No announcement yet.

What should I do wrt nvidia optimus laptop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In Linux, you are using Intel on most computers where the BIOS is set to use hybrid. (If you install the NVidia proprietary on such a laptop, Intel's 3D gets disabled)
    Many BIOS'es have an NVidia/ATI only / Win XP mode option, which lets you use the NVidia / ATI always. And within a year I expect it to be possible, to run a specific program on NVidia (don't know about ATI) when starting it with a special command. Automatic switching is not yet working, but we might get that with Wayland within some years.

Comment

Just curious, I've heard by various different people that the client prefers Nvidia video cards over ati cards and that's why frame rate drops happen on ati using people?

Comment

Try "bumblebee".

Comment

Best send me the laptop for free, then i will test it for you

Comment

Originally posted by marwi509 View Post
            Try "bumblebee".
            The original "bumblebee" is no longer supported or being worked on. It got replaced by the following two projects:
            https://github.com/MrMEEE/ironhide (By the original creator of bumblebee)
            or
            https://github.com/Bumblebee-Project/Bumblebee (By a group of devs that worked on bumblebee)

I'm not gonna go into why there are two projects, but I personally prefer ironhide atm.

Comment

I hate to say this but everything an upgrade comes with intel chipsets some components and other elements have become so obselete you need to upgrade it so frequently..

Comment

That second link of Lynden, is Bumblebee 3.0, which was announced on phoronix some time ago. Since version 3.0, it automatically powers down the unused GPU. It's probably the hybrid graphics switching tool for Linux out there, at least if you have nvidia Optimus and not AMD.

Comment

Best to send it back and get the intel with their IGP one, like myself . If you want to go to binary side, get discrete nvidia or amd (or fusion).

Comment

Getting nVidia only laptops (which I think is what you mean by "discrete nvidia" is hard nowadays. Hybrid nVidia+nVidia setups don't exist anymore in today's laptops, and nVidia only is also becoming very rare except for laptops that have Linux preinstalled.

Comment

Nouveau & Optimus

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
                      I don't know if the nouveau folks can figure it out, but I wouldn't bet on it in the short term.
                      There's nothing to figure out, at least not for the moment. The X server simply doesn't support this setup. WIP.

Comment

Working...
                      X