• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• uid313
    replied
    Originally posted by scjet View Post
    YES ! Ha ha ha
    Linus really does have a "pair" afterall.
    Linus have always said what he want.

Leave a comment:

• scjet
    replied
    Optimess anyone ?

Originally posted by t.s. View Post
    Point taken: don't buy NVidia hardware from now on; don't recommend their hardware also for our friend..
    But..but.. If I use linux, their driver is one of the best.. 怎么办?
    Oh, what an irony..
    ...ironically, you're wrong, because ALL the "newer" laptops (with nvidia chips), and I do mean all, have the "Nvidia Optimus" technology, so in other words, those expensive nvidia gpu's just became useless on linux, and we're paying for nothing !? Bumblebee/Schmumblebee -thanks for squat Nvialis, err I meant nvidia
    Oh, what a bunch of lying_oxymorons@nvidia

Leave a comment:

• scjet
    replied
    It's about time.

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Linus Torvalds Calls NVIDIA The Worst Company Ever

Linus Torvalds, the creator of the Linux kernel, has called out NVIDIA for their poor graphics drivers in a public presentation. In the talk he called NVIDIA "the single worst company we have ever dealt with" and ended his green comments with "NVIDIA: FUCK YOU!"..

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTEyMTc
    YES ! Ha ha ha
    Linus really does have a "pair" afterall.

"OptiMESS" is nvidia's fault, and NOT Linux's, so just FIX IT ALREADY nVidia, will ya ?!
    Did I not hear a "door" just open for AMD ?! -Hello ! amd ?

Leave a comment:

• Paul Frederick
    replied
    I always recommend Nvidia

Originally posted by t.s. View Post
    Point taken: don't buy NVidia hardware from now on; don't recommend their hardware also for our friend..
    But..but.. If I use linux, their driver is one of the best.. 怎么办?
    Oh, what an irony..
    Because Nvidia works the best for me. I wish I could say FOSS is better, but so far it hasn't been.

Leave a comment:

• 0xBADCODE
    replied
    Originally posted by Teho View Post
    It's a support forum not a place for religious wars. I kinda see why they want to keep the trolls away.
    There is absolutely no excuse for censorship (*)

* Unless you're Mr. Stalin.

P.s.: I'm really happy I don't have to deal with such vendor and such community.
    Last edited by 0xBADCODE; 20 June 2012, 06:44 PM.

Leave a comment:

• 0xBADCODE
    replied
    Originally posted by e8hffff View Post
    It's clear now Microsoft is finished. They can't get it right in the mobile market which is the future. The Surface Tablet has had a poor reception when announced.
    They missed virtualisation markets. And their virtualisaton products is whay I call real crap. They missed netbooks and forced everyone to eat Vista which has been just too slow to be usable on netbooks. They failed to compete iPOD and then iphone and ipad. Then Android has appeared and finally overtook OEM market offering better terms and conditions. Free of charge? Customisable? Flexible? Multi-tasking? Not limited to very few chipsets? Ha-ha. WP7 stands no chance.

MS lost it ability to create good products. They only able to "produce" some racket and dirty tricks. Not something that works well for technology companies.

Leave a comment:

• e8hffff
    replied
    Originally posted by allquixotic View Post
    It's even simpler than that. Linux is coming everywhere whether you like it or not, and the companies that don't adapt to the new business model are going to lose out even with the old capitalistic system. It's simple: when Dell or System76 or whoever has to choose what hardware to ship on their OEM Linux boxes (which are coming eventually), they're going to choose the hardware with the best graphics drivers. If you don't have KMS or Wayland or Optimus or current-enough drivers to run on recent kernels or proper mode-switching support, you are going to get passed up. The same applies to Android, but replace KMS/Wayland/Optimus with whatever the latest craze is on ARM SoC graphics. Power saving? Open source drivers so that manufacturers can fix bugs themselves? Support for the latest OpenGL ES? Clearly there are more factors in selecting a well-working chip with a well-working driver than sheer performance.

Nvidia doesn't need Linus Torvalds to tell them fuck you. They are fucking themselves just plenty on their own. Linus was just trying to wake them up so that maybe in the coming revolution they might survive, but if they don't, nobody -- absolutely nobody -- is going to miss them.

