Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will NVIDIA Optimus Inevitably Come To Linux?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, synergy is a technology that uses the dedicated nvidia gpu for 3D acceleration only, and draws the resulting 3D image to the framebuffer of the main video card, thereby using only one monitor connection and not needing a pass-through cable. Anybody else got a flashback of the PowerVR PCX2?

Comment

Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
      Which is a neat trick of nVidia's considering the majority of render nodes are headless.

With all of the well known wireless issues involved with Linux, why would you want to use it on a laptop?
      I've never once had a problem with the laptop's I've used linux with (intel wireless)

Comment

Yeah, my laptop has GPU issues but no wireless issues or anything else. (Nouveau randomly locks up on it within minutes of booting, and the official NVIDIA drivers run the GPU too hot the last time I tried; granted, the official NVIDIA drivers on Windows did the same thing and I had to run with a Summer-2010-era vendor-supplied driver until just a month ago. Word for the wise: never ever buy any laptop with ASUS's name attached to it.)

Comment

Yeah, wireless worked perfectly on my laptop before it bit the dust, but I understand that it very much depends on the hardware and the driver.

Comment

Originally posted by bwat47 View Post
            I've never once had a problem with the laptop's I've used linux with (intel wireless)
            Consider yourself lucky that you've never experienced wireless disappearing after resume.

Comment

Working...
            X