NVIDIA's 302 Linux Driver Finally Has RandR 1.2/1.3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by asdx
    But still, no KMS, no plans to support Wayland...
    So when is wayland going to be stable? You know so there is something to target. I also thought that wayland could use Xorg drivers?

How would KMS be helpful without an in-kernel driver?

As much as I keep hoping nvidia open-sources their driver, it's not going to happen and that one that i can't spell or be bothered to look up, doesn't work so well on gentoo 64bit multilib (with 32bit wine) and doesn't really work well for gaming.

Comment

I wonder if nvidia intends to add in some of the new gaming features that the Windows version picked up recently.

Comment

Originally posted by Gusar View Post
        You were writing as if it was impossible for them to do so, as if there's a technical limitation or something. But they could do it, and they don't need KMS for it.

But why? They don't need to, to provide the things people want when they say "we want KMS".

xrandr is a bit different, it can do something twinview wasn't capable of - rotating just one display in a multi-display scenario. But besides that I'm not aware of any limitations twinview had, other than needing nvidia's tools to set it up, as opposed to using standard xrandr tools.
        To add to that, well I'm pretty sure KMS is GPL, not LGPL, so there's likely licensing issues. As for another method, I doubt Nvidia wants to put in the effort for something non-critical. I'm sure if Linux becomes more popular, or Nvidia has some other incentive, then they'll probably do something about it.

I would concur that focusing on things such as critical issues, bugs and xrandr support seems like time better spent

Comment

You were writing as if it was impossible for them to do so, as if there's a technical limitation or something. But they could do it, and they don't need KMS for it.
          Badly worded, perhaps. I wasn't saying it was impossible for Nvidia to fix - I was saying it was impossible to do certain things without them fixing it.

Comment

i wonder if this driver fixes the issue of powermizer being in full 3d clocks when 2 screens are operating.
            when disabling one powermizer started to work normally.

Comment

Originally posted by xpander View Post
              i wonder if this driver fixes the issue of powermizer being in full 3d clocks when 2 screens are operating.
              I don't have that problem when both screens are the same resolution and refresh rate.

When my monitors were different resolutions, it was locked at the max. But that was the same in Windows 7 too.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
                I wonder if nvidia intends to add in some of the new gaming features that the Windows version picked up recently.
                like what?

I've opened a thread regarding ViewPortIn/Out here: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=179892

Comment

Originally posted by xpander View Post
                  That's a hardware issue. Generally, the memory clock cannot be easily changed without flickering if multiple screens are connected, and the driver defaults to the fastest clock due to that.

Comment

Originally posted by brent View Post
                    That's a hardware issue. Generally, the memory clock cannot be easily changed without flickering if multiple screens are connected, and the driver defaults to the fastest clock due to that.
                    Ah, so that's the reason? I always thought it's bandwidth issues. For example, on my laptop I have to force the card into it's lowest performance level, and when using TV-out (S-Video), the tv screen would go blank every few seconds. This wasn't the case when I could still operate the card in higher performance levels.

Comment

Ah, so that's the reason? I always thought it's bandwidth issues. For example, on my laptop I have to force the card into it's lowest performance level, and when using TV-out (S-Video), the tv screen would go blank every few seconds. This wasn't the case when I could still operate the card in higher performance levels.
                      The display controllers are isochronous clients of the memory controller, so you can not change the frequency of the memory while the dc does the scanout without distorting pixels on the screen. So to reclock memory you have to wait until the display is in VBlank and do the reclocking in this short timeslice. As soon as you connect two monitors, which always have a slightly different scanout rate (maybe just because of circuit tolerances) the two VBlank periods practically never sync up, so you have no chance to reclock memory without distorting the content of at least one screen. So the driver just goes to the highest mem clock and stays there, to work around this issue.

Comment

Working...
                      X