Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Discrete GT_430 more beneficial in any way than i3-530's Intel HD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You mean that 24000/1001 fps mode? I never used that mode and i watched lots of movies with mplayer, vlc or xbmc. Did you notice that all the mentioned can directly (or mplayer via special version) use vaapi? xbmc just would need a bit more work on it - but when you dont have got bd material even software codeing would work. I will not try mythtv but what's the big deal to add a vaapi backend?

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
      You can not use the experimental flash vdpau accelleration. Fine, but your cpu has got 2.93 ghz and can decode that easyly if needed. The web bitrates for h264 are a joke. You need accelleration for hd bluray content with bitrates >40 mbit/s. vlc can use vaapi, currently i have got some problems with vaapi and xbmc, not sure what the problem is. Somebody reported success with the 1.0.x libva series, i used 0.31.1 sds. mplayer-vaapi can use the accelleration too. Do you REALLY have got content that you can not play correctly?
      I srsly dunno, maybe you are right, i am but a young padawan with much to learn

Comment

But I am now more confused than ever
        Perhaps I should just go for the GTX 560 Ti now.

After all I think would like to do a bit of gaming eventually.
        But that's not the main interest....

Comment

My only concern is that I want to keep wattage down...
          I have many, many, other components....
          I don't trust my memory to list them right now, as I'm drunk.
          But every slot will be stuffed, including up to 3 x25-v & up to 4x 2TB 7.2k 3.5" HDD.
          And my PSU (although very good quality) is only a seasonic x-650.

Comment

Currently gtx 460 have got a good price, gtx 560 ti is new and therefore at least 1 month overpriced because lots of ppl want to get it directly after launch, after that usually the card will be at least 10% cheaper.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
              You mean that 24000/1001 fps mode? I never used that mode and i watched lots of movies with mplayer, vlc or xbmc.
              IIRC aren't you the one that watches everything at your monitors refresh rate as well?

Did you notice that all the mentioned can directly (or mplayer via special version) use vaapi?
              When did XBMC start supporting mplayer in linux? AFIK external mplayer support in the linux version is only available on the the old xbox version and now on the windows version.

Comment

xbmc as direct vaapi support, when you would install libva-dev packages you would notice that.

Comment

LOL... You guys are going way over my head now....
                  I'm very light gamer, in fact I play games maybe once a year.
                  I might play more if I had a decent card, haven't had one in approx. 7yrs.
                  I own an XB360, & use a bit more than my PC for gaming, but not much more.
                  I just want to know whether i should get the GT_430 or buy an GTX 560 Ti.

Comment

@deanjo

I watch everything at default tft refreshrate because thats much less problematic than permanent tearing. The media lately mentioned that there was no 24000/1001 mode just a 24 hz for current intel hd gfx. It would be needed to resync after 1001 frames, fine, you must have got the eyes of an eagle to notice that every 42 seconds. It may not be a perfect match, but that's definitely overrated and not worth to buy extra hardware. Most of the time i watch dvd media in a window - only full hd i watch fullscreen. Also vdpau is not perfect too, i definitely notice tearing when i enable it for dvd/mpeg2 content and latest mplayer svn - without ffmpeg12vdpau override or xv it is not there.

Comment

Kano, I recall you recommending 9mth ago that I go for a GT 220.
                      Have things changed that dramatically? Not flaming just confused.

Comment

Working...
                      X