Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 302.07 (beta) for Linux x86/x86_64 released

Release highlights since 295.40:
    *Fixed a bug that caused OpenGL programs to leak file descriptors when calling exec() on themselves.
    *Fixed rendering corruption at the start of new X server generation.
    *Added X driver support for RandR 1.2 and RandR 1.3. See "Support for the X Resize and Rotate Extension" in the README for details.
    *Extended the MetaMode X configuration option syntax with the following new attributes:
    "Rotation" : specifies the display device's rotation
    "Reflection" : specifies the display device's reflection
    "Transform" : specifies a 3x3 transformation matrix to be applied to the display device
    "ViewPortOut" : specifies the region of the mode in which to display pixels
    "ViewPortIn" : specifies the size of the region in the X screen to display in the ViewPortOut

For example, "DFP-0: nvidia-auto-select { Rotation=left }".
    See "Configuring Multiple Display Devices on One X Screen" in the
    README for details.
    *Removed the "TwinView" X configuration option; the functionality it provided is now enabled by default.

Previously, the NVIDIA X driver only enabled one display device for an X screen unless "TwinView" was enabled. Now, the NVIDIA X driver enables, by default, as many display devices as the GPU supports driving simultaneously. To limit how many display devices are driven by an X screen, use the "UseDisplayDevice" X configuration option.
    *Added a "CurrentMetaMode" attribute to the nvidia-settings command line, to query and set the current MetaMode.

As an example, these two commands are equivalent:

xrandr --output DVI-I-2 --mode 1280x1024 --pos 0x0 --output DVI-I-3 --mode 1920x1200 --pos 1280x0

nvidia-settings --assign CurrentMetaMode= "DVI-I-2: 1280x1024 +0+0, DVI-I-3: 1920x1200 +1280+0"
    *Removed overscan compensation configurability from NV-CONTROL and nvidia-settings. This can be configured, with finer granularity, through the ViewPortIn and ViewPortOut MetaMode attributes. See "Configuring Multiple Display Devices on One X Screen" in the README for details.
    *Altered mode validation such that for digital display devices the X driver only allows, by default, modes which are reported in the EDID. Previously, the NVIDIA X driver allowed other modes, but implicitly scaled those other modes to one of the EDID modes. Now, only the modes in the EDID are validated and the X driver does not do any implicit scaling. Any desired scaling can be configured explicitly through the new "ViewPortIn" and "ViewPortOut" MetaMode attributes. See "Configuring Multiple Display Devices on One X Screen" in the README for details.
    *Removed Flat Panel Scaling configurability in nvidia-settings. Any desired scaling can be configured through the new "ViewPortIn" and "ViewPortOut" MetaMode attributes.
    *Hotplug events (specifically, the RRNotify_OutputChange RandR event) are now generated when display devices are connected and disconnected from the GPU. Many desktop environments automatically resize the X desktop in response to these events.
    *Added display device name aliases, such that X configuration options that use display device names can refer to a display device by one of several names, including the RandR Output name for the display device. The X log reports the list of aliases for each display device.
    *Updated EDID parsing to include more complete support for EDID 1.4 and more recent versions of CEA-861.
    *Removed the "Rotate" X configuration option. This was used to statically rotate the X screen. Its functionality is replaced by the "Rotation" MetaMode attribute and RandR 1.2 rotation support. See the README for details.
    *Removed the "RandRRotation" X configuration option. This enabled configurability of X screen rotation via RandR 1.1. Its functionality is replaced by the "Rotation" MetaMode attribute and RandR 1.2 rotation support. See the README for details.
    *Removed support for the following NV-CONTROL attributes:
    NV_CTRL_GPU_SCALING
    NV_CTRL_GPU_SCALING_DEFAULT_TARGET
    NV_CTRL_GPU_SCALING_DEFAULT_METHOD
    NV_CTRL_DFP_SCALING_ACTIVE
    NV_CTRL_GPU_SCALING_ACTIVE
    NV_CTRL_FRONTEND_RESOLUTION
    NV_CTRL_BACKEND_RESOLUTION
    NV_CTRL_OVERSCAN_COMPENSATION
    NV_CTRL_FLATPANEL_BEST_FIT_RESOLUTION
    *Improved rendering performance for RENDER bitmap text.
    *Enabled the OpenGL "Sync to VBlank" option by default.
    *Added a new option, --restore-original-backup, to nvidia-xconfig. nvidia-xconfig creates a backup of the original X configuration file when modifying an X configuration file that does not appear to have been previously modified by nvidia-xconfig. This option restores a backup of the original X configuration file, if such a backup is found.
    *Expose the following additional FSAA modes via NV-CONTROL, nvidia-settings, and through X visuals and GLXFBConfigs:
    16X multisample FSAA on all GeForce GPUs
    Coverage sample FSAA on G80 and above GeForce GPUs
    32X multisample FSAA on G80 and above Quadro GPUs
    64X multisample FSAA on Fermi and above Quadro GPUs
    *Enabled conformant texture clamping by default in OpenGL.
    *Removed support for the GVO Clone mode NV-CONTROL attributes:
    NV_CTRL_GVO_DISPLAY_X_SCREEN
    NV_CTRL_GVO_X_SCREEN_PAN_X
    NV_CTRL_GVO_X_SCREEN_PAN_Y
    *Added a new, higher resolution icon for nvidia-settings.
    *Updated the NVIDIA X driver's handling of X configuration options that affect an entire GPU, not just a particular X screen running on a GPU (e.g., "NoPowerConnectorCheck"): for such X configuration options, the X driver will now honor the option on any of the X screens configured on the GPU. Prior to this change, the NVIDIA X driver only honored such options on the first X screen configured on a GPU.
    *Added a checkbox to nvidia-settings to control the texture clamping attribute. When the box is checked, OpenGL textures are clamped according to the OpenGL specification. When it is unchecked, GL_CLAMP is remapped to GL_CLAMP_TO_EDGE for borderless 2D textures.
    *Removed the "Display" and "X Screen" tabs from the "X Server Display Configuration Page" of nvidia-settings, and added a new "Selection" dropdown menu for selecting X screens or display devices. This makes it easier to select X screens/Displays that are hidden.
    32bit/64bit
    Last edited by Licaon; 02 May 2012, 11:25 AM.

