind of things. Copying without innovation is not fair. Just ask apple and its tablet competitors

Leave a comment:

• Alex Sarmiento
    replied
    That's not the issue. Exposing how a driver interacts with a patented portion just makes it easier for AMD to figure out what's going on and develop an extremely similar but, for the sake of patent infringement, different enough implementation.

That's what a pattent is supussed to protect. Anyway, a different enough but better implementation (that would need a lot of investment and work) has its merits and should be protected too, that's how innovation goes faster isn't?

Leave a comment:

• GreatEmerald
    replied
    Originally posted by Veerappan View Post
    That's because for quite a few years, Wine was written specifically towards the Nvidia drivers, bugs and all. Nvidia do have a good GL driver for the most part, but what you're seeing is a side effect of the Wine developers only targetting the Nvidia blob for a long time. That may have changed in the last few years, but it was true for a long time.
    So I hear... ...yet the open-source radeon drivers can run them just fine (although it's more of a glorified slideshow than a game at that point). And the "UT3 unplayable" bug is the oldest unfixed problem in the unofficial fglrx bugzilla. So it is a bug in the driver, and not in Wine. So yes, NVIDIA still has the best blob out there, until issues like this get fixed.

Leave a comment:

• johnc
    replied
    What incentive do I have to pour millions of dollars into researching and implementing new technologies if company x will wait 2 months, spend $50k on some overseas developers, and put together a lookalike in a few months?

We're talking about people who live in theory and ideology and have very little understanding of the harsh realities businesses face.

Leave a comment:

• locovaca
    replied
    Originally posted by Alex Sarmiento View Post
    That's what i would call sane competition and faster innovation

Leave a comment:

Working...
X