No announcement yet.

NVIDIA PR Responds To Torvalds' Harsh Words

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ubuntu 12.04 on Intel HD 3000. No complaints. When I bought my last notebook, I just grabbed an i3 SB machine and added an SSD. Boots to login in 5 seconds, no blobs required.

Comment

Originally posted by gbudny View Post
      I think you can buy laptop with Nvidia graphic card (without Optimus):
      I don't get why we have switchable graphics in the first place.

Did somebody really think "Our graphics cards drain the battery too much on idle so we should also put in another graphics chip from another company that can display stuff while we idle so we can power off our card..."?

Why not try to build a modular graphics card where you could actually electrically turn off many parts so that the remaining parts still can provide basic 3d acceleration and render 2d stuff?

Comment

Originally posted by asdx
        They are full of shit and lying, perhaps the best we could do is stop buying their crap, if we wanted to go far perhaps we could make the kernel not compatible with the blob anymore (i.e. breaking it), so we get rid of that cancer (nvidia blob) completely.
        I don't see problem with the blob if it doesn't affect the developement of the kernel itself and AFAIK it does not get any special treatment. Linux often changes its driver interfaces and NVIDIA has to adabt to that already. It's quite obvious that desktop/laptop Linux is not really important for NVIDIA. It's the super computers, mobile and dedicated workspaces. Pointlessy fighting NVIDIA doesn't get us any better drivers.

Comment

It's funny because people still didn't understand that NVIDIA cares about Linux for only one reason: professional usage. They don't give (and it's obvious) a shit about all the rest. They need to make Maya software be perfect under Linux and all those super professional software because Linux is really used in such areas.

They don't give a shit of all the rest. To make it short, they don't give a shit about you. You should all accept this. They will care about you only when Linux becomes a true succesfull gaming platform. They are a company, they look at money. Linux "desktop" is not a business for them, do you guys get this or are you too blind to accept the reality?

Professional usage, that's all about it. All the rest is bullshit.

The summary:
          0) NVIDIA cares only about money and market share (definition of a surviving company)
          1) you are no one for NVIDIA (actually, you are a disturbing piece of shit for them that talks too much on the internet)
          2) they care about professional usage and don't give a shit about the desktop. There is no such Linux desktop market (they can't go against point 0)
          3) they don't give a shit about wayland and new technologies unless really needed to advance (point 0 and 2 is the rule)
          4) they don't give a shit about Optimus and any other "special" chipset (point 2 is the rule)
          5) they care about Android and all those new hippy things (point 0 is the rule)
          Last edited by bulletxt; 19 June 2012, 04:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
            I don't get why we have switchable graphics in the first place.

Did somebody really think "Our graphics cards drain the battery too much on idle so we should also put in another graphics chip from another company that can display stuff while we idle so we can power off our card..."?

Why not try to build a modular graphics card where you could actually electrically turn off many parts so that the remaining parts still can provide basic 3d acceleration and render 2d stuff?
            The latest round of cards from AMD and nVidia do power down significantly at idle. I think the 7970 consumes like 5W at idle, but scales up to 250-300W under load. That's huge savings....on a desktop. A 5W idle would be about a 50% consumption increase on an idle notebook with an IGP. The integrated GPU on llano and ivy/sandy bridge are far more efficient at idle, and should even be capable of desktop 3D tasks most of the time. That's why switching graphics is a good answer, as the dedicated graphics will never power down that much, due to the need of supplying board logic, basic GPU functions, and DDR5.

Comment

Originally posted by kotakotakota View Post
              To be completely honest, I feel like we push for a little too much sometimes: the whole attitude toward everything having to be open source is a little ridiculous. Sure it would be nice if Nvidia released open source drivers, but to be honest, I'm more interested in the performance of my drivers than the license. That said, I really do wish Nvidia would have a bit of a nicer attitude toward us. I'm sure they will soon though with Linux gaming on the rise.
              The problem isn't so much NVidia releasing open-source drivers. That is a pipe dream, they simply aren't going to do it, and they probably can't because of patents in the drivers.

The thing people are asking for is NVidia releasing the documention on their cards' hardware so other people can make clean-room driver implementations. It really doesn't make any difference to NVidia, the nouveau project will figure out the hardware on their own so the documentation will be released eventually no matter what NVidia does. However, if NVidia releases the documentation it would save the noveau developers a ton of work and hopefully greatly speed up the driver implementation on Linux. So NVidia loses nothing and Linux users gain a huge amount.

Comment

.i. (o.o) .i. (oh look it's Linus)

Comment

"Recently, there have been some questions raised about our lack of support for our Optimus notebook technology"

Interesting way to describe the situation caused by not supporting or even caring at all about most laptops sold the last 2 years with their graphics hardware. I can feel the deep care flowing my way.

Comment

Originally posted by Detructor View Post
                    the gaming example is pure bullshit. You can play games as good with an AMD card as you can with a Nvidia card.
                    I wish that was true, but no. I'm a HD4890 user, and from my experience, there are many games on Wine that just won't work properly on AMD hardware while NVIDIA users report that everything is just fine. Pretty much most of the issues I've had were with Unreal Engine 3 games - Mass Effects and Unreal Tournament 3, which don't even start properly. Older games work fine, though.

Comment

Fuck You Nvidia!

My NVIDIA card I use for http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iq8bCGiRUL4 only.

Comment

Working...
                      X