"Added X driver support for RandR 1.2 and RandR 1.3."

I don't have any use for this, but I remember lots of people bitching about this one.

Comment

Nvidia i see what you did there...
      RandR support makes it more ex-Windows(7) user friendly...

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
        "Added X driver support for RandR 1.2 and RandR 1.3."

I don't have any use for this, but I remember lots of people bitching about this one.
        I honestly don't even know what they're talking about, since I gave up on using anything but nvidia hardware years and years ago. I know typing xrandr -s # works great and always has, as well as programs being able to change resolutions on the fly. I don't think I'll bother with this one for a while:

Code:
        13:47:21 up 101 days, 16:01,  3 users,  load average: 3.14, 3.14, 3.14
        This with the binary blob (285.05.09) on a machine used to serve several things, lots of development work, and constant tinkering with figuring out how to get old games to run under dosemu and wine. I play native stuff like warsow and various HIB games from time to time as well.

Comment

Originally posted by psycho_driver View Post
          I honestly don't even know what they're talking about, since I gave up on using anything but nvidia hardware years and years ago.
          it's actually a pretty killer feature that Nvidia had promised 3 years or so back before apparently getting sidetracked on the video acceleration stuff.

what this means is that gnome/xrandr/etc will no longer see all your monitors as one big virtual display, but as independent ones that can be controlled/arranged/resized/etc via gnome/xrandr/etc. you can now script monitor attach/detach (or make use of gnome-managed auto-detection) to dock/undock events, or hotkey bindings. In the past you had to resort to twiddling around in nvidia-settings to do it, which is a major pain for laptops with docks, or for people who switch on/off output to their TVs regularly.

it also means window managers that are "display aware" and do things like allow you to independently control/switch workspaces on a per-display basis will actually work with nvidia proprietary drivers now that they are no longer "tricked" into thinking you just have one big display.

in general it means that display configuration for nvidia cards is now, finally, up-to-par and identical to intel/ati/nouveau/etc, which, via xrandr, had long since surpassed nvidia-settings for this task.

previously nvidia only supported xrandr 1.1 or so, which was basically just resize/rotate: neither of which worked right for multi-monitor setups due only a single virtual display being exposed. (it was doable via nvidia-settings, but not scriptable, and not interoperable with common management tools used for other cards)

it's really great stuff, and it has taken nvidia off my blacklist for linux workstations cards. really glad to see the nvidia folks hadn't forgotten about this.
          Last edited by fluxion; 02 May 2012, 05:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by fluxion View Post
            what this means is that gnome/xrandr/etc will no longer see all your monitors as one big virtual display, but as independent ones that can be controlled/arranged/resized/etc via gnome/xrandr/etc. you can now script monitor attach/detach (or make use of gnome-managed auto-detection) to dock/undock events, or hotkey bindings. In the past you had to resort to twiddling around in nvidia-settings to do it, which is a major pain for laptops with docks, or for people who switch on/off output to their TVs regularly.

it also means window managers that are "display aware" and do things like allow you to independently control/switch workspaces on a per-display basis will actually work with nvidia proprietary drivers now that they are no longer "tricked" into thinking you just have one big display.

in general it means that display configuration for nvidia cards is now, finally, up-to-par and identical to intel/ati/nouveau/etc, which, via xrandr, had long since surpassed nvidia-settings for this task.
            +1, this is why it's good news.

I've recently had to sack-off the binary driver on my laptop as it's just retarded to use with gnome-shell & more than one screen.

On the contrary, nouveau won't adjust the power levels properly (yet). That's the lesser of two evils for now (as I spend most of my time plugged-in).

But in general, thank you for finally catching-up, Nvidia.

... Now please "donate" some "resources" to improving the nouveau PM features.

Tom

Comment

linux drivers GTX 690 ?

hI!
              First post here!

I am planning to buy the GTX 690 nvidia beast and using it exclusively on Linux.
              But the latest beta Linux drivers (300 something) do not seem to officially support this card.

Does anybody know when this official support will arrive?
              Till then I do not buy this card and I will be waiting.

This is what i wrote here:

Do you know something about this matter?

Comment

About hardware accelerator for 302.07(beta)

Hi guys,

302.07(beta) has support hardware accelerator ?

Have any one use hardware accelerator already?

I install below lib on 302.07(beta)
                1. libva1
                2. libva-dev
                3. vdpau-va-driver

But,my vainfo is failed.
                xlib: extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":0.0". ==>something wrong
                libva: va_getDriverName() return 0
                libva: Trying to open /usr/lib/dri/nvidia_drv_video.so
                Segmentation fault

please help me..

Thanks.

Comment

You don't need VA. With NVidia, you use VDPAU. Uninstall all VA packages, and only install libvdpau.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                    You don't need VA. With NVidia, you use VDPAU. Uninstall all VA packages, and only install libvdpau.
                    Thanks first.

I uninstall VA packages and install libvdpau1 libvdpau-dev.
                    vainfo still failed.
                    vainfo: vdpau_driver.c:189 vdpau_do_Initialize: Assertion `vdp_status == VDP_STATUS_OK' failed.

I don't known how to fix it.

Comment

Working...
                    X