Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Discrete GT_430 more beneficial in any way than i3-530's Intel HD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discrete GT_430 more beneficial in any way than i3-530's Intel HD?

Is a discrete nV card which can utilise VDPAU still much more beneficial overall than relying on Intel HD?

I'm talking purely from a VA (encoding/decoding etc) perspective, not 3d acceleration.
    Or is there no longer any compelling advantage nV cards have in this area?

I'm looking at something like this*

But am wondering if there's any good reasons to bother any more?

P.S.
    Wondering why the nV sub-forum is heaps smaller than the AMD/ATI one on Phoronix.
    Is that because most of the nV binary and open-source community is over at nVnews?

*Alas the OEM GT 430 seems slightly better, not sure why that is?

Anyone?
    Thank-you.

Comment

Well, there are a few things to consider. Right now the 430 would offer you acceleration on the most applications and as well is probably using the more mature vdpau which sees more development then other api's at present. The intel HD is a work in progress and does have a few issues like not being able to give a true 24000/1001 frame rate which ends up displaying duplicate frame every once and a while. There isn't much in encoding support utilizing vdpau/opencl yet in linux. Nvidia also allows for proper colorspace playback with being able to limit from 16-235 instead of the DVI scale of 0-255. There are also advanced post processing capabilities found on the nvidia card such as hardware scaling.

Comment

Thanks Deanjo,
        Sounds like an nV discrete really is necessary still if one wants the most versatile HTPC/PVR set-up.

Shame about the end-user GT 430 not being quite as capable as the OEM version.
        Time to decide on which GT 430 to get now, any preferences?

Thanks again!

Comment

The only real difference is that the OEM 430 may have a larger amount of memory on it. The trade off is that the memory is usually slower as well as consume more power. You would be better served getting the end user version as it would save on power and that extra memory wouldn't be utilized at all for video playback.

Comment

Good point, the memory shouldn't be faster, & the extra amt is only advantageous* for gaming.
            And that's not the point of this card, I'll be buying another discrete mid-range later (GTX560ti or HD6950) for that purpose.

Any GT_430 make/model you like?
            *although debatable

Comment

For video playback use I would be looking at this one,

Comment

Merely because it's fanless?

Thanks.

Comment

@Deanjo?

Sorry for bugging, just curious as to what you're rationale is, for thinking it's a stand out?
                  Thanks for sharing your time/thoughts, it really is appreciated!

Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by jalyst View Post
                    @Deanjo?

Sorry for bugging, just curious as to what you're rationale is, for thinking it's a stand out?
                    Thanks for sharing your time/thoughts, it really is appreciated!

Cheers.
                    It being a completely passive cooling solution would be the rational for picking that one. You generally want your PC to be quiet as possible for home theatre uses.

Comment

Working...
                    X