Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Discrete GT_430 more beneficial in any way than i3-530's Intel HD?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First of all intel drivers are much newer now. libva too, very interesting are the sandy bridge libva changes - i even saw vc1 support. Did you every USE your box as media player or do you only talk about it? Certainly in the beginning stage of a new driver it is more easy to use a dedicated gfx card, but that was as you noticed 9 month ago.

Comment

No I'm a bit of a joke, I still haven't used it extensively as a media player TBH.
      I've been planning it all for about 12-mth now, LOL....
      But I have a massive build I'm about to commence in a few days.

Comment

Originally posted by jalyst View Post
        But I am now more confused than ever
        Perhaps I should just go for the GTX 560 Ti now.
        After all I think would like to do a bit of gaming eventually.
        But that's not the main interest....
        My only concern is that I want to keep wattage down...
        I have many, many, other components....
        I don't trust my memory to list them right now, as I'm drunk.
        But every slot will be stuffed, including up to 3 x25-v & up to 4x 2TB 7.2k 3.5" HDD.
        And my PSU (although very good quality) is only a seasonic x-650.
        LOL... You guys are going way over my head now....
        I'm very light gamer, in fact I play games maybe once a year.
        I might play more if I had a decent card, haven't had one in approx. 7yrs.
        I own an XB360, & use a bit more than my PC for gaming, but not much more.
        I just want to know whether i should get the GT_430 or buy an GTX 560 Ti.
        Where to go?

Comment

Isn't it clear that every a dedicated card needs more power than a integrated gfx solution? Why don't you try it NOW for your use case - when you really have got problems then buy a card. But buying a lowend card now and a faster card later for games is definitely stupid. You should better know what you want and what not. If you use a console for gaming then you most likely don't need a gaming card - when you don't play games with it...

Comment

okay kano, thanks for your time/thoughts, I think

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
              Isn't it clear that every a dedicated card needs more power than a integrated gfx solution? Why don't you try it NOW for your use case - when you really have got problems then buy a card. But buying a lowend card now and a faster card later for games is definitely stupid. You should better know what you want and what not. If you use a console for gaming then you most likely don't need a gaming card - when you don't play games with it...
              Well he could always use that second card for Physx later on or openCL apps as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                @deanjo

I watch everything at default tft refreshrate because thats much less problematic than permanent tearing. The media lately mentioned that there was no 24000/1001 mode just a 24 hz for current intel hd gfx. It would be needed to resync after 1001 frames, fine, you must have got the eyes of an eagle to notice that every 42 seconds.
                You don't have to be an eagle eye to spot the dupped frame. It is very visible especially when you know that it is happening. It is annoying as hell. Again people that want excellent video playback will have their software set to adjust the displays frame rate to match. If you are a video afficianado that enjoys fullscreen video you will want that setup.

It may not be a perfect match, but that's definitely overrated and not worth to buy extra hardware. Most of the time i watch dvd media in a window - only full hd i watch fullscreen.
                That's fine, not everybody has the same expectations for what is "acceptable". Your watching DVD video for example in a window is not really common practice. Usually if someone is going to sit down and watch a movie or a program they will want to see it fullscreen.

Also vdpau is not perfect too, i definitely notice tearing when i enable it for dvd/mpeg2 content and latest mplayer svn - without ffmpeg12vdpau override or xv it is not there.
                Mpeg2 is not really a concern at all for acceleration now days. That is one codec that is easily handled via software with next to no cpu usage as it is. If you are however noticing tearing on DVD's it is more then likely from not matching the displays refresh to the content. Media players such as XBMC, Mythtv, Boxee don't even attempt to use hardware acceleration for MPEG2 because of it's extremely undemanding load.

Comment

some good points deanj, you've tipped me back towards getting a discrete.
                  thanks everyone, I do appreciate all your thoughts, no disrespect!

night.

Comment

haven't ordered yet, will do so in the next 24hr.

Comment

so how about those broncos hey?

Comment

Working...
                      X