It's clear now Microsoft is finished. They can't get it right in the mobile market which is the future. The Surface Tablet has had a poor reception when announced. Metro is enforced on Users who don't want it nor on a phone or tablet. Windows RM8 breaks their linage and divides their support and software products. Linux on the other hand is scalable and is suited for the biggest of computing to the smallest, low powered device.

Who will command server farms, ARM. Who will command mobiles tablets, ARM. Who will command ARM, LINUX. There's the answer to the future.

The famous people in computer, tomorrow, will be Linux figures.

(If hardware vendors don't get on-board now, and with A1 drivers and products will be cutting their own prosperity.)

Leave a comment:

• Artemis3
    replied
    Linus was spot on: Preinstalled.

Originally posted by johnc View Post
    Looks like a Steve Ballmer moment to be honest. Slightly embarrassing, to say the least.

Earlier in the talk somebody asked him why Linux had never taken off on the desktop. He completely misses the answer of course. The "open-source-only" religious fanatics had dominated the Linux community for 15+ years and pretty much relegated it to nothing more than a cheap alternative to other UNIX-like OSes (i.e., for the server / workstation markets). Even Google had to go heavy on non-GPL licenses to make Android successful.

Of course, without NVIDIA's current efforts, Linux as a mainstream desktop is an absolute non-starter.
    Bullshit. Linus was spot on: Preinstalled.

IMO every computer should be sold with a free OS preinstalled by default, and any commercial alternative (ie Windows) be optional by adding the license fee (microsoft tax); not the other way around.

What had fanatics to do with anything? The GPL only affects you if you want to do modifications and then publicly redistribute said modifications without disclosing them. There is also lgpl and freebsd style licenses. Many corporations have no problem working with these, and there was a time were every hardware component had their whole technical manual available without stupid clauses, that is exactly what we need. The likes of nvidia are thankfully a minority.

While Android is like 20% free 80% proprietary, Ubuntu is more like 90% free, while MacOSX is the opposite with like 10% free. If "fanatics" were such a nuisance, why bother with free components at all? Where is Copland OS? Free software is used by merits of quality and reliability vs the closed model.

There is also people like Shuttleworth working to bring linux to the masses, not only focusing in a user oriented distro, but also dealing to have the OS come preinstalled in computers, or stand alone devices like TVs or even cellphones.

The advantage of working open is a benefit, not a hindrance; but it takes time and effort to convince some corporate managerial types who are more used to secrecy and isolation (leading to bugs, security holes, etc). There is a whole school of tough about compete vs cooperate, which causes a never ending "re-invent the wheel" situation because the other guy won't or can't share. Humanity wouldn't have progressed without people copying and/or building upon the works of others.

Nvidia needed for a mainstream desktop?... Maybe only if you are a gamer, anything else can already be done with other brands or even nouveau. This might be because the community has been slow with AMD/ATI, or some issues with few undocumented features there. Intel has traditionally fared better in that camp (with few exceptions), there also used to be others, the most promising bough by nvidia and sold for parts (3dfx).

Perhaps someday the Chinese will come with a clone gpu architecture to rid us of this mess or at least open another path, same way they did their mipsel (loongsoon) cpu, they might take something, add a few changes, document it and mass produce it to break nvidia's position once for all.

Leave a comment:

• Teho
    replied
    Originally posted by 0xBADCODE View Post
    So now there is also censorship to shut up those unhappy with nvidia policy and hence interferring with their fat profits . That's what I would expect from proprietary companies and their fans. They always have to resort to tyranny and screw up someone, one way or another. And that's one of reasons why I dislike propritary approach.
    It's a support forum not a place for religious wars. I kinda see why they want to keep the trolls away.

Leave a comment:

• 0xBADCODE
    replied
    Originally posted by johnc View Post
    When this topic was raised, the administrator / owner asked that it not be discussed on his forum.
    So now there is also censorship to shut up those unhappy with nvidia policy and hence interferring with their fat profits . That's what I would expect from proprietary companies and their fans. They always have to resort to tyranny and screw up someone, one way or another. And that's one of reasons why I dislike propritary approach.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X