Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA's 302 Linux Driver Finally Has RandR 1.2/1.3

Phoronix: NVIDIA's 302 Linux Driver Finally Has RandR 1.2/1.3

At long last, the NVIDIA binary Linux graphics driver properly implements support for versions 1.2 and 1.3 of RandR, the Resize and Rotate extension for the X.Org Server. This support comes with the newly-introduced 302.xx beta Linux graphics driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by asdx
    But still, no KMS, no plans to support Wayland...
    ... And still no Optimus support ! Will I ever be able to use the Nvidia chip embedded in my laptop before I switch for an Intel only one ?

Comment

Hey, what's with the pessimism? Seriously, that's great news!

Will xrandr 1.1 rotation be supported by default now, or still need an
      Code:
      Option      "RandRRotation" "true"
      option in xorg.conf?

Comment

Does this finally allow me to select on which monitor the panel of the gnome-shell should be rendered?

Comment

Originally posted by aelo View Post
          Does this finally allow me to select on which monitor the panel of the gnome-shell should be rendered?
          Yes that should work now.

Comment

Originally posted by asdx
            But still, no KMS, no plans to support Wayland...
            Do you realize pretty much all your posts are you demanding you get all sorts of stuff "right nao!"? Without doing anything on your part to make them happen?

Nvidia will surely support Wayland once it's actually usable. By that I mean once you'll be able to run a full system on it. But getting there takes time. If this process isn't going fast enough for you, then do something about it, instead of just demanding things like a spoiled kid.

And about KMS, this has already been explained before: KMS is an implementation detail, it's one possible way of doing modesetting. Nvidia has no reason to support it, they already have their own implementation of kernel modesetting. The people demanding KMS from Nvidia don't actually want KMS, what they want is a high-res console. Which Nvidia probably could provide, if they had incentive (read: if one of their high-paying customers wanted it).
            I have to ask though: Why is a high-res console so important? I bet most of the people demanding KMS from Nvidia are using X all the time.

Anyway, rather than whining about what isn't there, my reaction to this news was OMG!! I think this is quite something. While I didn't mind setting up Twinview, being able to use standard xrandr tools is quite welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyborg16 View Post
              Hey, what's with the pessimism? Seriously, that's great news!

Will xrandr 1.1 rotation be supported by default now, or still need an
              Code:
              Option      "RandRRotation" "true"
              option in xorg.conf?
              It's in the article...
              *Removed the "Rotate" X configuration option. This was used to statically rotate the X screen. Its functionality is replaced by the "Rotation" MetaMode attribute and RandR 1.2 rotation support. See the README for details.
              *Removed the "RandRRotation" X configuration option. This enabled configurability of X screen rotation via RandR 1.1. Its functionality is replaced by the "Rotation
              More importantly that probably means you can finally get one screen rotated normal and one screen rotated left/right in an easy way.

Comment

Clap Clap Clap

Thanks, finally, waited for ever, it works pretty neat!
                Clap Clap Clap...

Comment

Originally posted by Gusar View Post
                  The people demanding KMS from Nvidia don't actually want KMS, what they want is a high-res console. Which Nvidia probably could provide, if they had incentive (read: if one of their high-paying customers wanted it).
                  I have to ask though: Why is a high-res console so important? I bet most of the people demanding KMS from Nvidia are using X all the time.
                  Actually, high-res console is not really an issue, as you can simply use vesa modes (vga=0xXXX) which is close enough (minus flicker and very-slow-switch).
                  However, at least in theory (read: in the future), KMS should give you an option to see OOps message while in X.
                  Granted, Linux BSOD screen is *not* a killer feature, but if you spend your days tearing at serial consoles, a KMS console is a refreshing change...

Originally posted by Gusar View Post
                  ... my reaction to this news was OMG!! I think this is quite something. While I didn't mind setting up Twinview, being able to use standard xrandr tools is quite welcome.
                  Indeed!

- Gilboa
                  oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
                  oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
                  oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
                  Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Originally posted by gilboa View Post
                    Actually, high-res console is not really an issue, as you can simply use vesa modes (vga=0xXXX) which is close enough (minus flicker and very-slow-switch).
                    Minus native resolution if it's not in the vbios of the card, which in many cases it isn't (particularly widescreen resolutions tend to be absent).

Originally posted by gilboa View Post
                    However, at least in theory (read: in the future), KMS should give you an option to see OOps message while in X.
                    Not in theory, the future is now . Has been here for some time now. Check your dmesg, you'll see "drm: registered panic notifier" in there - if you're using a KMS driver that is . Nvidia could easily implement their own such notifier, I doubt drm and KMS are strictly needed for that.

Comment

Working...
                    X