Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Releases 295.20 Linux Drivers

Phoronix: NVIDIA Releases 295.20 Linux Drivers

NVIDIA this morning formally released the 295.20 display drivers for Linux x86/x86_64...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Added a "--no-opengl-files" option to nvidia-installer to allow installation of the driver without OpenGL files that might conflict with already installed OpenGL implementations.
    Did nvidia just add a feature to help with bumblebee (optimus) installations? ;-)

Comment

1 release in Nvidia fix same quantity of bugs like 12 release in Ati/AMD

Comment

Well, it's not all rosy in NVidia land though. VDPAU still doesn't work with KDE when composite is active. Also, KDE becomes slow as molasses when the driver switches the card to low power state (50Mhz GPU clock.) Windows 7 with Aero on the other hand is super smooth in low power state. Aero can do everything with just a 50Mhz clock. Whoever said that Aero is poorly written and unoptimized didn't have a clue what the hell he was talking about.

Overall though it's much better than the experience I had with the ATI card.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
          Well, it's not all rosy in NVidia land though. VDPAU still doesn't work with KDE when composite is active. Also, KDE becomes slow as molasses when the driver switches the card to low power state (50Mhz GPU clock.) Windows 7 with Aero on the other hand is super smooth in low power state. Aero can do everything with just a 50Mhz clock. Whoever said that Aero is poorly written and unoptimized didn't have a clue what the hell he was talking about.

Overall though it's much better than the experience I had with the ATI card.
          the big problem in linux, is the rolling release, NEVER we could get stable software since the versions are changing constantly, AERO is the same s*** since win vista and it had at least 4 years where the drivers were improved to handle it like all windows versions (adding that the manufacturers dont care another thing different of microsoft due to the Quantity of users involved) . A SP in windows brings problems too, but you cannot compare a SP upgrade againts a newer kernel version. Linux grows faster left behind the others main sources. I guess this should change in a near future.

Comment

Originally posted by Pickle View Post
            Did nvidia just add a feature to help with bumblebee (optimus) installations? ;-)
            I was just wondering if they might have made it possible for the Nv blob and mesa to co-exist peacefully, which would make it much easier for me to switch back and forth.

Comment

They can coexist if you use a separate directory for Nvidia's gl stuff. AFAIK, it's still needed.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                Windows 7 with Aero on the other hand is super smooth in low power state. Aero can do everything with just a 50Mhz clock. Whoever said that Aero is poorly written and unoptimized didn't have a clue what the hell he was talking about.
                ?

Areo on Vista is the slowest desktop I have ever had. It takes 5+ minutes for the right side desktop menus to show up. It is not that bad on Win7.

Still, on my machine KDE beats Vista's Areo by a great margin.

Comment

Originally posted by sabriah View Post
                  ?

Areo on Vista is the slowest desktop I have ever had. It takes 5+ minutes for the right side desktop menus to show up. It is not that bad on Win7.

Still, on my machine KDE beats Vista's Areo by a great margin.
                  As I said, Aero is perfectly smooth with the GPU running at 50MHz. KDE totally craps out and I need to raise the clock to 400Mhz to get a fluid desktop. These results don't lie.

Comment

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post
                    I was just wondering if they might have made it possible for the Nv blob and mesa to co-exist peacefully, which would make it much easier for me to switch back and forth.
                    This was already possible. Unless the distro didn't bother with it, that is. On Gentoo, you switch between OpenGL (and also OpenCL) implementations at runtime and at any moment you like. I was under the impression other distros would have a similar setup.

Comment

Working...
                    X