No announcement yet.

NVIDIA 256.52 Linux Driver Brings Fixes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you know that SI cards have changed their tessellation, shader core designs?

SI shader core is 4D VLIW, this changed everything from driver's perspective. What does it mean? It means SI support will be another 3 years away.

Buy ATI means you will never have on-time proper support. ever.

Comment

Originally posted by FunkyRider View Post
      Do you know that SI cards have changed their tessellation, shader core designs?

SI shader core is 4D VLIW, this changed everything from driver's perspective. What does it mean? It means SI support will be another 3 years away.

Ah, so this isn't really about Evergreen at all, but rather a generic ATI sucks rant.

First, are you talking about the OSS drivers or fglrx? You seem to be merging the 2 together in your complaint.

fglrx will come with support at release, at the same time the windows drivers are released. just like evergreen did.

for the OSS drivers, they've actually started working on support now, rather than waiting until long after it's released, so i would expect support of some minimal level to come quicker, not slower. And changing tesselation design is the last thing that would affect the driver, since it's nowhere close to even supporting that feature yet. As far as the design completely changing how the driver works, where's your source? I doubt anyone outside of ATI really knows this for a fact, and think you're making shit up, but if you can provide a good source i'll believe you.

Comment

SI shader core is 4D VLIW, this changed everything from driver's perspective.
        Just a change from 5 to 4 VLIW instructions doesn't seem particularly hard to support.

They are apparently starting to work on drivers now, so an open driver could be available on launch.

Comment

HAHAHA, let's wait and see, this will be yet another time you ATI lovers are proven wrong.

As for the details, call me making shit up all you want, you are so used to live in your dreamed ATI fglrx works at all world so whatever.

To me, Evergreen is soon begin to phase out and yet there is still no OSS support, not even 2D accel. That is one EPIC FAIL for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Agdr View Post
            Just a change from 5 to 4 VLIW instructions doesn't seem particularly hard to support.

They are apparently starting to work on drivers now, so an open driver could be available on launch.
            You happened to know anything about low level shader compiler those drivers have to provide? S.I. is ALMOST another architecture. See, R500 is one architecture, R600/R700/even R800 is another architecture, and S.I. is a new, next gen architecture.

We still haven't got R700 sorted out quite well have we? So we are practically 2 generations behind already.

Comment

HAHAHA, let's wait and see, this will be yet another time you ATI lovers are proven wrong.
              Keep on flaming away, fanboy.

As for the details, call me making shit up all you want
              Seriously, where are you getting your information from? Everything I've seen says that SI will be a minor update based off of Evergreen that will focus on making things more efficient. So when you come in here talking about how they're going to have to completely rewrite the driver from scratch I'm justifiably dubious.

To me, Evergreen is soon begin to phase out and yet there is still no OSS support, not even 2D accel. That is one EPIC FAIL for me.
              I really doubt you own an Evergreen card, therefore your opinion really doesn't matter, does it?

Anyway, the OSS support is there if you're willing to compile it and work around the bugs.

More to the point, who would actually go out and buy an Evergreen card, and then a few months later throw it away for a brand new SI card? That makes no sense - you should care about Evergreen support for more than just the few months when they are brand new because they will continue to be in use for a long time.

I really don't know why i'm even bothering responding to such an obvious troll, i must be really bored tonight.

Comment

Working...
              X